Value of: Swayman

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So they are just pushing the problem another year and have the exact same issue next year.

At the end of the day, Bs are in weak position, everyone knows it and any team with a half decent GM should jump on that. Bs can't retaliate anyways because they have no space.

Ditch 1st rs picks with bad contract like Hall?

Having 10M tied up in net doesn't work, see Habs, Florida,...

Well at some point the cap goes up a lot higher, so kicking the can down the road is totally a fine strategy.

Sucks the Bruins top playoff performer so far this season is a bad contract.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Ullmark will be the goalie traded if one is on their way out. His ntc is gone now so they can do whatever they want with him.

Reactions: wintersej

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
At the end of the day, Bs are in weak position, everyone knows it and any team with a half decent GM should jump on that. Bs can't retaliate anyways because they have no space.

Montreal: Missing 2024 2nd rounder. Are you willing to risk an unprotected 1st (+3rd)?

Los Angeles/Pittsburgh/Ottawa/San Jose: Missing 2024 3rd rounder. So they could only make an offer in the 2.145 mil - 4.29 mil range. I'd expect those teams to tab a UFA goalie. As others mentioned, maybe Ottawa could put together a decent package of ELC players to get Swayman via trade instead of offer sheet.

Chicago/Anaheim/Arizona: Probably not the most attractive situations to land.

Vegas: Missing 2024 3rd rounder, have their own cap decisions to make.

Buffalo: Have their picks but already have Levi/Luukkonen signed. I'd think they would opt for a veteran UFA goalie to pair with the youngster.

Carolina: Have their picks and potentially the motivation to hypothetically do it. And as mentioned before, there is a timing problem with offer sheets specifically with the goalie market. You could tender an offer sheet on July 1 but then you'd be in limbo for a week while the rest of the goalies signed.

Detroit: Have their picks but already have Husso signed at 4.75 mil and they're grooming Sebastian Cossa to be their eventual starter when the team turns a corner.

And then the rest of the league either already has limited cap space and/or a #1 goalie signed.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They have 10.5 million (according to CapFriendly) to fill 6-9 spots (5-7 fwd, 0-2 D, 1 G) . Signing him (OS or not) will require moves unless he signs a Labanc style 1 year deal.

A 5-6.3M AAV deal would put Boston in a difficult position as they can't really afford that much at the goalie position so they would either have to sell Ullmark or downgrade heavily on the FWD signings (or D/FWD by selling currently signed skaters).

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
lots of ifs coming in but...

If Swayman starts game 7 and Bruins ride him to a cup. His value is going torpedo.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Montreal: Missing 2024 2nd rounder. Are you willing to risk an unprotected 1st (+3rd)?

Los Angeles/Pittsburgh/Ottawa/San Jose: Missing 2024 3rd rounder. So they could only make an offer in the 2.145 mil - 4.29 mil range. I'd expect those teams to tab a UFA goalie. As others mentioned, maybe Ottawa could put together a decent package of ELC players to get Swayman via trade instead of offer sheet.

Buffalo: Have their picks but already have Levi/Luukkonen signed. I'd think they would opt for a veteran UFA goalie to pair with the youngster.

Carolina: Have their picks and potentially the motivation to hypothetically do it. And as mentioned before, there is a timing problem with offer sheets specifically with the goalie market. You could tender an offer sheet on July 1 but then you'd be in limbo for a week while the rest of the goalies signed.

Detroit: Have their picks but already have Husso signed at 4.75 mil and they're grooming Sebastian Cossa to be their eventual starter when the team turns a corner.

And then the rest of the league either already has limited cap space and/or a #1 goalie signed.
As a Montreal fan. No. Not risking any high 1st for an asset like Swayman. He’s been good. But how much of that is the team in front of him? Just look at Ulmark. He’s a lock for the Vezina this year but no way he’s even a top 10 goalie playing on any other team

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

No one will OS for a 1st + 3rd. The reason to do this is to get a young #1 on the cheap, not give retail value.

And teams without their 2nd can go get it back via trade

UED

May 2, 2021
No point in the Habs trading for Swayman, we have barely just started our rebuild and still haven't found our star player. We need to lose lose lose until we finally don't forfeit a top 3 pick even if it takes us 15 years. Swayman would just leave for free agency after 3 years of losing. I wouldn't trade anything at all for him or any other goalie. Frankly I think we'd be better off with a couple AHL goalies for a few more years like Montembeault and Primeau.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They have 10.5 million (according to CapFriendly) to fill 6-9 spots (5-7 fwd, 0-2 D, 1 G) . Signing him (OS or not) will require moves unless he signs a Labanc style 1 year deal.

A 5-6.3M AAV deal would put Boston in a difficult position as they can't really afford that much at the goalie position so they would either have to sell Ullmark or downgrade heavily on the FWD signings (or D/FWD by selling currently signed skaters).
You didn’t include 4.5-5 million in performance bonus for Krejci and Bergeron, that’s carried over to next year, since no room this year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
No one will OS for a 1st + 3rd. The reason to do this is to get a young #1 on the cheap, not give retail value.

And teams without their 2nd can go get it back via trade

If you aren't offer sheeting in the 1st+3rd level, that further limits the teams who could do an offer sheet.

Getting your 2nd rounder back might not be a trivial task. Brian Burke managed to get Toronto's 2010 2nd back at the cost of Toronto's 2011 2nd+3rd. But I'm reminded of Tampa in 2008. They wanted to offer sheet Andrej Meszaros as Ottawa was in a cap crunch. But Tampa had already moved its 2009 3rd rounder in a previous trade. They tried to get the pick back from Pittsburgh but Ray Shero wouldn't cooperate (apparently he didn't want to enable an offer sheet). In the end, Tampa ended up making a normal trade for Meszaros (Filip Kuba + San Jose's 1st that they got for Dan Boyle).

The funny thing is that if they had gone the offer sheet sheet route they would have given up their own 2009 1st aka the Victor Hedman pick. Oddly Ottawa fans could blame Shero for that not happening.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If you aren't offer sheeting in the 1st+3rd level, that further limits the teams who could do an offer sheet.

Getting your 2nd rounder back might not be a trivial task. Brian Burke managed to get Toronto's 2010 2nd back at the cost of Toronto's 2011 2nd+3rd. But I'm reminded of Tampa in 2008. They wanted to offer sheet Andrej Meszaros as Ottawa was in a cap crunch. But Tampa had already moved its 2009 3rd rounder in a previous trade. They tried to get the pick back from Pittsburgh but Ray Shero wouldn't cooperate (apparently he didn't want to enable an offer sheet). In the end, Tampa ended up making a normal trade for Meszaros (Filip Kuba + San Jose's 1st that they got for Dan Boyle).

The funny thing is that if they had gone the offer sheet sheet route they would have given up their own 2009 1st aka the Victor Hedman pick. Oddly Ottawa fans could blame Shero for that not happening.
Anything more than a second is an overpay, so team would just pass, and let Boston figure out there problems.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
It's more likely the Bruins will be looking to rebuild soon, so they probably keep Swayman and trade Ullmark. Although Ullmark did not do well in the playoffs he had an injury he was paying with and being a serious Vezina candidate, I am sure there would be a few teams that would love to have him and at $5m for 2 more years it is not a bad contract at all.

Reactions: wintersej

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I think the Sabres might have interest in bringing Ullmark back, but I tend to doubt that'd be worth 13OA to Adams. That's not a knock on Ullmark or a comment on his value, I just don't think Adams in particular would do that, considering how highly he seems to value our high picks and how highly he seems to think of Levi. I could be wrong though.

UPL + something for Ullmark would make sense though.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Bruins kind of had to do it because they're in "all in" mode, but they're going to pay dearly for taking him to arbitration last year, especially considering he was pretty vocally unhappy about it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Canes would be strong candidates to offer sheet Swayman in the 2nd round range. We have two 2nds next year so it wouldn't be a big loss of a draft pick. I imagine if a team offered $4M for Swayman the Bruins wouldn't match, but I could be wrong.

An ideal off-season for the Canes would be offersheeting both Swayman and Lafreniere. I'm sure it won't happen but it would be fun.
Why wouldn't the Bruins match 4 million?

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Chychrun, Korpisalo, and 7th overall
for
Swayman (with a fair pre-negotiated long-term deal)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad