Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I thought it seemed iffy when we were getting reports earlier in the season that he was suffering from PCS, career might be over ... and then magically he was back on the ice like 3 weeks later.

He should be shut down for the season and probably permanently. He’s set for life with the $10 million contract he just signed and you really, really don’t want to see this turn into a Franzen situation.

That Hyka hit was not that severe and now symptoms are re-occurring when he hasn’t been hit at all. This really isn’t good.

Yes he needs to be shut down and strongly consider retirement.

But I do think he was hit in the Avs game, it wasn’t a head contact hit but it was a sudden stop and that may have been all it took. And like most pro athletes even if he felt poorly during the game (likely) he wasn’t going to pull himself. And of course with no head contact the spotter wouldn’t have pulled him off the ice.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
They should absolutely shut him down for the season and re-evaluate him in training camp at this point.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yep, he's never shown that he can be a consistent Top-6 forward, or consistently stay in the lineup. He simply doesn't have a long term future with this franchise and should be looking out for his long-term health and family—you don't want to end up like Johan Franzen.

Maybe his concussion history has something to do with this?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes....this is why we should have considered signing him to an even shorter deal.

That deal was pure idiocy.

He was awful last year after a good first 20 games and was a healthy scratch shortly before injury ended his season. Should absolutely never have received money or term where his career was at. No leverage at all.

However, that deal might end up being some sort of weird blessing if Baertschi’s career is over and it allows him to be set for life while we can LTIR it.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That deal was pure idiocy.

He was awful last year after a good first 20 games and was a healthy scratch shortly before injury ended his season. Should absolutely never have received money or term where his career was at. No leverage at all..

Baertschi was one year away from UFA and arbitration eligible. If you don't think he had any leverage, you don't understand what leverage means.

However, that deal might end up being some sort of weird blessing if Baertschi’s career is over and it allows him to be set for life while we can LTIR it

This is really disgusting, calling it a blessing if Baertschi's career is over.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I've been trying to dig into Baertschi's concussion history pre-Canucks.

Does anyone have a link to this information handy? Would appreciate it.

boogeybendo

Dec 18, 2017
This is really disgusting, calling it a blessing if Baertschi's career is over.[/QUOTE]

not sure you understand him... its a blessing for Baer, if in fact his career is now over, because he's going to get a bunch of money that he wouldn't have, had he signed a shorter deal.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
aERuCjl.png

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yeah, unfortunately Beartschi's career looks to be over. The poor kid was game but concussions derail another promising career.

I still think it was a good trade (though I wouldn't have made it, personally speaking).

He was on his way to a decent career as a top 6 winger capable of 50-60 points. Really a shame considering his talent and willingness to contribute at both ends of the ice. He did work hard to become an NHL regular.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

not sure you understand him... its a blessing for Baer, if in fact his career is now over, because he's going to get a bunch of money that he wouldn't have, had he signed a shorter deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah more like a silver lining thing on a bad situation. Obviously he must be devastated.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Speaking of neck injuries.

I've been dealing with a worsening neck injury for the last 10 years (and been unable to work) and one could probably call the symptoms that I've been having to deal with, concussion like.

It's time to retire Bae.

You did your part and now it's onto the next chapter of your life (which will be equally if not better than the present chapter).

u0QnjHv.gif

Reactions: lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Baertschi was one year away from UFA and arbitration eligible. If you don't think he had any leverage, you don't understand what leverage means.

Good luck taking a career high of 35 points and being a healthy scratch during the 17-18 season to arbitration.

You only have leverage if you’ve actually performed at some point. His agents would have wanted nothing to do with arbitration.

F A N said:

I’m very obviously saying that if his career is over, it’s a blessing for him to be getting that much money and having it be no skin off the club’s back relative to having his career be over and not be getting that money if he’d been given a more fair contract. I’m absolutely not saying it’s good he was hurt.

But yeah, go on being outraged.

Last edited by a moderator:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Well this is embarrasing.:thumbd:

Reactions: geebaan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Really a shame.

Baertschi might come off as a bit soft and weak but the kid was a good 200ft player completely fine going to the hard areas, paying a price to make a play and sublimely smart and skilled. Had good chemistry with Horvat too which is a big loss.

Remember watching him in Abbotsford and it was almost like watching Pettersson relative to his peers. Shame what injuries can do to a career....was pretty convinced he could be a 50-60 pt player for us, just couldnt get on track.....looks like that ship has sailed.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Essentially got waived because he was beat out of a job by Pearson and Ferland...and he wasn't going to take Roussels spot on the 3rd line.

If he can stay healthy he's a good player..We will probably see him back up with the Canucks eventually.. if he doesn't get claimed (which i don't think he will with that contract).

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Essentially got waived because he was beat out of a job by Pearson and Ferland...and he wasn't going to take Roussels spot on the 3rd line.

If he can stay healthy he's a good player..We will probably see him back up with the Canucks eventually.. if he doesn't get claimed (which i don't think he will with that contract).

I thought Roussel's injury was long term. Why not wait till Roussel is back before making that call?

The Canucks have one of the lowest scoring bottom 6 in the league last year IIRC. Why make the team only a two line threat? The last time the Canucks made the playoffs they were a three/four line threat.

They had 12 10+ goal scorers in 2014-15. 16 players with 20 or more points. Last year they had 11 players with 20 or more points. So the last time they had success is with production through the lineup. Why willingly decrease that by reducing the skill of the lineup.

To be successful the Canucks simply need more production.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
arrivederci Sven Baertschi.

I’ve been waiting to use that for a few years.

Back to lurking I go.

Reactions: vanuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Let’s call this what it is. The canucks are being wishful and hoping he gets claimed. He most certainly didn’t get beat out by guys like Leivo and Pearson. They’re trying to dump the contract.

Reactions: JimmyJiveJones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad