Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/09/08_008644.php

there's another link.

I have to say, this leaves me scratching my head, as we're really in no hurry to rush him in...but it sounds like the Suter family really wanted it to happen this way, so I guess it's good, if it's what he wants. I don't really see a spot for him in Nashville this year, but it's looking like our top pairing in Milwaukee this year could be Kevin Klein\Ryan Suter, which is exciting.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
nomorekids said:
http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/09/08_008644.php

there's another link.

I have to say, this leaves me scratching my head, as we're really in no hurry to rush him in...but it sounds like the Suter family really wanted it to happen this way, so I guess it's good, if it's what he wants. I don't really see a spot for him in Nashville this year, but it's looking like our top pairing in Milwaukee this year could be Kevin Klein\Ryan Suter, which is exciting.

It really doesn't make too much sense, but if Poile wanted him then why not. He would be equally well served by his time in Milwaukee as he would by his time in Wisconsin. I love coach Eaves but it might be hard to pass up a chance to play for the Calder Cup champs and with many potential teammates (Shish, Upshall, Hutchinson, Klein, Stehlik, Segal, Finley).

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Solid signing. Suter can develop quicker playing pro than college. He has the hockey sense that will accelerate the process.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Moskau said:
Think Mark Eaton could be had from a team like Buffalo?

If he wasn't our only defenseman who we are confident with in a shutdown role then he might be available. But he's cheap, effective and doesn't make mistakes. I just can't see him going anywhere.

Beantown

Jun 7, 2004
Is he even old enough to play in the AHL? I would think that they have plans to go to a WHL or OHL team. Does anyone know the facts?

X-SHARKIE

Bad news for a multi game UW ticket holder...

Although i'll see him in Milwaukee :)

Still, why take Ryan Suter and put him in the AHL? Really no need for this signing...Ryan showed alot of promise last year but still looked like he needed at least another year in the NCAA and then move on to the AHL....... I really don't like this for Suters devolopment my self. He is a great great prospect and probally is NHL ready but you don't want to rush him and ruin him long term.... He has the potential to be special, I don't like taking him out of College this early.

Edit: he is eligible to play in the AHL this year.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Still, why take Ryan Suter and put him in the AHL? Really no need for this signing...Ryan showed alot of promise last year but still looked like he needed at least another year in the NCAA and then move on to the AHL....... I really don't like this for Suters devolopment my self. He is a great great prospect and probally is NHL ready but you don't want to rush him and ruin him long term.... He has the potential to be special, I don't like taking him out of College this early.

So on the one hand you say he's probably NHL ready and yet you question whether he's ready for the AHL? Which is it? Seems you're contradicting yourself.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The reason for the rule is an agreement between the CHL and the AHL, I am almost sure of that. So that would lead me to believe that it has nothing to do with nationality. It has to do with Junior eligibiltiy and playing a certain number of years in Junior hockey (I think 3) before you can go to the AHL.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
Mr. KnowNothing is right. Nationality has nothing to do with it. If you are drafted from juniors you can't play in the AHL until you're 20 (except for brief conditioning assignments.) If you're drafted from anywhere else (college, USHL, Europe) you can play in the AHL straight away if you're signed and ready.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
You must have played 4 years of major junior hockey or be 20 years old to play in the AHL. Jason Spezza was eligible to play in the AHL at 19 because he played in the OHL as a 15 year old with Brampton.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Roughneck said:
You must have played 4 years of major junior hockey or be 20 years old to play in the AHL. Jason Spezza was eligible to play in the AHL at 19 because he played in the OHL as a 15 year old with Brampton.

That's if you actually played major junior. As has been said several times now in this thread, players drafted out of college and europe can go to the AHL before they are 20. The 20 year old rule only applies to players drafted out of major junior.

Want some examples? Dipietro, Tezikov and Kalinin are all examples of this off the top of my head.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
That's if you actually played major junior. As has been said several times now in this thread, players drafted out of college and europe can go to the AHL before they are 20. The 20 year old rule only applies to players drafted out of major junior.

I was referring the the major junior eligibility rather than non-junior.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
well, if there was any doubt, there's been articles the past couple of days in nashville AND milwaukee about how Suter will be Admiral this year, especially if there's a lockout(in which case he'd be joined by Hamhuis and Tootoo, as both are on entry level contracts and can go without clearing)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
nomorekids said:
well, if there was any doubt, there's been articles the past couple of days in nashville AND milwaukee about how Suter will be Admiral this year, especially if there's a lockout(in which case he'd be joined by Hamhuis and Tootoo, as both are on entry level contracts and can go without clearing)
The Admirals should be really fun to watch this year with Suter, Hamhuis, Stehlik, Hutchinson, Tootoo, Upshall, Shishkanov and Haydar.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
triggrman said:
The Admirals should be really fun to watch this year with Suter, Hamhuis, Stehlik, Hutchinson, Tootoo, Upshall, Shishkanov and Haydar.

I don't think they'll win any Calder cups; their stud netminder Flaherty is gone. He was incredibly during the playoffs. I don't think Finley will be quite that good. But they are going to be fast, skilled, and tough. I can't wait till mid-October when they come down here.

X-SHARKIE

Flames Draft Watcher said:
So on the one hand you say he's probably NHL ready and yet you question whether he's ready for the AHL? Which is it? Seems you're contradicting yourself.

I'm saying he can play in the NHL right now, I agree, but you don't want to have him playing there right now, and ruin him in the long run.

Suter has the potential to be a very special player, Chris Chellios like with his uncles offensive abilities. But if you rush him and he's more worried about making mistakes then gradually devoloping his all around game....you might ruin his shot at being a difference maker, and I think if he is forced to devolope in the NHL/AHL it may hurt him in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad