SWE NHL players and media around the world predicts the finals

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
I think Penguins will take it 4-2 in matches.
Nicklas Lidström.

"Predators have done it damn well, I'm impressed. But it will probably be Pittsburgh anyway. They have as much weight. And then Crosby is back from injury. So I say Pittsburgh in the type of six matches.
Börje Salming .

- Pittsburgh. But the iron cries on Nashville.
Peter Forsberg .

- Yes, who wins ... I really think it's fifty-fifty. I have no real feeling, actually.
Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators .

- 4-2 to Pittsburgh, but it would be fun if Nashville could surprise.
Nicklas Bäckström, Washington Capitals .

- I think Nashville takes it.
Henrik Lundqvist, NY Rangers .

- Yes, it's hard to tell who wins that ... Pittsburgh has home-grown advantage? And Malkin and Crosby. Yeah, I think it's going to be Pittsburgh. But I hope for Nashville and all Swedes there who have not been and won before.
Kenta Nilsson .

"I believe in Nashville in 7 games and and Mike Fisher decides in a hurry.
Daniel Alfredsson.

- It depends on "Bengan" Hörnqvist can play the final or not. If he can not, I think the Predators take it in seven. But if he becomes playful, I think instead, Penguins win in seven. He is more important to them than people think. One who loves to have his own team, but really hates to play against, I can promise!
Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit Red Wings .

- Tough but Penguins win 4-2 in matches. Should have been Caps years.
Björn Lyrvall, Sweden's United States Ambassador .

"I was awakened by the fact that your damn text was ringing on the phone, wondering who the fan was as if it was four o'clock in the morning. At first I thought it was Zäta that was out of space, but it felt too late to be him and of course ... you. After ten bourbon. Not bourbon? Up and running? Four in the morning? That's not wise. I think Pittsburgh takes it in six games. They always find ways to win. Instead, Nashville has also done in this playoff, but the damage to Ryan Johansen will probably be very noticeable. Good so? Fine. Stop sms in the middle of the night!
Gustav Nyquist, Detroit Red Wings.

"I say Nashville wins 4-2. Of course, I think about how they lowered the Chicago Blackhawk ship without major problems, and how convincing Pekka Rinne was in the goal.
Isabel Boltenstern, Discovery and Eurosport .

- Think Pittsburgh is winning 4-3 in matches. Home Rule Decides!
Is impressed with Nashville and hope that the city is experiencing a win but still believes Pittsburgh decides in the game at home.
Daniel Sedin, Vancouver Canucks .

- Believe that Bengan and Hagge win again. 4-2 in matches. Like Nashville but think the damage can cause it to them!
Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks.

- 4-3 to Pittsburgh I guess.
Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning.

"It had been incredibly fun about Nashville, should we call it a newcomer from a part of the United States who never won anything in hockey, took it. But I still have to say Pittsburgh. They have the routine and they have the two coolest players in Crosby and Malkin. What could speak to Nashville is Pekka Rinne, if he can maintain the same rescue percentage they are good. Likewise, the fact that they played three matches fewer. The Stanley Cup final play is a devil marathon, so it can be decisive.
Anders Hedberg.

"Nashville has had a bit of a bad eye, so they have been a big surprise for me from the beginning. And they continue to surprise, I did not think they should take Anaheim. But I think Pittsburgh wins. It feels like it's their time now, with leading players rising at the right moment.
Ulf Dahlén.

- Pittsburgh 4-2.
Mats Näslund .

"It's hard-working, I think. I hold my fingers for Nashville, I have some favorite players there. Like Filip and Ekholm. Dala Players! But I may think that Pittsburgh, with his routine, will take it.
Anders Kallur.

- Penguins (with emojis for biceps, champagne bottle and hands in prayer).
Douglas Murray.

"I think it will be 4-2 to Nashville.
Loui Eriksson, Vancouver Canucks.

- Penguins go back to back with 4-2 in the match series.
Niklas Hjalmarsson, Chicago Blackhawks.

- Nashville 4-2.
Magnus Pääjärvi, St. Louis Blues.

- I believe in Nashville.
Joel Eriksson I, Minnesota Wild.

- I have not done so well in these tips, but ... Penguins in 6.
Helene Elliott, LA Times.

- I say 4-3 in matches to PIT.
Peter Popovic.

"I had hoped for Ottawa with Erik and Classe, but now I can say Pittsburgh. They look strong.
Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado Avalanche.

- I guess 4-2 to Pittsburgh. Think that Pens experience makes the difference. But you never know, Nashville has a good goalkeeper and talented Swedes.
Markus Näslund.

- 4-2 Pitt, but hoping for Preds. Would be fun for them to win the support at home.
Eddie Leck, Carolina Hurricanes.

- I believe in Penguins. They have routine from last year and know how to play the final.
Alex Wennberg, Columbus Blue Jackets.

- Pittsburgh wins.
Josephine Forsman, drummer and songwriter Los Angeles .

- Nashville wins 4-3 in matches.
William Karlsson, Columbus Blue Jackets.

- Pittsburgh in seven. In the third overtime period.
Pierre LeBrun, TSN.

- Nashville wins!
Victor Rask, Carolina Hurricanes.

"I think Nashville is hungry and can handle this. 6 matches.
Jonathan Ericsson, Detroit Red Wings .

"I think Nashville takes it in 6 games. Filip Forsberg and Viktor Arvidsson's great heroes.
Johan Hedberg.

- I'm never kidding. Sorry for that, but thank you for your request.
Bob McKenzie, The Hockey Insider, TSN.

- 4-2 Penguins.
Kjell Samuelsson.

- I think Pittsburgh will take home this year again.
Jacob Josefson, New Jersey Devils.

- Feels like Nashville has a satans shape now and wins this but still says 4-3 to Pittsburgh, just for routine and experience. And because Johansen is injured.
Calle Johansson.

- Hope Nashville will take it, many good Swedes.
Johan Franzén, Detroit Red Wings.

- Predators in six.
Scott Burnside.

- 4-2 pens. Despite injury, they find ways to win, plus Crosby and Malkin deliver. Should be a fun final series. Too bad not Wild is there!
Ricard Persson, scout, Minnesota Wild.

- Nashville in 6. But it will feel 9 thanks to Robert's Western World!
Mark Spector, Sportsnet.

- Nashville in 7th.
Niklas Kronwall, Detroit Red Wings.

- 4-2 in matches to Nashville. Rinne plus better slopes determine.
Mattias Norström.

- 4-2 Nashville.
Per-Erik Eklund.

"I think Pittsburg wins in 6 games. But because I love Nashville and are here for 7 weeks now and it's sick hockey fans, I change Nashville and think that Nashville wins 7!
Tony Johansson, Director of Photography, LA.

- Would rather not comment on who wins but think it will be a good series.
Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks.

- Pittsburgh in seven. This crazy playoff will last until the last day. Crosby and Malkin do not allow Penguins to lose. Just see how big they were in the biggest matches against Washington and Ottawa.
Chris Johnston, Sportsnet and NHL Network .

"I do not have many rules in life. But one of them is never to bet against Sidney Crosby.
Elliotte Friedman, Sportsnet and NHL Network.

- Pens in seven. What else can I say? Preds are rested and have Peksi, but the last win gave Pens an extra boost. They know how to win.
Varpu Sihvonen, PRO Hockey and Finnish News Agency .

- Malkin, Crosby, Kessel - Rinne or euphoric fans are not enough.
Predators win a home match, but the cup to Penguins with 4-1.
The Russian gets Conn Smythe.
Jarkko Päiväniemi, Sportbladet.

- Nashville in 6.
Larry Brooks, NY Post .

- Predators in 6.
Isabelle Khurshdyan, Washington Post .

- At least two rounds go for extension. Filip "Mr Clutch" Forsberg delivers. Nashville wins the series with 4-3.
Pontus Höök, photographer New York.

- I'm driving on the Predators. They had a tougher route to the finals and knocked three impressive opponents. They are well balanced and have one of the most electrifying players stored in the PK Subban. Rinne comes "play to his size".
Helene st. James, Detroit Free Press.

- Penguins in 6.
Kevin Allen, USA Today.

"It would be fun if Nashville could win, being a tough series.
Fredrik Modin.

- 4-2 to Penguins but I hope I'm wrong.
Tommy Salo.

"My whole heart screams that Nashville is going to win, but I think that Pittsburgh is scratching it with 4-3 in matches, sorry, would be fun if those well-groomed guys could take it.
Andreas Lilja.

"I hope Nashville will win this year. They have a fun and young team. Their goalkeeper is at the top right now, think they win 4-2 or 4-3 in matches against Penguins
Robert Nilsson, ZSC Lions.

- Experienced Penguins against Hungry Predators. I think the hunger strikes the experience this year! Predators win 4-2.
Henrik Tallinder.

- 4-2 to Pittsburgh. Nashville is too green. Pittsburgh has both routine in the playoffs and a certain Crosby that will determine even this time.
Valentina Lizana Wallner.

- Nashville 4-2. Believe and hope that my close friend Filip will win the stanley cup, he has been cruel during the playoffs and it would be great to go to a stanley cup party at Åkerö this summer.
Jacob De La Rose, Montreal Canadiens.

- Nashville 4-2. Järnkrok Series hero!
Anton Lander, the Edmonton Oilers.

- I say the Penguins, 4-2. Hard to see the big stars folds down!
Dick Axelsson.

- Haha, I've been wrong all my guesses and tips so far. This series is also impossible. 6-7 match decided it. Do not know of any advantage. Mass OT on the way there.
John Klingberg, Dallas Stars.

- It is possible that I am in the minority here, but I have a feeling that it's Nashville. Taking them in 6.
Eric Stephens, the Orange County Register.

- Oh, how difficult. I believe in Nashville 4-2 in games thanks to all the Swedes who have major roles in the team.
Rikard Grönborg.

- Then I dumps Penguins.
Carl Klingberg, EV Zug.

- Pittsburgh in seven, with four games decided in overtime. I hope you survive Nashville ...
Brett Cyrgalis, NY Post.

- Nashville in six. Finals perfect storm. Subban, Rinne, magic and music.
Steve Zipay, Newsday.

- No team should allow Sidney Crosby to reach Game 7 - just ask Sens. Luckily the Predators this year's Conn Smythe winner that will stop him before it happens. The guy called Pekka. Have you heard of him? Preds in 6. And, by the way ... the game winning goal in Game 6: PK Subban.
Juha Hiitelä, Sanomat.

- Penguins in 6.
Stephen Whyno AP.

- Penguins in seven. Fatigue could be an aberration for the Pens, who have played Game 7 series back-to-back. The lack of reverse stallion Kris Letang is also a relevant obstacle the reigning champions to take over. But in a series that are expected to become much more open and quicker than the oxygen-depleted Conference finals between Pittsburgh and Ottawa, how to tip it against Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Matt Murray? Easy.You do not do it.
Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun.

- Predators in the sixth
Arpon Basu, nhl.com.

- Pitt 4-3 matches. Routine and Crosby / Malkin will tip the scales.
Kristian Huselius.

- Crosby will raise the trophy for the third time in seven games.
Joe "Joey Mac" McDonald.

- Predators in 6.
Alex Prewitt, Sports Illustrated.

- I tip 4-2 to Pittsburgh.
As usual when I tip I assume which team has the ability to produce goals. Pittsburg is outstanding when it comes to target practice. The best team during the regular season and the same in the playoffs. Therefore win Pittsburg.
Johan Garpenlöv.

- Preds in 6.
Szymon Szemberg, EHC

- This should be an up-tempo series between two snabbskrinnande, attacking teams. The big difference is in the center position, where Pittsburgh Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Nick Bonino and Matt Cullen. While lacking Nashville its top center, Ryan Johanson, who of course had the surgery after the fourth game against Anaheim. He will not play the final. The loss is significant. In the final two games against Anaheim consisted Nashville's center lineup of Colton Sissons, Frederick Gaudreau, Calle Järnkrok and Vernon Fiddler. They stood up more than well against Anaheim's Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler, two fine centrar but not of the same caliber as Crosby and Malkin. So it will probably be back pairs Roman Josi-Ryan Ellis and PK Subban-Mattias Ekholm who gets the task of trying to neutralize Pittsburgh's 1-2 punch in the middle. The question is whether Predators defensemen to get the puck in motion and forcing the Penguins to defend for long sequences. The reasoning here is that Pittsburgh has the advantage when Johansen can not go up against Crosby. So: Penguins in 6.
Denis P. Gorman, AP.

- Pittsburgh 6. The repeat.
Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Sun.

- Do the Preds. They have every good in so many ways this year.
Carl Gunnarsson, St. Louis Blues.

- Penguins in seven.
Sami Hoffrén, Sanomat .

- 4-3 Nashville.
Mikael Backlund, Calgary Flames.

- Nashville, 6.
Frank Sera Valli, TSN.

- Preds in 7. Conn Smythe to Rinne.
Mark Lazerus, the Chicago Sun-Times .

http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/perbjurman/2017/05/stora-finaltipset-2017/

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
A tad Swedish-centric, that list of predictors, no? Perhaps the thread title should be changed to reflect that.

Ortos

Oct 3, 2012
is it a correct translation though, were they really saying matches in Swedish instead of games

i just find little differences between languages like that very interesting

The swedish word for game is match, that probably confuses. And well, it's used for both games and matches in english, so, sometimes correct

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
"Game, set and match".

Game is for some reason used instead of match for American sports (baseball, basketball, hockey..). But if we're talking about tennis, golf, soccer, rugby, volleyball... it's match.

Oh, and game is "gem" in Swedish, but only used for tennis since no other sports have games.

Carry on.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The tally of the above answers:

Pens in 5: 1 (1.1%)
Pens in 6: 21 (23.6%)
Pens in 7: 15 (16.8%)
Pens: 12 (13.4%)
Total: 49 (55%)

50/50, unspecified or non committal: 6 (6.7%)

Nashville in 6: 22 (24.7%)
Nashville in 7: 7 (7.8%)
Nashville: 5 (5.6%)
Total: 34 (38.2%)

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
As Mattias Nordström say, Nashville has better slopes. Better than Colorado!

"Backar" = defensemen or slopes/hills

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'm a bit surprised it's so pro-Sweden on the Nashville side because Pens have a couple good ones themselves. Underdog speaking I guess.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
What does "Iron cries in Nashville" mean for PF? Or is that just a poor translation?.

Im Swedish, but I cant guess it.

Edit, maybe Forsberg say that he gladly root for Nashville (gärna hejar?)

Edit again, just saw the link, it says that he will root hard for Nashville.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My favorites are "But the iron cries on Nashville" (Peter Forsberg) and "Feels like Nashville has a satans shape now" (Calle Johansson). I also got a nice laugh out of Gustav Nyquist complaining about being woken up in the middle of the night, thoughtfully answering the question about the series, anyways, and then going back to complaining about being woken up.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
6 games seems to be the popular prediction for every series ..every matchup

And that Nyquist response needs to be at the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad