Sweden top line vs Finland top line

Which unit is better?

• Total voters

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Let's revisit this national rivalry again as Finland has closed the gap immensely (especially) this season in terms of high end talent. Sweden still has superior depth so I choose to focus on each countries best possible top units in this poll.

Sweden

Pettersson - Bäckström - Zibanejad
Hedman - Klingberg
Markström

Finland

Aho - Barkov - Rantanen
Heiskanen - Ristolainen
Rask

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
How is this Finland??

Pettersson ~ Barkov (not this season but in general, just look at all the polls and lists prior to this season where EP was well ahead everywhere)
Backstrom ~ Aho
Zib ~< Rantanen

Hedman > Heiskanen
Klingberg >> Ristolainen

Goalies: no opinion

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
How is this Finland??

Pettersson ~ Barkov (not this season but in general, just look at all the polls and lists prior to this season where EP was well ahead everywhere)
Backstrom ~ Aho
Zib ~< Rantanen

Hedman > Heiskanen
Klingberg >> Ristolainen

I don't think Pettersson is even remotely as good as Barkov. Aho is tiny bit better than Backs and Rantanen is better than Zib. Forwards is easily Finnish trio IMO. Defense is even more clearly Sweden though.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
How is this Finland??

Backstrom ~ Aho
Zib ~< Rantanen

Hedman > Heiskanen
Klingberg >> Ristolainen

Barkov destroys Pettersson lol.

What are you talking about ?

It's not even close if you really look at that lineup.

Sweden is deeper. But that first unit would take Sweden to the woodshed.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Let's revisit this national rivalry again as Finland has closed the gap immensely (especially) this season in terms of high end talent. Sweden still has superior depth so I choose to focus on each countries best possible top units in this poll.

Sweden

Hedman - Klingberg
Markström

Finland

Aho - Barkov - Rantanen
Heiskanen - Ristolainen
Rask

Umm. Risto isn't Finland's 2nd best d-man thou....
nor Klingberg the 2nd best Swedish d-man....

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Sweden

Hedman - Klingberg
Markström

Finland

Aho - Barkov - Rantanen
Heiskanen - Ristolainen
Rask

I`d argue that Finland actually has better depth on forwards than Sweden. Sweden has hands down better D though.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
How is this Finland??

Backstrom ~ Aho
Zib ~< Rantanen

Hedman > Heiskanen
Klingberg >> Ristolainen

Is that a joke? In what way is Barkov equivalent to Pettersson

Also Hedman is a fair bit better than Heiskanen

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
How are the goalies considered being in the first line? Also the only Swede making the Finnish line-up is Hedman.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Comparing the second forward-unit would be also interesting

Finland:

Teräväinen-Hintz-Laine (When ever he pulls his sh*t together again)

Sweden:

Landeskog-Lindholm-Forsberg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ben White said:

GIF-Christian-Bale-confused-dafuq-disturbed-incredulous-perplexed-wait-what-confused-wrong-WTF-GIF.gif

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Is that a joke? In what way is Barkov equivalent to Pettersson

Also Hedman is a fair bit better than Heiskanen

Did you not read my post? Prior to this season EP was anonymously regarded as quite a bit better than Barkov. All of a sudden after 30 odd games in an outlier season Barkov is “much better”. The recency bias here is amazing.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
What an absolutely hilarious standing in this poll.

Offense: Finland >~ Sweden
Defense: Sweden >> Finland

But obviously this is Finland...

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Did you not read my post? Prior to this season EP was anonymously regarded as quite a bit better than Barkov. All of a sudden after 30 odd games in an outlier season Barkov is “much better”. The recency bias here is amazing.
Pettersson was never considered better then Barkov. Wtf ?

If Florida offered Vancouver Barkov for Pettersson... the nuckc if the gm had any hockey IQ .. would drive Pettersson in the nude to the airport.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Pettersson was never considered better then Barkov. Wtf ?

If Florida offered Vancouver Barkov for Pettersson... the nuckc if the gm had any hockey IQ .. would drive Pettersson in the nude to the airport.

Ok check all the polls and official lists prior to this season. This is a joke

bondra

Jan 18, 2019

EP is overrated, last season was suppose to be his "breakthrough" season to the very top and same with this season, but it hasnt happend yet.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Barkov had a fantastic season 2 years ago. If you had done any EP vs Barkov thread then, I think most take Barkov easily.
Barkov had a down season last year, and people started to wonder if maybe he wouldn't match the prior season again, and EP looked great.

But Barkov has bounced back this year, and looks great again.

So the only reason this was ever close imo is because Barkov had an off year and/or because people have crazy expectations for EP as a rookie/prospect (which is typical on HF).

EP could still end up better long-term - but at this point in-time it's a very, very easy Barkov > EP for me. And i'm pretty sure this poll is about right now, vs moving forward.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

July 2020
Barkov vs Pettersson - Barkov has 74.5% of votes saying he's better now, Petterson has a slight majority (55.4%) picking him "going forward" which is a nebulous date.

Aug 2020
2v2: Pettersson + Hughes vs Barkov + Ekblad - I'd guess your looking at massively lopsided polls like this, but the question in the poll is "better in the long run" which has nothing to do with Finland v Sweden today. Obviously the Nucks duo wins this, because they are like a combined decade younger.

Feb 2020
Cage-match - Barkov VS Pettersson - 57% of people think Barkov will be better for the next 5 years.

It seems pretty clear that over an undefined period in the future, people are choosing Petey, but in the near short term and right now - Barkov is winning in landslides. Also, I will admit I chose Petey in the better now/future, but got easily proven wrong this year since Barkov has been better in a landslide. Still think over the next 5 years, Petey becomes better, but that's not really what this thread is about, nor a surprise since he's younger. In hindsight I should have chosen Barkov now, Petey in the future. Guess I have to own that.

Reactions: NyQuil

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Ristolainen would not be in the top defensive pair. It would be

Heiskanen - Lindell

Sweden

Hedman - Klingberg
Markström

Finland

Aho - Barkov - Rantanen
Heiskanen - Ristolainen
Rask

The top defensive pair would be

Heiskanen - Lindell.

That pair can shut down almost any line in hockey any given day. Hedman obviously still gives the edge to Swedes in D, but not by a very big margin when you take into account team Finland's team commitment in a national team.

I don't think Aho would be in the wing. It is Laine, who should be there. Aho centering 2nd line. Thus,

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen

Is that some scary shit or not?

Heiskanen - Lindell

Rask/Korpi/Lankinen

Not a bad top line

Risto would be in second pairing in team Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad