"surprise" predictions this year

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I can see Jim Slater being tried on the third line or even moving up there for a while.

What are some surprises you guys think could happen this year? Not just "so and so will have a good year".

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I know we all expect Scheifele to crack the lineup eventually, but I'm pretty confident that not only will he start the season with the team, he'll be a permanent fixture on the second line as well as scoring at least 50 points this season

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Noel gets fired by the all star game

Guess i shoulda said olympics since no all star game this coming year.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Peluso will have a poor season. He will have a hard time staying on the 4th line and will be a healthy scratch for quite a few games.

This may not be a surprise to some people.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Scheifele sticks on a line between Kane and Gooch, pots 15+40, and takes the Calder.

Optimism and surprise all wrapped into one. #efficiencybaby

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This should be expected.

If any of Olli, Scheif or Little get dinged, Slated goes to line three... Well him or Wright.

Scary!!

I don't think it's scary putting Slater on the 3rd line, in fact I think it would be surprising how good he could be with decent wingers.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Slater's always been the best hockey player of the bottom 6 guys we've rolled out over the last two years. Easily better than Thorburn or Glass in Year 1 and clearly better than any of the guys they had there with him last year.

I say this year there needs to be a CLEAR definition of what to expect from him, but if we're still relying on Slater to produce third line results we're in the same place as we were last year.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Here's a few more:

- Bogosian has a monster year, and is in discussion for the Norris, 40+ pts and +25
- Evander Kane becomes a PPG player, gels immediately with Scheifele on the 2nd line
- Montoya gets 20+ starts and we're left wondering if he should be the starter

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Here's a few more:

- Bogosian has a monster year, and is in discussion for the Norris, 40+ pts and +25
- Evander Kane becomes a PPG player, gels immediately with Scheifele on the 2nd line
- Montoya gets 20+ starts and we're left wondering if he should be the starter

I agree with all of those minus the third point.

Montoya will never be a starter in the NHL, imo. I think Pavelec has a lot more to give than what he's shown and I think this year is his turning point.

TrentSteele

Jun 11, 2007
Trouba impresses at camp prompt trade of Postma early in season. Chevy steals 2nd rounder for him.

Enstrom and Bogosian become top D pair. Buff plays with Clitsome at more reasonable minutes.

Scheifele starts season on 2nd line and sticks there.

Ladd, Wheeler, Kane, Setoguchi, Frolik all score 20.

Scheifele Calder Finalist

Pavelec plays less than 65 games.

Lowry gets call up due to injury, scores first career NHL goal.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Wheeler will get off to a slow start to the season, then dominate for about 35 games, before looking increasingly tired over the last third.

Wait...I am doing this right?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Add me to the Kane-Sheifele-Setofgoochies synergy camp. I predict this lineup makes them all better than the sum of the parts and they become line 1a.

Peluso gets to play regularly and is surprisingly NHL worthy.

Buff is in the same shape that he's always in the past few years (is this surprising or not?).

There is still a blockbuster trade to come.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Jokinen starts of on the 2nd line. Gets either relegated to third or experiences a short injury, taking him out of the 2nd line and putting Scheifele or O`Dell in place. Second line excels like we haven't seen since Kane-Burmi-Welly/Antro but then Jokinen gets placed back in and the line goes back to being stuck in their own zone unless the puck lands on Kane's stick.

:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad