Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Svechnikov
Gusev - Namestnikov - Dadonov
Kovalchuk - Barbashev - Radulov

Orlov - Provorov
Sergachev - Zaitsev
Gavrikov - Kulikov

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
The big swedish strengh is thier depth and very balanced roster(inc. probably the best D in world). Their major weakness is the peak in OF. This is however the big strengh of Russia the high level player in OF. The rest is unbalanced(particulary D)!

I vote Sweden

Last edited:

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Looks like it's a new NA era for national teams coming up as both Sweden and Russia have regressed since the last best on best tourney. Finland is on their way forward however but not fast enough. Still lacks depth and elite defense. Right now it's:
1. Canada
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
7/8. Switzerland, Slovakia
9. Germany
10. Denmark

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Sweden is going to have a nasty defence at the next olympics. Dahlin should be ready for prime-time and Hedman will still be a force. Russia is really talented, but their defence lacks star power and depth.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Sweden is going to have a nasty defence at the next olympics. Dahlin should be ready for prime-time and Hedman will still be a force. Russia is really talented, but their defence lacks star power and depth.

Would love to see a pre tournament next World Cup with Switzerland, Slovakia, Germany and Denmark fighting for 2 spots instead of gimmick teams. Would also build up more excitement around the tournament, that you should feel honored to be there, that it means something. Let's also hope NHL players will be released for the next Olympics.

Imagine for example if Draisaitl would take the Germans all the way from pre tourney to an unexpected best of 3 final vs USA with all the Oilers fans cheering for Germany. That would be awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Looks like it's a new NA era for national teams coming up as both Sweden and Russia have regressed since the last best on best tourney. Finland is on their way forward however but not fast enough. Still lacks depth and elite defense. Right now it's:
1. Canada
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
9. Germany
10. Denmark
But the typical kind of hockeyplay(incl. top coaching) makes Finland as a dangerous opponent for NA.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Sweden but I would have Rakell on the top line with EP and Zibby
Why would you want Nylander to get less ice time? Guy was Swedens best player last time and Rakell is not a guy who is going to replace Nylander lol

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
1. Canada
2. USA
3. Sweden
4. Russia
5. Finland
6. Czech Republic
9. Germany
10. Denmark

I don't know how one can rank a team who never wins anything as number 2? Most of you people in here was not even born when they won a gold last time. Jacks and Mathews mothers was still kids.

One cannot rationalise having USA as number 2 when there is such a loser culture in the team. They are the England of ice hockey looks decent on papper but never wins.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
That Russian top line though...

Overall it’s Sweden though quite comfortably

But that Panarin - Malkin - Kucherov line could do so much damage especially on the power play. Need to simulate this game on NHL 20 and the how it plays out. Interesting to see Hedman/Ekholm teaming up on the pk with Backlund and Silfverberg trying to stop the Russian bombardment.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Woops. Meant to vote Sweden, but can't change my vote. I misclicked.

Russia has hands down the best elite talent up front. Sweden doesn't come close. I do think Sweden has a deeper roster overall though. The defence tips the scales, imo. The gap between the Russian forwards vs Swedish forwards is smaller than the gap on defence. Goaltending is a wildcard, and both teams have guys who can steal games.

Maag80

Jun 24, 2020
Someone mentioned above that the Czech Republic would be sixth in the world. I have to ask here; Maybe that's right considering the depth? But, they have a lot of top talent.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Someone mentioned above that the Czech Republic would be sixth in the world. I have to ask here; Maybe that's right considering the depth? But, they have a lot of top talent.

They have some good players (Voracek, Krejci, Hertl, Kubalik, Vrana, Palat), but Pasta is the only one who would definitely make the top 6 of any of the other countries above them.

Reactions: Maag80

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Nylander < Panarin
Pettersson < Malkin
Zibanejad < Kucherov
Forsberg < Ovechkin
Bäckström =< Kuznetsov
Landeskog >= Svechnikov
Rakell > Gusev
W. Karlsson > Namestnikov
E. Lindholm > Dadonov
Nyqvist >= Kovalchuk (at this point)
Backlund > Barbashev
Silfverberg >= Radulov (at this point)

Hedman >> Orlov
Karlsson > Provorov
OEL > Sergachev
Klingberg > Zaitsev
Ekholm >> Gavrikov
Dahlin >> Kulikov

After Russias top 5 it's actually Sweden by an enormous margin, which erases the advantage of Russia's high end offensive talent.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's funny that goalies are omitted because I think Russia has an advantage here that could offset the D discrepancy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's funny that goalies are omitted because I think Russia has an advantage here that could offset the D discrepancy.

Lehner's arguably been the best goalie in the NHL over the last two years. I don't see a big advantage for Russia if any.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Goalies are a big advantage for Russia.

Based on op though, Sweden. Russia has the better high end players but as usual the depth and D is crap (not overall but in comparison to the other big countries).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Corsica has Lehner as 4th best this season. Only one of three goalies with over 4000 minutes in the last two seasons to have a GSAA/60 of .5 or over in the last two.

If someone wants to explain what about his play hasn't matched up to this stats then I'm all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad