WJC: Sweden 2018 Roster Talk

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Nylander?! Nylander has been a disappointment. The number of good shifts he has had are completely overshadowed by his garbage shifts, where he passes the puck to nobody or stickhandles himself into submission, to then follow it up with backchecking like grandma. He's playing disinterested, slumps with his shoulders... no way he's a MVP, not even top 5. He's been collecting his points, that's it.

Dahlin, Brännström, Jonsson Fjällby, Andersson, Liljegren and Pettersson, then you have Nylander on the MVP list. And no, I didn't write them in any particular order.

Typical that our best center is injured at the last second of that game. I think the hit by the Russian was illegal as well, it was a boarding. The center depth this tournament has been really bad.

As much as people like to harp on him for looking nonchalant at times, Alex has been getting it done. He is in on almost all the big goals and has points in every single game. Team leading scorer and my MVP for Sweden if the games ended today.

Andersson must be back by the SFs or Sweden is in deep trouble.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
As much as people like to harp on him for looking nonchalant at times, Alex has been getting it done. He is in on almost all the big goals and has points in every single game. Team leading scorer and my MVP for Sweden if the games ended today.

Andersson must be back by the SFs or Sweden is in deep trouble.
You can say this about anyone else of the leading players on Sweden, not just Nylander. As for him being the "leading scorer", he's actually tied with 3 other players on the team, with all of those being better so far IMO. I agree with Chimp about the players on the team i would pick for MVP over Nylander, apart from Liljegren. Nylander was probably the MVP on Sweden last year, and possibly the MVP of the team the year before. Hasn't really reached the same level this year although he will make great plays from time to time.

My MVP as of now is Andersson. That's the guy on the team that you can really say is "in on all the big goals". He have scored some important ones, obviously have more goals so far than anyone else in the tournament. And i feel like he's leading the team even when he's not producing. It would definitely be a huge blow if Sweden loses him, and i'd be confident to say that there's no way that Sweden goes all the way without him with Swedens lack of quality at center. Even reaching the final would be tough.

Reactions: haveandare

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
You can say this about anyone else of the leading players on Sweden, not just Nylander. As for him being the "leading scorer", he's actually tied with 3 other players on the team, with all of those being better so far IMO. I agree with Chimp about the players on the team i would pick for MVP over Nylander, apart from Liljegren. Nylander was probably the MVP on Sweden last year, and possibly the MVP of the team the year before. Hasn't really reached the same level this year although he will make great plays from time to time.

My MVP as of now is Andersson. That's the guy on the team that you can really say is "in on all the big goals". He have scored some important ones, obviously have more goals so far than anyone else in the tournament. And i feel like he's leading the team even when he's not producing. It would definitely be a huge blow if Sweden loses him, and i'd be confident to say that there's no way that Sweden goes all the way without him with Swedens lack of quality at center. Even reaching the final would be tough.

Looks like they took an assist away from Nylander since the last time I checked the website. He is still the one who has created the most goals for the Swedes, and I am including plays where he was key but didn't register a point.

Andersson is a good choice as well, he would be second on my list.

If Sweden is missing either player heading into the SF, I can't see them winning gold. Let's see how the elimination games go.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Looks like they took an assist away from Nylander since the last time I checked the website. He is still the one who has created the most goals for the Swedes, and I am including plays where he was key but didn't register a point.

Andersson is a good choice as well, he would be second on my list.

If Sweden is missing either player heading into the SF, I can't see them winning gold. Let's see how the elimination games go.
What do you base all this on?

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
No you can't. Pettersson for example doesn't have points in every game.
How is that relevant anyways if they have the same amount of points? This is the group stage, it's not like it really matters that much. Nylander had a single secondary assist in that game btw. In the same said game, Pettersson made a great pass to Nylander who was alone with the goalie, but couldn't bury it off the backhand. Margins.

Nylander being the player behind most of Swedens goals, including plays that never ended up in a goal, seems highly subjective.

Reactions: haveandare

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Care to translate...?
Andersson left the practice early on and didn’t return. It doesn’t look like he will play tonight and possibly not for the rest of the tournament. Big blow.

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Thanks. He is big part of my drafr pool and other bets so.... shit.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Bob Mac told in Twitter that Lias is game time decision. So he might be available in SF.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Can't even put into words how ugly that game was. The 1st line? I will give Andersson a pass since he was playing injured, but Pettersson and Nylander need to step the f up. Both of them were absolutely useless in this game. No excuses.

And Montén need to pull his head out of his f***ing ass, what does it have to take in order for him to do something when things CLEARLY aren't working?? It took nearly THREE full games for him to figure out that the 1st wasn't working out when anyone could see it. Well the 1st line is struggling again now, it's time to start doing your f***ing job and make adjustments.

Tbf Nylander and Pettersson hasn't really worked at any point in the tournament apart from on the PP. He should take any of the 2 out of that line and put them somewhere else, it's not working. It has struck me earlier that they might be too similar as player to really compliment each other, but the potential that line had might have been too hard to pass up on.

Impossible to be happy with a semifinal place after a display like that.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah let's play the f***ing trap for like half the game against Slovakia, that's a great idea. Especially when it was obvious that the more direct approach was working.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Time to use the blue jerseys next game, we almost never lose with those.

I wouldn't worry about the performance against Slovakia, Montén gave them the Miracle skate after the game.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Hopefully I will eat some grass after making this comment, but since I got sooo much flak for calling out Petterssons abilities on small ice prior to the tournament, last nights game really should've shown everyone what I was talking about. As I said, I hope that he ups his game and takes us to the finals, but the guy is still so weak and unbalanced. The way he always fumbles while being pressured is astonishing.

I'm not saying he'll never be good on small ice, but its painfully obvious that he hasnt worked on stuff that people pointed out a year ago, and that i'll take some time before he can excel in the NHL

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I haven't gotten a chance to catch Sweden play yet...but how has Jesper Boqvist looked?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad