GDT: SVK vs GER

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Slovakia screwed themselves in the first period with all the penalties that resulted in 2 5-on-3 goals. The coaches challenge was just dumb, put his team down again 5-on-3. Overall these teams are fairly evenly matched, difference may be Germany had better goaltending.

Reactions: Summer Rose

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
How tf is Tatar captain of this team? Dude sleeps through most of the games? Slafkovsky, Pospisil, Regenda the only players who look like they care. What’s ramsey’s obsession with dinosaurs like Ceresnak? Dano, I don’t even want to comment, he must have something on Miro Satan.
Looks like Ceresnak is your Scotka/Hajek lol

CZ + SK teams are always prefering this big clunky Ds over creative ones like for example Tichacek, it sucks completely

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I don't think the win was undeserved, but we definitely got all the breaks in this one.

If the first goal had been called back for goalie interference, I would have said it's the right call. Don't get me wrong I'm happy they didn't, but I can understand if the Slovaks are upset about it. I know I would have been upset if it had been the other way round.

And the way we scored at the most opportune moments of the game almost every time was just bizarre. Again, I'm happy about it, but I would not count on them repeating this throughout the tournament.

None of our NHL/AHL guys relly stood out that much (why they picked Grubi as player of the game is beyond me). They were just part of the team and everybody did their job, and with a little luck they managed to win, but it was quite obvious that Slovakia has the better players. It's not a huge difference, but still plain to see.

The defense is going to be an adventure everey game, which is why missing Mo Seider hurts so much, but as long as they make up for it by contributing offensively, I am ok.

Anyway, now focus on tomorrow and see what we can do against the US.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I don't think the win was undeserved, but we definitely got all the breaks in this one.

If the first goal had been called back for goalie interference, I would have said it's the right call. Don't get me wrong I'm happy they didn't, but I can understand if the Slovaks are upset about it. I know I would have been upset if it had been the other way round.

And the way we scored at the most opportune moments of the game almost every time was just bizarre. Again, I'm happy about it, but I would not count on them repeating this throughout the tournament.

None of our NHL/AHL guys relly stood out that much (why they picked Grubi as player of the game is beyond me). They were just part of the team and everybody did their job, and with a little luck they managed to win, but it was quite obvious that Slovakia has the better players. It's not a huge difference, but still plain to see.

The defense is going to be an adventure everey game, which is why missing Mo Seider hurts so much, but as long as they make up for it by contributing offensively, I am ok.

As a Slovak I agree with every letter you wrote. Germany won fair and square, but yeah, got all the breaks you could possibly think of.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia

A very classic Slovakia - Germany game... if you look at our past results from this tournament, they are very similar. Somehow, we get absolutely schooled every time

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Slovakia's problem was the own zone coverage. Too many poor positional plays. Especially on the 3rd and 5th goal. Not individual mistakes but collective ones. Might be about miscommunication, hard to say. In any case, they had a lot of time to work on cooperation, so it is hard to find excuses for these mistakes. Germany proved once again they are a formidable opponent to any team. Very well composed and organized team.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
A deserved victory for Germany. Germany remains a very difficult opponent for Slovakia. The Slovaks sometimes acted very clumsy and naive. Lots of mishaps! It was clear to me that the coaching challenge also failed. A mature performance from Germany and a rather immature one from Slovakia.

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
a few post game observations
  • I didn't think that first German goal would be taken back. It was a bad challenge on our part. The goalie wouldn't have stopped that puck anyway and I think that was the decisive factor in the decision
  • I didn't like the call on Pospisil early in the game. Especially after a similar hit on Regenda a few minutes earlier went unpunished.
  • Sukel is useless. Can't score to save his life, except when it's too late for anything. He was also the one who took the penalty that led to the first German goal.
  • Cehlarik made a stupid play before the second German goal. Just clear the f***ing puck, jeez.
  • Genius move putting Slaf and Nemec on PP2. Confuse the shit out of the opponent :sarcasm:
  • Slaf, Pospisil and Regenda were really strong on the puck. Love to see that.
  • Hudacek - just shoot the f***ing puck when you have a yawning net.
  • Skorvanek - looked good in the first period, then not so much although he didn't allow any softies. Rebound control could be better. I guess it's Hlavaj next and that makes me nervous.
  • Tatar didn't do much of anything
  • We need to do a much better job of defending as a team, too many lapses have cost us

Draiseistu99

Jan 11, 2023

Agree with you on everything but i would definitly say that Grubi was our most important player in this game. There were 4-5 saves that held us in the game when the slovaks had an insane amount of momentum. And i don´t recall any bad rebound or mistake from him. Maybe on the second goal he can do better but thats it. I dont think we win this game with another goalie in net.

Some players i found really good were Michaelis, J. Müller and of course Stachowiak. He might be my favourite national team player. I found Ehliz unfortunate sometimes but he still got 3 apples in the end. But the worst players today were still solid, so definitly a good game. As expected, the defense is way less stable without Seider but a good chance for players like Wissmann and Szuber to step up.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Agree with you on everything but i would definitly say that Grubi was our most important player in this game. There were 4-5 saves that held us in the game when the slovaks had an insane amount of momentum. And i don´t recall any bad rebound or mistake from him. Maybe on the second goal he can do better but thats it. I dont think we win this game with another goalie in net.

Some players i found really good were Michaelis, J. Müller and of course Stachowiak. He might be my favourite national team player. I found Ehliz unfortunate sometimes but he still got 3 apples in the end. But the worst players today were still solid, so definitly a good game. As expected, the defense is way less stable without Seider but a good chance for players like Wissmann and Szuber to step up.

My biggest problem with Grubi was that he did not project any calmness. There were a couple miscommunications with the dmen when he went to play the puck behind the net. Not that surprising since he has not played with any of these guys in a while, but it still made me uncomfortable at times. Overall there was too much chaos around our goal and that was at least in part on Grubi. I remember him being able to get back into position after a scramble much quicker than he did today.
He wasn't bad overall, but as far as I am concerned player of the game should have been between Jonas Müller and Leo Pföderl. I am sure Grubi will have a couple of games where he will be far more impressive and far more instrumental in a good result, and since the coaches usually don't give this award to the same player multiple times (gotta spread the love around), it will lead to another weird choice in the future.
As far as not winning with another goalie, I am not convinced. Niederberger has looked bad lately, but usually he is very good in these tournaments.

I liked Szuber especially at the beginning, but after his terrible giveaway (I think it was in the second period), he seemed a little more hesitant and less assertive, which was a shame, because when he played with confidence and without fear he was really good.
But it was still a good game from him overall. He is still a young guy who needs to figure out what works and what doesn't, and of course he has to eliminate such blatant mistakes from his game, but I have great confidence in him going forward. One of the few young defensemen we have who could become elite at the World Championship level.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
a few post game observations
  • I didn't think that first German goal would be taken back. It was a bad challenge on our part. (CORRECT)
  • Genius move putting Slaf and Nemec on PP2. Confuse the shit out of the opponent :sarcasm:
    (SHOULD BE A LIFETIME BAN)
  • Slaf, Pospisil and Regenda were really strong on the puck. Love to see that (WE REALLY DO :D)
  • I didn't like the call on Pospisil early in the game. Especially after a similar hit on Regenda a few minutes earlier went unpunished. (FUTURE NHL REFS)
  • Sukel is useless. Can't score to save his life, except when it's too late for anything. He was also the one who took the penalty that led to the first German goal. (I NOTICED HIM ONE TIME ALL GAME)
  • Cehlarik made a stupid play before the second German goal. Just clear the f***ing puck, jeez. (THAT HURT TO WATCH)
  • Hudacek - just shoot the f***ing puck when you have a yawning net. (I CAN HEAR MY FATHER SCREAMING THIS)
  • Skorvanek - looked good in the first period, then not so much although he didn't allow any softies. Rebound control could be better. I guess it's Hlavaj next and that makes me nervous. (REBOUND CONTROL = PUCK POSSESSION)
  • Tatar didn't do much of anything (WHO?)
  • We need to do a much better job of defending as a team, too many lapses have cost us (WATCH MONTREAL GAME TAPES AND THEN DO THE OPPOSITE)
My thoughts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad