Swedes in North America

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Whats the deal with so many swedes in AHL? 73 swedes in AHL...

screenshot_1-png.602100

screenshot_2-png.602101

screenshot_3-png.602102

screenshot_4-png.602103

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
They all should be playing in Sweden, but North Americans wants to destroy our talent development by taking them too early and have them grind it out in the AHL for years on end, hanging the NHL carrot in front of their faces until they're in their late 20s and go to Switzerland with ruined confidences to earn some money.

Sad.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
They all should be playing in Sweden, but North Americans wants to destroy our talent development by taking them too early and have them grind it out in the AHL for years on end, hanging the NHL carrot in front of their faces until they're in their late 20s and go to Switzerland with ruined confidences to earn some money.

Sad.
Yeah, SHL teams should destroy our talent development instead!

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The AHL has been shifting to a younger league as of late. It allows players to stay close to NHL clubs and potentially be called up/sent down throughout the year, get accustomed to NA ice, and workout with their clubs personal/in their facilities.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Sad.
Lol this is an awfully biased way to look at things. Theres no proof that players develop better in either league.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
This url lists all Swedes in all North American leagues. Scary amount of Swedes

What’s scary about it?

A ton of those are college and high school kids, of dubious citizenship status and nationality (Swedish Swedes like Ryder Ritchie and Jordan Durkee), a ton of the names feature multiple times, why flame up over a few dozen dual-citizenship/kids of one Swedish parent/North Americans born in Sweden/college or high school students not playing in Swedish leagues?

Sad.

Should they?

We had a similar discussion like a year ago. I’m sure we’ll see a large amount of those names reappear in the SHL once they realize they aren’t cracking an NHL roster. Some were annoyed with a similarly long list of AHL Swedes last year, but it’s very worth noting that many of the names were back in Sweden at that point or soon afterwards. Händemark, Timashov, Kellman for instance left North America mid-season, others like Jesper Sellgren, Johannes Kinnvall and Andreas Wingerli are in the SHL this season. You also have a guy like Victor Berglund who was incredibly flawed at the SHL level whose merits for any SHL team I’d question, unless he’s improved his overall game considerably from the one-trick point shooter he was with Luleå.

At any rate, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the longer-shots to make an NHL roster this season will reappear in Sweden soon, such as Filip Hållander and Pontus Andreasson.

There still aren’t that many Swedes putting in several seasons toiling in the AHL.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Well I can speak to the three Leafs. Pontus Holmberg just got to the AHL this year and was recently called up, Liljegren was just there on a conditioning assignment returning from injury.

Carl Dahlstrom is a pure AHLer but at his age there's probably not much talent to destroy. Maybe he just likes living in Toronto idk

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Well I can speak to the three Leafs. Pontus Holmberg just got to the AHL this year and was recently called up, Liljegren was just there on a conditioning assignment returning from injury.

Carl Dahlstrom is a pure AHLer but at his age there's probably not much talent to destroy. Maybe he just likes living in Toronto idk
If I had to take a guess Dahlström signed his contract as a last shot at some NHL action. With his injury I doubt he squeezes in any games in the big league this season and will head back to Europe when this season is over.

I could see him, because of his injury, maybe take a 1 year contract from an NHL team if offered, but if he doesn't make the NHL at the end of that then he leaves for Europe.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
FTR.. if you guys want to get Bro out of the AHL and playing like a 1st rounder then my Oil would be very thankful! Happy to see Cowboy Willy is doing okay. I thought he'd be an NHLer by now (bottom pair).

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
What’s scary about it?

A ton of those are college and high school kids, of dubious citizenship status and nationality (Swedish Swedes like Ryder Ritchie and Jordan Durkee), a ton of the names feature multiple times, why flame up over a few dozen dual-citizenship/kids of one Swedish parent/North Americans born in Sweden/college or high school students not playing in Swedish leagues?

Scary as in "wow, there are that many Swedes playing hockey in North America?!". I have no objection really.. A hardcore Swedish hockey fan would have a hard time recognizing any of the players outside of the NHL/AHL/NCAA/USHL/CHL jr guys.

80% of the players are really lower level type of players. If I was a so-so junior in Sweden, not good enough to play in the top league, I would not hesitate to go on an adventure abroad and play USPHL Premier and whatnot.

(and there is a filter on that page which allows you to exclude dual citizenship players, removing the likes of Ryder Ritchie etc)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pilut is up in Buffalo and has looked good enough that I have doubts that he would go back down to the AHL. Weissbach is probably a recall at some point if they have multiple scoring line injuries. Rosen and Cederqvist as first year guys have played well.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Pilut is up in Buffalo and has looked good enough that I have doubts that he would go back down to the AHL. Weissbach is probably a recall at some point if they have multiple scoring line injuries. Rosen and Cederqvist as first year guys have played well.
And how is Samuelsson doing, he is also swedish.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
On opening night, there were 590 players on NHL rosters who have played in the AHL before. That's 83%.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the AHL is a good development path, let alone a better one than the SHL. But while the "dangling the NHL carrot" metaphor may be true for some players, there's no denying that AHL players actually do get the chance to graduate to the NHL.

The "problem" is that there aren't all that many spots in the NHL but an endless list of players who want to make it there. So naturally a bunch of them will be stuck in the AHL and return home (or to Switzerland) eventually.

This isn't exclusive to Swedes, Sweden just has a large number of talented players, so it's more noticeable. Of course we'd all love to have the most talented Swedes in Sweden until they make the NHL, the most talented Finns in Finland, the most talented Germans in Germany, and so on. But both from a team and player perspective, it often makes sense to take the AHL step.

Reactions: Czechboy

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
When was the last time there was no swedish player in the Stanley Cup winning team? I can´t just remember. I think theres almost "always" been at least one swede. You have a lots of Stanley Cup winners.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
We got a lot of "lagom" good players. Lets start develop great and fantastic forwards. Got some on D, but the forwards aint near as good.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
We got a lot of "lagom" good players. Lets start develop great and fantastic forwards. Got some on D, but the forwards aint near as good.
Actually our D was really good before aswell.

Lidström - Kronwall
Jönsson - Norström
Kim Johnsson - Hävelid

Best possible in 2006 for exemple. We also had Lundkvist in net. We dont have superstar goalie anymore either

Reactions: ZEBROA

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
When was the last time there was no swedish player in the Stanley Cup winning team? I can´t just remember. I think theres almost "always" been at least one swede. You have a lots of Stanley Cup winners.

The 2014 Kings were the last championship team without a single Swedish player on it. The 2012 Kings, 2011 Bruins and 2009 Penguins were also without Swedes on their rosters.

Here are some facts I researched a while back that do not strictly apply to Swedes but rather European players in general:

The last time the Cup champs consisted of 100% North American players were the 1993 Canadiens. The last time none of the Stanley Cup finalists dressed a European player was in 1978 when the Habs beat the Bruins.

The first European to play in the Cup finals was Finn Matti Hagman who dressed for one game with the Bruins in the 1977 SCF.

The first Euro to win a Stanley Cup was Stefan Persson with the 1980 Islanders.

2018 (Bolts-Stars) had a record amount of European players in the Cup finals, with 18.

I’m pretty sure the 2008 Red Wings were the Cup champs with the most Swedes on its roster, with 7.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1667777804543.png

Top 10 Swedes so far this season...

I really enjoy the list because people on HF (not me!) keep saying Karlsson is done, Dahlin is a bust and Pettersson is not that good anymore.lol

68 Swedes have played at least 1 game.

8 goalies have played at least 1 game. So over 75 players so far. WOW

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
View attachment 604381

Top 10 Swedes so far this season...

I really enjoy the list because people on HF (not me!) keep saying Karlsson is done, Dahlin is a bust and Pettersson is not that good anymore.lol

68 Swedes have played at least 1 game.

8 goalies have played at least 1 game. So over 75 players so far. WOW
People (Me Included) are so quick to pass judgements.

We’re all too quick to move onto the next “hot“ thing.

Dahlin has put up middling numbers on crappy Sabres teams at ages 18,19,20 and 21? DISSAPOINTMENT! Owen Power is their next superstar defender, not dahlin.

Erik Karlsson is playing second fiddle to Brent Burns on a crappy Sharks team? WASHED, not even worth his contract at half retention.

Elias Pettersson has only put up good numbers since he won the calder at 20??? Overrated, needs to be thrown to the curb - tank for Bedard.

MOST players don’t fully realize their potential until the ages of 23/24/25 anyway - we see it time and time again, yet as hockey fans we are so quick to write a player off that isn’t preforming admirably at 20/21/22 - no matter the circumstance.

20 year old Quienton Byfield is being dragged through the mud for not producing PPG numbers, so is Lafreniere, so is Kakko - patience with these guys - more likely than not a few will figure it out like many highly touted players before then.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
People (Me Included) are so quick to pass judgements.

We’re all too quick to move onto the next “hot“ thing.

Dahlin has put up middling numbers on crappy Sabres teams at ages 18,19,20 and 21? DISSAPOINTMENT! Owen Power is their next superstar defender, not dahlin.

Erik Karlsson is playing second fiddle to Brent Burns on a crappy Sharks team? WASHED, not even worth his contract at half retention.

Elias Pettersson has only put up good numbers since he won the calder at 20??? Overrated, needs to be thrown to the curb - tank for Bedard.

MOST players don’t fully realize their potential until the ages of 23/24/25 anyway - we see it time and time again, yet as hockey fans we are so quick to write a player off that isn’t preforming admirably at 20/21/22 - no matter the circumstance.

20 year old Quienton Byfield is being dragged through the mud for not producing PPG numbers, so is Lafreniere, so is Kakko - patience with these guys - more likely than not a few will figure it out like many highly touted players before then.
All of this!!!

I'll also add comparing stats between different stages and leagues

Eg. comparing a 19 year old with .5ppg in the AHl vs a 19 year old in, say, the OHL at 1.0ppg. AHL is brutally hard for teenagers. I noticed a few young swedes are tearing up the AHL.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Sad.
Maybe a lot of playets are afraid of being off the NHL scouts radar if staying in their homecountry l3ague. Thats very sad, and bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad