Suzuki vs Pettersson (DEFENSIVE AWARENESS)

Who’s got better defensive awareness?

• Elias Pettersson from Vancouver

• Nick Suzuki from Montreal

• Both are on the same level

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Same draft year but Suzuki is 10 months younger.

Both young centres are known for their two way abilities.

Question is, who do you think will be the more effective shut down player when it’s all said and done?

Reactions: sedulant

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
What is with Suzuki and being a defensive shutdown center? The stats suggest he’s average. It’s like the misconception Horvat was a two way centerman. He never was.

Hischier and Pettersson will be battling out Selke’s the next decade.

Suzuki is a 2nd line center in an ideal situation. He’s a Horvat clone. Nothing in his game screams this 1st line defensive centre.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Suzuki is good but he plays way too deep and tries to compensate for the poor goaltending/defending that Habs have, he'd be better off being a 50/50 player like Pettersson, it accomplishes way more puck possession overall and creates more offense. EP is a better ice-slanter and Suzuki is just very good at zone play, I mean, you have to be after playing in your zone for so long on this god awful team.
What is with Suzuki and being a defensive shutdown center? The stats suggest he’s average. It’s like the misconception Horvat was a two way centerman. He never was.

Hischier and Pettersson will be battling out Selke’s the next decade.

Suzuki is a 2nd line center in an ideal situation. He’s a Horvat clone. Nothing in his game screams this 1st line defensive centre.

Suzuki and Horvat have very little in common.

Reactions: Play and Aqualung

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Suzuki is more than decent in this regard, but Pettersson's defensive awareness is on another level. It's genuinely pretty special. He's a weird weak little alien of a player, but his awareness is off the charts to make him so effective as a two-way player anyway. His ability to anticipate lanes and intercept pucks is phenomenal.

Suzuki is more "reactive" and generally on top of things. Pettersson often seems like he's "proactive" in jumping passing lanes before that offensive player even knows they're making that pass. It's wild sometimes.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Petterson.

Suzuki is still improving, which is a huge positive, but still loses today and more than likely loses tomorrow.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Suzuki is very good at picking off passes in all three zones. I think that's where his rep for defensive play comes from.

But in the traditional sense, he can be prone to running around in his own zone and having trouble breaking a cycle. He has some great back checks but it's not a big part of his game.

I don't watch a ton of Petterson, but I still feel inclined to give him the vote just because I think Suzuki's defensive game is over stated.

Reactions: Play

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Gonna vote for the only guy on the list whose name + Selke has appeared in the same post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad