WC: Swedish NT accrued 7 million SEK in losses from WCH

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet reported in this article that the Swedish national team that won gold in Denmark had losses of 7 million SEK from participating in the tournament.
Reportedly it was due to expensive insurances of NHL players and that the sum the gold medal team gets is unreasonable when compared to any other competing nation.
The Swedish Hockey Federation is seeking to renegotiate how the income of the tournament is divided among the participating countries but says they can not act alone.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I'm genuinely worried for Swedish hockey. They recorded losses of over 30 million SEK in 2012-2013 when Sweden and Finland was host for the WCH and even participating in the WCH means losses in the millions for the Swedish hockey federation. They have already done significant cuts in the budget since the 2013 debacle. What will this mean for Swedish hockey in the future?

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So if Sweden lost money how can the US and Canadian teams not lose money?

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
So if Sweden lost money how can the US and Canadian teams not lose money?
I don't have any other reports. If you do and you can show that the US and Canadian federations actually make a profit then please post them here.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't have any other reports. If you do and you can show that the US and Canadian federations actually make a profit then please post them here.

Only way I can see Canada making money or breaking even is if they get some sponsorship thing other teams don't or they get all the money to the Canadian broadcast rights(I would assume this money though goes to the IIHF)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I am fairly certain that they look at the WCHs isolated with those numbers which don't tell the full story. A sponsor of TK sponsors them for the full year, but the WCHs is the biggest event and of course a lot of money is attributed to that tournament. If we didn't participate in the WCHs we would surely have a net loss.

But the WCHs and the IIHF is designed for the smaller growth countries. I do like that, I think most do, growing the game is so important. And its starting to give results, looking at Denmark and co. Many of us hates that the WCHs are played every year, but the WCH is a huge source of income for the IIHF and much of that money trickles down to the growth countries.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 1 WCH per year strategy changes though, I was sent a poll by the IIHF and a lot of questions were about how often the WCHs should be held, seems like they are looking into it. Have a U20 tournament in the spring every other year and a mens WCH every other year -- or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad