Player Discussion Suzuki vs Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Suzuki currently has 20 points 7 are goals with -2. His ice time average this year is 18:41 per game. Faceoff percentage is 44.1%. Suzuki is 21. He spent most of the year playing with the default first line Anderson and Drouin.

Kotkaniemi currently has 15 points 4 are goals with +6. His ice time average is 14:40. His faceoff percentage is 48.2%. He is 20 years old. He spent most of they year playing with Toffoli who is currently leading the team in goals.

Comparing the two players. Suzuki is definitely got the harder matchup than Kotkaniemi. They producing at the same rate but Suzuki averages 4 more minutes per game than Kotkaniemi. That over 31 games means Suzuki has been on the ice for 124 more minutes or 2 full NHL games than Kotkaniemi while producing 5 more points than Kotkaniemi.

I’m glad we have both young stars. I like Suzuki he’s going to be a very good two way player. I don’t think Kotkaniemi has reach his peak yet. If he improves his skating he’s going to be a high point producer. If you consider Kotkaniemi being 1 year younger than Suzuki and if he gets the same amount of ice time as Suzuki. He will be producing around the same rate as Suzuki.

basically what I’m saying is both players have very high ceiling and we are just seeing a glimp.

but I think when Kotkaniemi is 25 he would out produce Suzuki. I see Kotkaniemi as potential 70 points player 20 goals 50 assists. I see Suzuki being 60 points player 30 goals 30 assists.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's going to be fun to watch both of them develop in the coming years. Excited about both. I don't think either will be a top 10 NHL player but I think both have legit 1st line potential. Would be great if we have 1A and 1B centers.

There will be growing pains though and I hope people are patient with them.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's going to be fun to watch both of them develop in the coming years. Excited about both. I don't think either will be a top 10 NHL player but I think both have legit 1st line potential. Would be great if we have 1A and 1B centers.

There will be growing pains though and I hope people are patient with them.

It will be fun if both become 1A and 1b centers, but not so much if both plateau in their development. It's way too early to tell what each will become. And we have to be patient with them. But there's no guarantees they'll succeed.

Ideally, we get a #1 center, and they fill the 2 and 3 holes until one of them is ready to be a #1. But we know how hard it is to get a #1 center.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It will be fun if both become 1A and 1b centers, but not so much if both plateau in their development. It's way too early to tell what each will become. And we have to be patient with them. But there's no guarantees they'll succeed.

Ideally, we get a #1 center, and they fill the 2 and 3 holes until one of them is ready to be a #1. But we know how hard it is to get a #1 center.
I have faith in both players. At worst case I think we'll wind up with two excellent number two centers who can share roles.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have faith in both players. At worst case I think we'll wind up with two excellent number two centers who can share roles.

Because neither is a #1 yet, anything can happen: an injury or a flattening of their development curve. Imo, we won't know until each is 25.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because neither is a #1 yet, anything can happen: an injury or a flattening of the err or development curve. Imo, we eon't know until each is 25.
That's true of any player or prospect. They can get hit by a bus... sure. But based on what we see from them now, there's good reason to be excited. Both are going to be solid two way players.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's true of any player or prospect. They can get hit by a bus... sure. But based on what we see from them now, there's good reason to be excited. Both are going to be solid two way players.

I'm excited by them.

But if I were MB, I would still be trying to add a number 1 center. As I said, it could take 4 and 5 years for each to become number 1 centers, which is fine for them. It took Hertl and Couturier until 25 to breakout offensively.

But the team definitely needs a #1 center in the meantime.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm excited by them.

But if I were MB, I would still be trying to add a number 1 center. As I said, it could take 4 and 5 years for each to become number 1 centers, which is fine for them. It took Hertl and Couturier until 25 to breakout offensively.

But the team definitely needs a #1 center in the meantime.
If I were MB, I'd look to add a legit #1 LD. That would give us so much bang for the buck. THAT is what we really need right now.

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
That TOI is a bit skewed. Remember we’re one of the highest penalized team cause of all the delay of game penalties. Suzuki plays PK. KK doesn’t even get a sniff.

I think KK has the higher ceiling. Tho that ceiling is inching closer to collapsing.

Suzuki we know what we’ll get. A 55-70 pt solid 2 way center. I know he was solid in the playoffs last year but apparently teams like Winnipeg is questioning his toughness with Dubois and everyone going after him. Let’s see if he can pick it up physically.

KK 2 in 10 games he shows he can be a dominant C that controls the play (last year playoffs). He can show his physical side as well. Then you get 8 in 10 games he looks lost in his own zone.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I love both, even if Suzuki makes me want to throw my TV remote very often lately but i just think KK got even more room to grow, a faster release could make him a 25+ goals scorer, he's already showed he can score from in tight, he just need to be more efficient with his shooting. He improved his skating alot and i think the general speed is fine but the edge work still needs alot of work but im really confident that he'll get there, he has improve tremendously in many weak areas in the last year(Faceoff,Speed, forecheck,defensive play) so that makes me very optimistic about things to come for KK.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It’s about time to start using them as 1-2 centres. Not sure why Suzuki is getting 4 mins more of TOI a game. KK has looked significantly better than him 5 on 5.
People don’t understand the TOI diff because they don’t understand defensive coverage and positioning.

Suzuki is already very solid in this area. Less to coach/teach in-game. KK is learning more on the fly. As he’s learning, he’s getting more TOI. It will probably be even by season’s end.

Reactions: salbutera

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
NS is & will be by far the better of the two. On this team NS will always be the 1c. NS has higher hockey IQ & is better in both ends of the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Like them both, hope we get a 1/A and 1/B situation but if I had to keep only one of them, as of right now, it would have to be Suzuki.

Better 200ft game, best passer on the team by far IMO, less prone to brain farts and as good offensively.

KK brings an edge and is almost as good as Suzuki IMO offensively but his defense game needs a bit of work

Reactions: Ozmodiar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad