• Nick Suzuki

• Cody Glass

• Erik Brännström

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The worst thing about players like Makar and Hughes coming into the league and dominating right away at such a young age is the unrealistic expectations it puts on all young players. Brannstrom was only 20 years old during the entire season, less than two years removed from European ice.

Over the course of his AHL career, he put up:

50gp 7g 32pts (19 y/o)
27gp 3g 23pts (20 y/o)

He struggled on a really, really bad Ottawa team where most players struggled.

I agree. I still rate him highly. I think he’s going to be very good, but it is true that not every very good prospect hits the ground running and is an immediate impact NHL’er.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Brannstrom really struggled this year, he is very small and isnt an elite skater so I am skeptical but hopeing for a giant turn around.

This is way too harsh considering his age and how well he responded after going down to the AHL.

His skating is definitely elite, although it wasnt on display whatsoever in the NHL this season. It's not on the same level as a prime Karlsson, but it's well above average and it will be a huge part of his game. I saw a nervous kid that was never able to play his game for whatever reasons, theres plenty. So whatever we saw this year is in the NHL is poor representation of him imo.

Or I'm wrong and your right...guess time will I guess.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is way too harsh considering his age and how well he responded after going down to the AHL.

His skating is definitely elite, although it wasnt on display whatsoever in the NHL this season. It's not on the same level as a prime Karlsson, but it's well above average and it will be a huge part of his game. I saw a nervous kid that was never able to play his game for whatever reasons, theres plenty. So whatever we saw this year is in the NHL is poor representation of him imo.

Or I'm wrong and your right...guess time will I guess.
I hope you're right and im wrong thats for sure.

I also think Arizona significantly overpaid, so I wouldn't say being a worse trade makes it atrocious. If New Jersey got a great return for Hall, I would consider the return Ottawa got to be sufficient. I think Brannstrom is a good player. He's done excellent in the AHL, and is still pretty young. He was one of the youngest players eligible for the 2017 draft. Also, most 1999 born players were the youngest age category of the AHL, and he's more than shown he's ready for the next level, the NHL. It's probably going to be an adjustment in the NHL for him, considering his size and lack of elite skill. I disagree though about his skating. I think he's an excellent skater. Thats probably the best part of his game.
If thats the best part of his game thats bad news.

He showed almost no glimps's of elite skill this year which is why im skeptical. Usually you see flashes, there was next to none. If youre gonna be that soze there better be some jaw dropping moments. I have no interest in having a d man that size that cant do extraordinaire things. Ironically the only time i saw him be creative or make the right confident play was when he played his wrong side. But they since refused to do so, just another frustrating thing with this organization.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Brannstrom was almost PPG in the AHL as 20 year old going end-to-end with ease a few times and even did it a couple times in NHL. He'll be fine. looking like Ryan Ellis type player in the making. Right now it's Suzuki.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad