Suspended CHL Teams

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
I was wondering what is going on with the Arizona Sundogs and the Denver Cutthroats both teams suspended operation for one year last summer before the merger between the CHL and the ECHL and with the intend to return for the 2015-16 season?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I was wondering what is going on with the Arizona Sundogs and the Denver Cutthroats both teams suspended operation for one year last summer before the merger between the CHL and the ECHL and with the intend to return for the 2015-16 season?

They can't return to play when the league in which they are members no longer exists.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Could they return in the ECHL or they just folded at the same time the league did

No. The leagues didn't merge. The owners of those two teams have nothing to do with the ECHL. If they want to bring a team with the Arizona Sundogs or Denver Cutthroats name to the ECHL, they will have to buy an expansion membership. Given how much those clowns managed to lose in the CHL, I'd bet they're done with minor league hockey.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
No. The leagues didn't merge. The owners of those two teams have nothing to do with the ECHL. If they want to bring a team with the Arizona Sundogs or Denver Cutthroats name to the ECHL, they will have to buy an expansion membership. Given how much those clowns managed to lose in the CHL, I'd bet they're done with minor league hockey.

Thanks

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

not exactly.

Prescott Valley (Arizona Sundogs) AND the Cutthroats were already members of the E.

Arizona's fate has yet to be determined, but the Sundogs could still file for member status at the time of dormancy.

Denver's status is the same...

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Both Denver and Arizona suspended operations as CHL teams. Right before the season last year the ECHL announced the teams from the CHL they would accept into the league. Arizona and Denver were not on that list, and were never members of the ECHL.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
not exactly.

Prescott Valley (Arizona Sundogs) AND the Cutthroats were already members of the E.

Arizona's fate has yet to be determined, but the Sundogs could still file for member status at the time of dormancy.

Someone believes everything he reads in Cantlon's Corner... :shakehead

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
What joke franchises?

Brampton is surely questionable. Quad City should have realistically died a few years ago. They had like a new owner every year for 3 years. Evansville was shaky that they lucked out on. If you remember there was no guarantee they were even going to get a lease in that arena and they were previously playing in a rec rink.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

nope, remember the adage, just because the ECHL Doesn't list either PV/DEN, they aren't "gone", Isn't the E @ 28? IF BOTH Return, there's your 30.

PV Franchise has not contacted the E, Because Commissioner McKenna stated as of 2/5/15 in the dcourier(PV),tht no one from the Sundogs has contacted the league.

Brad Fain also bought the former league's stake in the PV Events Center, but the transition and/or creation of the AHL Pacific and Arizona's Coyotes issues between the lease in Glendale and the option to own its AHL Affiliate,have derailed any discussions about a revival of the Sundogs,even as an ECHL Club.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
Oklahoma City could be a candidate to come into the league next year. They were a strong CHL franchise, before moving to the AHL. With only 4 teams in the Central Division of the West, they'd be a natural rival for the 4 teams already there.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Oklahoma City could be a candidate to come into the league next year. They were a strong CHL franchise, before moving to the AHL. With only 4 teams in the Central Division of the West, they'd be a natural rival for the 4 teams already there.

unlikely, HR, Who would own an OKC franchise, after the Blazers/Barons experiment and how much damage was incurred after Prodigal's efforts there.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
not exactly.

No, those two teams were not, and are not, members of the ECHL. I imagine if they had applied for membership at the same time as the rest of the former CHL teams, they could have - but they didn't. If someone wanted to put ECHL teams in those arenas they could apply for expansion franchises.

nope, remember the adage, just because the ECHL Doesn't list either PV/DEN, they aren't "gone", Isn't the E @ 28? IF BOTH Return, there's your 30.

Since when is that an "adage"? They are currently "gone", as no team exists in any current league in those towns. They could get a team in the future certainly, and obviously the ECHL is looking for two more teams, but they could also end up in Peoria and Roanoke at this point.

PV Franchise has not contacted the E, Because Commissioner McKenna stated as of 2/5/15 in the dcourier(PV),tht no one from the Sundogs has contacted the league.

Brad Fain also bought the former league's stake in the PV Events Center, but the transition and/or creation of the AHL Pacific and Arizona's Coyotes issues between the lease in Glendale and the option to own its AHL Affiliate,have derailed any discussions about a revival of the Sundogs,even as an ECHL Club.

So here you are saying the Prescott Valley team has had no contact with the ECHL, when earlier you said they still exist in some nebulous state, and that they are/were a member of the ECHL. I think this is actually correct, so maybe you are correcting yourself, and not contradicting yourself?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
No, they are done and dusted. They didn't make the jump to the ECHL, and it's unlikely they would want to add the two teams. Denver would be very close to Colorado Eagles, and Arizona would now be on an island since the California teams have been swapped to the AHL.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
No, they are done and dusted. They didn't make the jump to the ECHL, and it's unlikely they would want to add the two teams. Denver would be very close to Colorado Eagles, and Arizona would now be on an island since the California teams have been swapped to the AHL.

You know whats the closest the league let teams be from each other?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
You know whats the closest the league let teams be from each other?

Obviously, there's Alaska, but the Aces make money & accommodate visiting teams.

The Sun Dogs don't have any significant support & their owner did various stunts that took days just to reach the base goal as far as season ticket sales.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
Obviously, there's Alaska, but the Aces make money & accommodate visiting teams.

The Sun Dogs don't have any significant support & their owner did various stunts that took days just to reach the base goal as far as season ticket sales.

Actually I think that the home team is paying for the road team's expenses for every games no mater what is the distance between the 2 teams.

I meant do you know what is the shortest distance that a new team can have with the closest existing team?

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
unlikely, HR, Who would own an OKC franchise, after the Blazers/Barons experiment and how much damage was incurred after Prodigal's efforts there.

The Blazers were very successful in the CHL, and normally lead the league in attendance. Different ownership brought in the Barons, and the difficulties appeared tied to the travel associated with the AHL, and reduced attendance due to losing natural rivals like Tulsa and Wichita.

Geographically, it would make sense since the Central Division of the West has 4 teams, and OKC would be within 6 hours of Missouri (KC), 4 hours of Allen, and 2 hours for Wichita and Tulsa.

I don't know if the Blazers owners are still in OKC or not. If so, perhaps they'd apply for ECHL membership and bring the team back.

I will admit, during the Blazers heyday, they were the only show in town, and weren't dealing with the NBA Thunder. However, OKC does have a long hockey history, and I'd think a reduced expense structure in the ECHL would allow the team to be successful.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
The Blazers were very successful in the CHL, and normally lead the league in attendance. Different ownership brought in the Barons, and the difficulties appeared tied to the travel associated with the AHL, and reduced attendance due to losing natural rivals like Tulsa and Wichita.

Geographically, it would make sense since the Central Division of the West has 4 teams, and OKC would be within 6 hours of Missouri (KC), 4 hours of Allen, and 2 hours for Wichita and Tulsa.

I don't know if the Blazers owners are still in OKC or not. If so, perhaps they'd apply for ECHL membership and bring the team back.

I will admit, during the Blazers heyday, they were the only show in town, and weren't dealing with the NBA Thunder. However, OKC does have a long hockey history, and I'd think a reduced expense structure in the ECHL would allow the team to be successful.

The OKC Thunder also moved their D-League team in OKC and an ECHL team would have to share an arena with that D-League team

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So despite QC being on their death bed a few years ago but since finding stability, they're still a joke? #logic

They aren't making money either...just because there's stability doesn't mean they are in a good financial place.

I forgot I'm dealing with Geoff who wanted to be a GM but is instead sitting here discussing on this board with us lol

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

The question went over your head. He wanted to know what's the closest distance franchises can be. It is an interesting argument. Hypothetical...I've heard the excuse that if ever offered it'd be unlikely Elmira could make the AHL because they are in binghampton territory which doesn't make sense. They aren't in the same county and are an hour apart. This isn't the NFL. I highly doubt many if any from the Elmira area are going to games in binghampton and vice versa. If this were a top league I'd get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad