Management Sweeney addresses media: All Sweeney Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Thus far it looks like Craig Smith and then the changes are a youth movement and see what shakes out. That does qualify as a significant change even if it is not what most of us thought.

If the plan was for a youth movement then why sign Craig Smith? He essentially blocks your most promising young prospect and takes his spot on the 3rd line. (I thought the line of Bjork-Coyle-Studnicka was pretty good in the playoffs.)

I also don't think what they've done qualifies as significant change. With the exception of Smith, the 12 favorites to start the season at forward all played here last year, with Lindholm stepping in for Nordstrom. Kuhlman was here last year. Words out they expect to sign Chara, which means 6 of your 7 defensemen are the same with Gryz replacing Krug, and Lauzon sliding into the 3rd pair LD slot. Kevan Miller was on the roster last year. Adding Zboril as your 7th/8th d and Senyshyn as your 13/14th forward isn't a significant change. They have the same goalies as last year...

member 96824

I thought they looked ok vs Cane

But was a zero vs TBL

Kase finished with no goals since traded. That is unacceptable imo

I wouldn't shed a tear if both Kase and Ritchie were traded for future picks

Would rather see the mins go to Stud, Frederic, Senyshyn

You'd rather have Zach Senyshyn than Ondrej Kase?

Reactions: maxl7

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
A lot of negative vibes around here...perhaps some of you guys forgot about Greg McKegg?

Any GM can throw money around at guys who score a ton or defend well. But this guy - his first and last names rhyme!

I saw a lot of mcKegg on the Rangers last year and he was one of the worst players I have ever seen. I obviously don't work for an NHL team but I have no idea how or why the Bruins would think he could contribute in any way at any level. Must have been a favor to his agent or something.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
If the plan was for a youth movement then why sign Craig Smith? .
They had a very good team last season and have added 4 upgrades at wing, which has been a weak spot for years: Kase, Studnicka, Smith, and Ri... Well, let's call it 3 upgrades. But now we are starting the season with 9 top 9 forwards who can drive play, which is a big deal in terms of tilting the ice a bit. I don't see a problem mixing and matching those three on different lines.

Now, either our young LD really have to step up or we need a trade, or both.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
PlayMakers said:
If the plan was for a youth movement then why sign Craig Smith? .​

Offseason is still not over yet... if Bruins sign Hoffman. Team turns into a contender

Worst case you can trade Smith for assets. He is on an excellent contract and is reliable 20 goal a season producer

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Might not just be Sweeney. If Neely can't get his GM to take direction then what's his role?

Brian Burke as President, Mark Hunter as GM?

I think they have an organizational problem. I'd get rid of everyone. Frankly, anyone who was in that room for the Seguin conversation in 2013 that they showed on Behind the B has no business still being here.

Of course, the ideal scenario is that Delaware North is in such a bad position that Jacobs is forced to sell the team and the new owner cleans house, but I'm not holding my breath on that idea.

I definitely don't want Brian Burke here, or Mark Hunter. They need an organizational philosophy change, and not one that sets them back like Brian Burke would.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I saw a lot of mcKegg on the Rangers last year and he was one of the worst players I have ever seen. I obviously don't work for an NHL team but I have no idea how or why the Bruins would think he could contribute in any way at any level. Must have been a favor to his agent or something.

I find it hard to believe that a guy named Greg McKegg isn't awesome.

So I will reserve judgment until I see him (playing 2LW on Opening Night).

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
He was decent with the Canes the year prior. I never watched him on the Rangers but I think it's possible that David Quinn isn't all that good of an NHL coach.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Offseason is still not over yet... if Bruins sign Hoffman. Team turns into a contender

Worst case you can trade Smith for assets. He is on an excellent contract and is reliable 20 goal a season producer

XXX - McAvoy
Grizz - Carlo
XXX - Clifton

Contender? Has the NHL outlawed playing defense?

Reactions: Gordoff

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
I feel insane to think this way with some of the comments I read but... I think the team as it stands now is clearly better than the team going into last season.

I honestly don't think losing Krug hurts them significantly. When Krejci took his spot at the point in the bubble the powerplay looked just as good if not better. Krug made some great plays but he's not a singular, irreplaceable talent. He didn't contribute meaningfully 5v5 offensively and was pretty poor defensively. To me, it's not a huge loss. Probably gonna get crucified for saying that but whatever.

At forward Kase, Smith and Ritchie are a pretty clear cut upgrade over Heinen, Backes and Nordstrom. Studnicka looks ready to push for a spot in the top 9. Ritchie and Kase got a bum rap with their play in the bubble but I'm going to cut them some slack since there was an unprecedented global lockdown within weeks of them joining the team. These guys are people like us all, they're young, I don't think it's crazy to think everything going on had some negative effect on their game. I know its fashionable to shit on Ritchie but he's shown more productivity than any of Bjork, Kuraly, Wagner, Kuhlman, etc. ever have. Not to mention both he and Kase are only 24. Some of you talk about them like they're 34 year old Lee Stempniak.

I don't like defending management and I'd still like to see some holes addressed but I'm not convinced things are as dire as some commentators seem to think. Yeah some other teams look improved this year but just plugging in new guys is no guarantee for success. We don't know how any of this is going to shake out so I'm not going to be fretting about Zach Bogosian and TJ Brodie just yet.

Reactions: Ritmo and Alan Ryan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Has offensive numbers like a defenseman, but he's not one.

Reactions: Gordoff and bp13

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
That's actually exactly what they tell. They're just numbers of what's happening on the ice...

Not to derail a thread about what a horrid job our front office does and how they should all be unemployed in the game of hockey, but what exactly do you think "analytics" are reporting back?
As I said they have a place but they should not be the be all, end all. Some geeks put more belief in analytics than a good hockey player. I have no idea but what were Lucic's analytics like in his prime years if they don't take intimidation, hits and goals into account? Is Tom Wilson an ineffective hockey player because he hits and scores or is some passive 3rd line midget more important to the Caps.

Did Billy Beane ever win a World Series in Oakland using analytics? Think Dubas is going to win a Cup in Toronto? When you stop being concerned about what is actually happening on the ice, when analytics can factor in intimidation, effort and leadership I will put more stock in them. until then I will look at them as one very small part of evaluating a player.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I honestly don't give a shit about the trade, that doesn't have any bearing on him as a player. Of course it was horrible, and an analytical approach could have told you that and prevented it from happening. But Chia is a typical gut-instinct Hockey Man and that kind of bullshit trade is what your preferred style of management gets you. However, well before the trade, even the most anti-stats, scoutiest scouts who ever scouted regarded Loui as among the best two-way wingers in the league. Trying to pit him as purely an analytics darling is absurd and revisionist. Again, you don't have to like the player but his impact on the team that year is right before your eyes.

DCIxFOxUQAAkqw0.jpg
I'm sorry is that Dubas posing with the cup at the hall of fame or another basement dweller who just told his mom how great Bjork's corsi and VOR numbers are?

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
As I said they have a place but they should not be the be all, end all. Some geeks put more belief in analytics than a good hockey player.

Nobody is arguing this and I have no idea what the hell you're talking about with the second sentence. Strawmen.

I have no idea but what were Lucic's analytics like in his prime years if they don't take intimidation, hits and goals into account? Is Tom Wilson an ineffective hockey player because he hits and scores or is some passive 3rd line midget more important to the Caps.

This feels like you don't understand publicly available analytics at all. Which is fine, you don't have to. Enjoy the game however you please But it really feels like you're criticizing from a place of ignorance here.[/QUOTE]

Did Billy Beane ever win a World Series in Oakland using analytics?
As we all know, Billy Beane is the only GM in baseball to use analytics. No other championship team ever heavily used analytical thinking as a major component in their team building.

When you stop being concerned about what is actually happening on the ice, when analytics can factor in intimidation, effort and leadership I will put more stock in them. until then I will look at them as one very small part of evaluating a player.

OXnOlf0.jpg

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
XXX - McAvoy
Grizz - Carlo
XXX - Clifton

Contender? Has the NHL outlawed playing defense?

D core will be fine. You forgot to list Lauzon, Vaaka, Zboril. Team also has Moore and Miller as backup vets

Chara and Krug had their share of issues from the backend. Trouble retrieving, carrying out with the puck/pinching in/joining the rush. And they logged a ton of mins

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I'm sorry is that Dubas posing with the cup at the hall of fame or another basement dweller who just told his mom how great Bjork's corsi and VOR numbers are?

No it's a guy who proves that you don't know what you're talking about.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Is that Neely's role?

I think so. The President is the highest executive in the organization. He decides what he wants his team to look like, what the culture is all about and what the team's goals should be. He hires a General Manager to execute that vision and ultimately decides whether or not the GM is meeting those expectations. In turn the GM handles the day to day business of fulfilling that vision and he in turn hires guys to assist in that endeavor, coaches who are in line with the philosophy and culture, scouts and other execs...

That's how I picture an organization running anyway.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
D core will be fine. You forgot to list Lauzon, Vaaka, Zboril. Team also has Moore and Miller as backup vets

Chara and Krug had their share of issues from the backend. Trouble retrieving, carrying out with the puck/pinching in/joining the rush. And they logged a ton of mins
I didn't list them because they werent good enough to play minutes for us last season when the two guys you named showed the warts you listed. If the left side ends up being all those young unproven guys, it will be because the GM failed to find quality options so he resorted to "youth!"

Put simply...if the goal was to make a few runs with a solid core, going into the season with several question marks on defense is/was terrible planning. So I'm left to conclude that wasn't the goal, which sucks for those guys.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
They are probably thinking: try and sign another FA forward, sign or trade Jake, ... then once they figure out what they have left for money maybe sign Chara at some point to mentor and be a back up plan should the kids falter. Chara as a 7th D playing every few games or every other game or even more if the kids can't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad