Swedens wjc 2010 roster

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
If Sweden ever had a chance to win the wjc it was with this team, but we messed up :shakehead

Being a homer I just wanted to show that this team really had some great talent. So far 1 year and a couple of months later:

Goalies:
Jacob Markström and Robin Lehner has allready played their first NHL-games. Anders Nilsson looks like a beast this season, only allowed 3 goals in three SEL-playoff games. 91,8% in regular season. 96,2% so far in the playoffs.

D-men: (Hedman and Karlsson couldn´t come, Urbom not selected)
Oliver Ekman Larsson, no instant sucess, but still a NHL-player. 11 points in his rookie season. From SEL-2 to NHL is a big step to take.
Mattias Ekholm Incredible rookie season in SEL with 33 points, 10 goals. Plays for the national team now.
Tim Erixon Broke the record for most points by a junior defenseman with 24 points in SEL.
Lukas Kilström A solid SEL-defenseman by now, 13 points this season and good defensively.
Adam Larsson Expected more points from him, but has developed defensively, and still looks great, 9 points this season
David Rundblad Amazing season, second best in scoring by a d-man in SEL alltimes, 50 points this season.
Peter Andersson Sadly looks like a bust at this point, bad season at least, mostly played in SEL-2. Signed by Vancouver, AHL next year?

Forwards:
Daniel Brodin Surprise pick for the roster in 2010, that have progressed good and has played as a role player for the national team. 13 points in SEL.
Marcus Johansson Good first season in NHL. Has 21 points so far, but his overall play indicates great potential.
Jacob Josefsson Have been injured for a long stretch, is starting to become a regular for New jersey now, 3 points in NHL so far.
Carl Klingberg Awful start at the season, receiving very little icetime for his SEL-team, then changed SEL-team and started to produce a bit. Crossing over to AHL now. 8 points in SEL
Marcus Krüger Having yet another good season in SEL. Plays for the national team now, you can likely watch him in in the world cup. 35 points in SEL.
Anton Lander Didn´t have a good wjc, but played amazing after the tournament and saved his team Timrå from relegation series. 24 points in SEL
Martin Lundberg Solid SEL-player by now. 11 points this season.
André Petersson Having a awful year with back-problems that might cost him his career. Missed a lot of games put up 12 points in SEL.
Magnus Pääjärvi I expected more but at least he is a regular NHL-player and he is still just 19. Put up 26 points so far.
Dennis Rasmussen Looks great in SEL-2. I would be very surprised if he is not a SEL-player next year. 33 points in SEL-2
Anton Rödin Didn´t make any impact his last season as a junior for his SEL-team Brynäs and only put up 5 points. This year he has looked good and put up 26 points.
Jakob Silfverberg More than doubled his point totals from 2010 and put up 34 points in SEL. Also played for the national team.
Mattias Tedenby Surprisingly grabbed a NHL-spot. Have put up 16 points and looks great at least offensively.

So seven of the players from the team have allready played at least a game in NHL. I would be surprised if we wont see at least Larsson, Rundblad, Erixon and Krüger playing some next season. Silfverberg will probably get a chance if he choses to come over, Lander might come over and get a shot for Edmonton. Ekholm probably stays in SEL, but looks like a future NHL-player to me. I don´t know what will happen with Rödin, but he sure has developed in the right direction.

We have yet to see a player from this team have a definite breakout season like John Carlsson, Cam Fowler and Dererk Stepan from USA:s gold team 2010, or Taylor Hall, Alex Pietrangelo from Canadas silver team, but things are looking bright for most of the players from the 2010- team.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I preferred 2009's team. Too bad they bottled it in the final.

The 2008-team and the 2009-team didn´t have the same kind of talent level, even though those teams made it to the finals.

The 2008-team included guys like Eric Moe that is struggling even at SEL-2 level, Johan Motin that was recently sent to ECHL, Johan Alcén that now plays in SEL-3 and Tomas Larsson that is kind of a failed fourthline grinder in SEL-2 nowadays.

The 2009-team included the tiny Carl Gustafsson that failed to get a new contract for his SEL-team and ended up in SEL-2, Anton Persson that produced 3 points in 36 games for his SEL-2 club and decent d-men like Viktor Ekbom and Nichlas Torp that might have a hard time finding a SEL-team that will sign them after this season.

The 2008 and 2009 teams perhaps had more fighting spirit and was perhaps better built as teams though.

Seven players that allready played a nhl-game + 3 more with NHL-experience (Hedman, Karlsson and Urbom) that was eligble for the tournament is really good from a swedish perpesctive. Compare that to the 2004 team for example. The guys from that team have had six more years to make an impact and get a chance in NHL, despite that only four of the players have NHL-experience (Loui Erksson, Tobias Enström, Alexander Steen and Robert Nilsson). Only two players can be considered to be impact players on a european level (Johan Fransson in KHL and Nicklas Danielsson that had a good year in SEL).

Last edited:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yup, around 15 of these will probably be regular NHLers. Among those who crossed the pond last summer, many have served some AHL time but they're all with the big club now except the goaltenders. I excpect something similar for those going this summer, don't see any of them stuck in the AHL for too long except maybe Rodin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad