WJC: Sweden's chance for a gold medal at this years WJC?

SChan*

Is it finally time? What chances do you give Sweden this year in Buffalo? It depends on the players. This year sweden could miss:

Paajarvi
OEL
Josefson
Lehner

That's a pretty bad break for us and could cost a medal. (Yes I know Canada misses more players than us.)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Nemeth is apparently gone aswell. We needed his size.

If we're ever going to ctand a chance we need a goalie who's standing on his head... and not the way Markstrom stood on his head last time around:sarcasm:

And then there's always the X-factor which always favours Canada; The reffing.

And yeah, I don't think any other nation will stand a chance, competing with Canada - other than us and USA.

SChan*

Nemeth is apparently gone aswell. We needed his size.

If we're ever going to ctand a chance we need a goalie who's standing on his head... and not the way Markstrom stood on his head last time around:sarcasm:

And yeah, I don't think any other nation will stand a chance, competing with Canada - other than us and USA.
Nemeth gone is a big blow but injuries happen

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Canada and USA are pretty big frontrunners for the gold imo, even bigger now that the tournament is played at small rinks. Sweden along with Russia are the bronze candidates. But with single-elimination everything can happen.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Looking quite tough this year with so many good players gone and we'll see how Rönnberg does with this team.

Especially since Russia and Finland look very good this year IMO.

Sweden's team should be good enough to medal, but I'm not expecting gold.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would put Sweden as having the fourth best odds of winning, with a decently sized gap between the top two (Canada USA) and the next two (Russia Sweden). It's too bad that Ekman Larsson isn't playing, since he would probably be the best defenceman eligible to play in the tournament.

The true reason for Canada's hockey success.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
USA and Canada is defenitely favourites and Sweden merely a outsider.
Missing Oel, Mps and Josefsson will be a hard blow for a team that don´t have the amazing depth of the NA teams. Still this years team is still better than the 2008 team that was very close to winning, so theres always a slim chance.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Exactly. The tournament hasn't even started and some people are getting ready to excuse themselves for losing...

Well, you know it is going to happen through experience - why wait until after it happened to say something about it?

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Well, you know it is going to happen through experience - why wait until after it happened to say something about it?

Oh, look, it's this video. Again.

Anyone could easily go ahead and make a video for any team about all the ****** calls or missed calls in a tournament, use it as "proof" of a conspiracy and refuse to give other teams any credit. But that would be pathetic.

Regardless, what does a tournament from 1987 have to do with today's? Hilarious that people are still butthurt after 23 years. :whine: :cry:

Last edited:

Pyke*

According to the Sens Board; Team 1200 (Ottawa's radio station for Sens) says Lehner was released to Sweden for the tournament.

chopkins

Super Bowl Champs
Aug 7, 2009
Vancouver

You'd think one would be able to find a more recent video if the refs helped the Canadians win every tournament....

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Is it finally time? What chances do you give Sweden this year in Buffalo? It depends on the players. This year sweden could miss:

Paajarvi
OEL
Josefson
Lehner

That's a pretty bad break for us and could cost a medal. (Yes I know Canada misses more players than us.)

A quick look at the pools,
A - Canada, Russia, Sweden, Czechs, Norway
B - USA, Finland, Slovakia, Switzerland, Germany

Pool A - Expect Canada, Russia, Sweden to advance
Pool B - Expect USA to win, Finland to advance, and toss up between Slovakia and Switzerland

Pool winners advance to semis, so I would expect both of Pool A's #2 and #3 seeds to beat Finland and the other seed.

So, 2 of Pool A would play each other in the semis, the other one gets the USA, IMO.

So, realistically, each of those teams has 2 games to grab a medal.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
They have a shot, and should be one of the favorites to medal. But I'd say that Finland should be stronger then last season and as long as the coach isn't a head case Russia is dangerous. They're probably the best of the second tier this time around, Canada and the US have to be the favorites though.

lmao-20100212-144341.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes