Confirmed with Link: Suzuki signs ELC

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Canes Sign Suzuki to Three-Year, Entry-Level Deal

The deal will pay Suzuki $832,500 at the NHL level or $70,000 at the American Hockey League (AHL) level for all three seasons. He will receive a signing bonus of $277,500.

"Ryan is a skilled center with strong playmaking ability," said Waddell. "He's an exciting young player, and we believe he has a bright future in the NHL."

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

The deal will pay Suzuki $832,500 at the NHL level or $70,000 at the American Hockey League (AHL) level for all three seasons. He will receive a signing bonus of $277,500.

"Ryan is a skilled center with strong playmaking ability," said Waddell. "He's an exciting young player, and we believe he has a bright future in the NHL."

Just once I want the quote to be like “Ryan is fine. He’s just fine, ok. We signed him, he’s our first round pick. We’ll see if he turns into anything.”

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
What follows is sure to be a dumb question, so please be patient with it.

Why is it typical for teams to sign their 1st-round pick in the summer following the draft, rather than waiting until the kid is imminently going to be joining a professional roster? Clearly young Ryan is headed back to Barrie...how does it benefit the club to sign him now?

I can definitely see how it benefits the kid, but it's not obvious why the club would do something solely for the benefit of the kid.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Why is it typical for teams to sign their 1st-round pick in the summer following the draft, rather than waiting until the kid is imminently going to be joining a professional roster? Clearly young Ryan is headed back to Barrie...how does it benefit the club to sign him now?

I can definitely see how it benefits the kid, but it's not obvious why the club would do something solely for the benefit of the kid.
Adam Fox is why you sign him now while you can.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

It builds goodwill with the player; that's a good thing. For a team that doesn't like to give out performance bonuses, an early signing date gives them greater bargaining power; Aho got more in potential bonuses signing D+1 than Necas did in his draft year, despite the difference in draft position. Speaking of Necas, sliding an ELC lowers the cap hit at the end of the deal; if you're spending to the cap, every dollar counts.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

... so 832,5k in base salary + 92.5k in signing bonus per season, bringing it to max allowed ELC total salary 925k.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is this humor, or are you seriously equating Suzuki's signing to that of a college-route player?
The team has the exclusive right to a player drafted from NA for two years, after which if unsigned he will re-enter the draft. There is an ever-so-light chance that he might get the bring idea to not sign, for whatever reason, and re-enter the draft in the following year. If he's good and breaks the junior league, he might go high and get massive bonuses and otherwise preferred position in his 2nd drafting team.

Plus, if the player hasn't been a pro of any kind yet, he might out of blue choose to go to college as long as he retains the NCAA eligibility. Signing him destroys his chance for such silly aspirations.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't believe it effects this year's cap, no. Skipping the actual verbiage in the CBA, CapFriendly had Gauthier, for example, at $0 in their daily tracker for the last 3 three years, despite getting the same 277.5K bonus as Suzuki.

Past Salary Cap Payrolls - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Probably courtesy of him being in the AHL on a two-way contract. The signing bonus is sort of disappearing "extra" it seems and doesn't count against NHL salary.

If he plays in NHL, the signing bonus would count against the cap for those days. I believe.

Reactions: Unsustainable

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Is this humor, or are you seriously equating Suzuki's signing to that of a college-route player?

What about Frederick Andersen as an example then? If you have a player you like, and he's willing to sign, then get it done ASAP before the (slim) chance of him reconsidering. It's not just college guys, like Lempo said most others can re enter the draft

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Seems like a good answer to my question is: you're *always* going to want to see a 1st-rounder play in pro games, which will require a SPC, and since it will slide until he actually does play in the pros, you might as well go ahead and get it over with and garner yourself the goodwill BDC mentioned. The slide is the key piece I was not correctly considering...because, like I said, stupid question.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Seems like a good answer to my question is: you're *always* going to want to see a 1st-rounder play in pro games, which will require a SPC, and since it will slide until he actually does play in the pros, you might as well go ahead and get it over with and garner yourself the goodwill BDC mentioned. The slide is the key piece I was not correctly considering...because, like I said, stupid question.
It was a good and interesting question. There are many facets to signing a prospect, some of them in conflict with each other.

The European draftees, for example, are yours for four years, after which they go draft-related UFA if not signed (like Maenalanen did). So it's a bit different rules from the regular NA draftees who would re-enter the draft after two years and after two more years if still not signed will become draft-related UFA. It takes maneuvering. You can leave Finn guys waiting for three years and probably will get them signed still.

The option of ELC sliding is only for 18 and 19 y.o. players, after that you start using it up no matter where the player plays. Also, CHL and IIHF leagues have their own transfer agreements with NHL saying that their teens (may) need to go back unless they are good enough for NHL roster. And yet, the 18 y.o. Euros can play in AHL where the CHL teens can't.

There's lot to weight.

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad