Hughes - Carlson
Suter - DeAngelo
Yandle - Fox
Sorry Granny as C in 2nd line? Filppula? My first 2 Lines(FIN):

Patrik Laine - Aleksander Barkov - Mikko Rantanen
Teuvo Teräväinen - Sebastian Aho - Joonas Donskoi

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sweden and US rosters are far closer to each other. Finland is just miles behind both.

Reactions: Love

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Hm before I vote...

(between USA and Sweden obviously)

nylander < Pacioretty
Pettersson ~ Matthews
Zib < Kane
Forsberg ~ Connor
Backstrom < Eichel
Landeskog < Wheeler
Rakell < Goudreau
Miller ~ Karlsson
Rust < Lindholm
Tkachuk >~ Nyqvist
Larkin > Backlund
Oshie >~ Silfverberg

Hedman > Hughes
Karlsson > Carlson
OEL > Suter
Klingberg > DeAngelo
Ekholm > Yandle
Dahlin >~ Fox

Really depends on how high you value defense/defense production. But Sweden has really fallen behind in terms of forwards the last couple of years. I remember in the 2016 World Cup almost nobody had them below top 2, even remember an article claiming they were #1 roster (!) I think that was a couple of months before the tournament when all the swedes were doing xtra well but still...

Reactions: jetsforever

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Hm before I vote...

nylander < Pacioretty
Pettersson ~ Matthews
Zib < Kane
Forsberg ~ Connor
Backstrom < Eichel
Landeskog < Wheeler
Rakell < Goudreau
Miller ~ Karlsson
Rust < Lindholm
Tkachuk >~ Nyqvist
Larkin > Backlund
Oshie >~ Silfverberg

Hedman > Hughes
Karlsson > Carlson
OEL > Suter
Klingberg > DeAngelo
Ekholm > Yandle
Dahlin >~ Fox

Really depends on how high you value defense/defense production. But Sweden has really fallen behind in terms of forwards the last couple of years. I remember in the 2016 World Cup almost nobody had them below top 2, even remember an article claiming they were #1 roster (!) I think that was a couple of months before the tournament when all the swedes were doing xtra well but still...
I don't know about that Karlsson > Carlson one, right now.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Pacioretty ~ Nylander
Matthews > Pettersson
Kane > Zib
Connor > Forsberg
Eichel > Backstrom
Wheeler ~ Landeskog
Gaudreau > Rakell
JT Miller > Karlsson
Rust ~ Elias Lindholm
Matt Tkachuk > Nyqvuist
Larkin > Backlund
Oshie > Silferberg

Hughes << Hedman
Carlson >> Karlsson
Suter > Oel
Dengelo < Klinberg
Yandle < < Ekholm
Fox ~ Dahlin

Overall US forwards are far far superior. The swedes dont have a single forward better than the American comparison counterpart and only have a few equal. The swedes defense is considerably better than the US defense though not enough to make up for the huge gap in offense/forwards) between the two teams. US is first then Swedes and last Finns

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Hm before I vote...

nylander < Pacioretty
Pettersson ~ Matthews
Zib < Kane
Forsberg ~ Connor
Backstrom < Eichel
Landeskog < Wheeler
Rakell < Goudreau
Miller ~ Karlsson
Rust < Lindholm
Tkachuk >~ Nyqvist
Larkin > Backlund
Oshie >~ Silfverberg

Hedman > Hughes
Karlsson > Carlson
OEL > Suter
Klingberg > DeAngelo
Ekholm > Yandle
Dahlin >~ Fox

Yep the 2016 Team Sweden was a different beast.

Forwards much much better with Zetterberg still very very good, the Sedins still solid, Forsberg better than now, Bäckström still in his prime, Steen was a borderline star player, Louie Eriksson was his Boston self... etc. Only thing is that Pettersson wasn't there, otherwise it was just better.

And even the defense, as good as it is now, was clearly better. Karlsson still in his prime, Strålman was a top pairing guy and had chemistry with Hedman, Lindholm was considered the next Lidström almost, Hjalmarsson was viewed as one of the top defensive defensemen in the league, OEL had more superstar status than he has now. Even NHL.com ranked Sweden's D above Canada's: Best World Cup defensemen ranked by NHL.com

Add to this a prime Lundqvist and you get the picture. Sweden's roster was no 2 after Canada with a clear margin to no 3, closer to #1 than to #3 tbh. Now they are probably fighting hard for the 3rd spot vs Russia.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Pacioretty ~ Nylander
Matthews > Pettersson
Kane > Zib
Connor > Forsberg
Eichel > Backstrom
Wheeler ~ Landeskog
Gaudreau > Rakell
JT Miller > Karlsson
Rust ~ Elias Lindholm
Matt Tkachuk > Nyqvuist
Larkin > Backlund
Oshie > Silferberg

Hughes << Hedman
Carlson >> Karlsson
Suter > Oel

Dengelo < Klinberg
Yandle < < Ekholm
Fox ~ Dahlin

Overall US forwards are far far superior. The swedes dont have a single forward better than the American comparison counterpart and only have a few equal. The swedes defense is considerably better than the US defense though not enough to make up for the huge gap in offense/forwards) between the two teams. US is first then Swedes and last Finns

Hm... don't know if serious

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hm... don't know if serious
John Carlson is going to win the Norris or atleast be top 3 this year. He has led the league in points from the backend 2 out of three past years and has the most points by a defender in the past 3 seasons. He has outstanding playoff performances in the same time period. Erik Karlsson now isnt a top 10 defender. He wont be getting top 10 votes for the Norris this season. Barring a major comeback he will be a mid to low end 1D for the next few years.

Suter has been better than OEL every year OEL has been in the NHL. Current OEL has seen his play decline greatly and Arizona fans were frustrated with his performance over the last 2 years or so. Suter was on pace for 55 points while being a strong defensive player who can play huge minutes. OEL is lower than Erik Karlsson right now, he is a low end number 1D who is living off of past reputation for playing well in a small market team.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'm not sure how you chose the rosters, but not including guys like McDonagh, Jones, Werenski, McAvoy or Krug on the USA D group is extremely questionable.
I was wondering why the US defense seemed weak. Keith yandle shouldnt be anywhere near the team and honestly Hughes and Fox are not better than Jones/Mcavoy/Weresnki yet either

Mar 26, 2010
USA > Sweden > Finland

Matthews and Eichel are the 2 best players here, they are WAY ahead of the pack. A few tiers above.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
I'm not sure how you chose the rosters, but not including guys like McDonagh, Jones, Werenski, McAvoy or Krug on the USA D group is extremely questionable.

It was a bit of recency bias tbh, why I worded it "currently" but there's an argument off course to be made choosing these players instead.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Hm before I vote...

nylander < Pacioretty
Pettersson ~ Matthews
Zib < Kane
Forsberg ~ Connor
Backstrom < Eichel
Landeskog < Wheeler
Rakell < Goudreau
Miller ~ Karlsson
Rust < Lindholm
Tkachuk >~ Nyqvist
Larkin > Backlund
Oshie >~ Silfverberg

Hedman > Hughes
Karlsson > Carlson
OEL > Suter
Klingberg > DeAngelo
Ekholm > Yandle
Dahlin >~ Fox

Petterson is not equal to Matthew's and Karlsson is not better than Carlson

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
with this d-core Sweden probably wins
Hughes - Carlson
Suter - DeAngelo
Yandle - Fox

With the d-core below the us would be on top.

jones- Carlson
Slavin- Mcavoy
Suter- Weresnki

Carlson<Hedman
Jones>Karlsson
Mcavoy>oel
Slavin> Klinberg
Weresnki>Ekholm
Suter>Dahlin

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I like both USAs top end talent and depth at forward over Sweden, and while I probably prefer Sweden's defense a bit more, the decline of Karlsson, Klingberg and OEL make it a lot closer than the forwards. Finland doesn't really compare in terms of talent outside of the top 6 forwards, though they always seem to be better than the sum of their parts.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Pacioretty ~ Nylander
Matthews > Pettersson
Kane > Zib
Connor > Forsberg
Eichel > Backstrom
Wheeler ~ Landeskog
Gaudreau > Rakell
JT Miller > Karlsson
Rust ~ Elias Lindholm
Matt Tkachuk > Nyqvuist
Larkin > Backlund
Oshie > Silferberg

Hughes << Hedman
Carlson >> Karlsson
Suter > Oel
Dengelo < Klinberg
Yandle < < Ekholm
Fox ~ Dahlin

The d core is very close, I don’t know about considerably better. USA could even be better

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Sweden>US>Finland

are those rosters meant to be their current best on best rosters? If so where are Slavin and Lindholm?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Sweden's defence is the best but I think the US's high-end forwards win it for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad