Suzuki or McAvoy?

Suzuki or McAvoy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
I think Danault is a very good Center myself. One of the top 2 way centers in the whole league actually.

Not sure what that has to do with Suzuki vs. McAvoy though.
That tying being 7th in 5x5 goals is not a relevant stat. Suzuki may well be the better player at his position but McAvoy even if not quite as talented at his will be more valuable because he is a defenseman.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Points isn't everything for D. Did Suzuki become a shut down, selke caliber center? is he your #1 PK center? OR is he relied on for offense? I though he has a pure offensive C?

McAvoy's a #1 2-way defensmen who played #1 minutes on one of the top defensive teams in the league over the last 2 years.

He's not an offensive D but with that Logic you think Krug's (49 pts) better than McAvoy (32pts) or even Weber(36 pts)?

Suzuki's 41 pts over 71 games (47 pts pace) doesn't scream #1 C at least not yet. Especially for a C who's focused on pure offense.

Link me one #1 C that was pacing under 50 pts?

You thought wrong. Completely wrong. It's actually amazing how often he was out there protecting leads with a coach like Julien behind the bench. Also, my initial comment was pointing the flaw in someone else's argument by flipping it on McCavoy. I'm not claiming McCavoy isn't a #1D because he's a 30 points defenseman.

The fact you seem inclined to think Suzuki is a purely offensive C tells me you've never actually watched him play... He's all about IQ and two-way play.

As for production, you should take context into account. He's a rookie that had to work his way up the line-up. He was our best forward in the playoffs and he should have more consistent ice-time starting next season. I'd expect 60 points out of him with a solid two-way game.

That tying being 7th in 5x5 goals is not a relevant stat. Suzuki may well be the better player at his position but McAvoy even if not quite as talented at his will be more valuable because he is a defenseman.

Says who? Centers vs defensemen are a toss-up in terms of value, and Habs fans have been dying for a #1C for years while plenty of great defensemen passed by over the last few decades. Centers are definitely a more valuable commodity to us if only due to their rarity.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
not weird, if you pay attention to the OP's obsession with the habs and habfans-
and just to add:
the utter stupidity of this poll. A C who just completed his rookie season VS an established and
talented, young D man. Players who don't even play same position and this poll to gaslight
There are a bunch of Hab fans claiming Suzuki is already much more valuable so seeing what others think.

This was pretty much the outcome that was expected

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
You thought wrong. Completely wrong. It's actually amazing how often he was out there protecting leads with a coach like Julien behind the bench. Also, my initial comment was pointing the flaw in someone else's argument by flipping it on McCavoy. I'm not claiming McCavoy isn't a #1D because he's a 30 points defenseman.

The fact you seem inclined to think Suzuki is a purely offensive C tells me you've never actually watched him play... He's all about IQ and two-way play.

As for production, you should take context into account. He's a rookie that had to work his way up the line-up. He was our best forward in the playoffs and he should have more consistent ice-time starting next season. I'd expect 60 points out of him with a solid two-way game.

Says who? Centers vs defensemen are a toss-up in terms of value, and Habs fans have been dying for a #1C for years while plenty of great defensemen passed by over the last few decades. Centers are definitely a more valuable commodity to us if only due to their rarity.

Well i didn't know that, I've only seen him VS Boston which obviously wasn't his best games.

And I do watch the occasional Habs games (impossible not too) since i live in Habs land.

I've been more impressed with Danault more than anyone on the Habs.

FYI i wasn't claiming anything on "potential" but what he is atm is a #2 C or #3C on deep contending teams.

FYI Bergeron wasn't a "true" #1 C until 5-6 years ago (Krejci was the #1 and prior to that Savard was)

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
McAvoy is severely overrated in the hockey community. Everyone else is wrong, not me! :devdance:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Craig Button even called Suzuki a 2C in his Montreal preview video a few weeks back. And I'm sure many of you dislike Craig, but it goes to show that the opinion is not niche or unpopular.

But regardless. Take the defenseman. Always.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Obviously McAvoy should win this based on him being established... but I couldnt care less. Im extremely confident in Suzuki and would pick him any day of the week. Its also worth nothing that McAvoy has not improved since his impressive rookie season and at points during last season - well at least to some bruins fans I know (IRL) - has been disappointing as they expected a lot more from him. You can even argue he has declined at least somewhat since.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Obviously McAvoy should win this based on him being established... but I couldnt care less. Im extremely confident in Suzuki and would pick him any day of the week. Its also worth nothing that McAvoy has not improved since his impressive rookie season and at points during last season - well at least to some bruins fans I know (IRL) - has been disappointing as they expected a lot more from him. You can even argue he has declined at least somewhat since.

I don't think this is true... Like on any level. He's significantly better than he was when he came into the league

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I don't think this is true... Like on any level. He's significantly better than he was when he came into the league
Not gonna lie I have certainly not watched every Bruins game since he came in the league. But from the numerous games Ive watched I was a lot more impressed by him in his rookie season than now. And those fans Ive spoken with do agree (they actually brought it up). For instance, I watched every Bruins playoffs game and I was not very impressed by him. He seemed to have little offense in him preferring to play safe than risky. He was obviously very good defensively tho.

earthbound

May 9, 2011
lol, McAvoy outscored Suzuki in even strength and came really close the previous two years playing far fewer games, despite being a dman. Suzuki scored as many ESP as all-stars such as Scott Laughton, Tyler Ennis, Jesper Fast, Brett Connolly, Joel Eriksson-Ek, Jack Roslovic or Warren Foegele in more games, he just found himself on a team devoid of talent so he played the 2nd most PP minutes on our team. On your favorite team he likely would've scored 30-35 points. Defensively it's obviously no contest, physically it's no contest, positionally it's no contest. Suzuki is a middle 6 C who is ideally a 3rd line C, McAvoy is a #1D who is about to explode in popularity if Boston doesn't acquire a PPQB. don't let my fellow Habs fans make you overrate our young players. Kotkaniemi is not looking good either and Mete is not a star player, in fact he's not an NHL caliber player and doesn't have the size to ever be, in case you were overrating them.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think we can close this one down, extremely one sided poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad