Surprise Fantasy Goalies in 14-15

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Basically, the top 20 goalies will be off the board by the time I pick as I don't have a 1st round pick and each team has already held onto one goalie from the previous season. Who might be available and worth a gamble? I was thinking Ramo but the signing of Hiller makes this less than an ideal choice. Any ideas?

ChrisWinsor

Oct 21, 2010
Oilers could surprise and not be a bottom 5 team this year, but rather midling team.
Scrivens might have himself a decent year.

Khudobin might easily steal Wards spot as the starter.

Halak might go late, but if your league has sv% and so on, i'd probably stay away. He should be good for 20+ wins though

Holtby is a gamble with Peters signed and Grubauer there as well, but contract year and he's shown flashes of brilliance before. Got invited to team Canada training camp. He uses sports psychology well in his training.

Anderson or Gibson for Anaheim could take over, might be worth gambling and taking one of them.

Elliot in St Louis might get a bunch more starts.

Gabriel Landeskog

Aug 25, 2006
i'm in a deep dynasty league 12 teams with 35 keepers(6 goalie max) with a ton of goalies. You will have some better goalies available but my deep deep sleeprs for the re-draft.

Greiss- Has posted impressive numbers throughout his career and played pretty good in phoenix with Smith's injury. MAF is on the last year of his contract so management doesn't have their hands tied with commitment to a player they can walk away from if being outplayed.

Hutchinson- Impressive young player who had a great year in AHL and AHL playoffs. Had a few great starts in NHL at end of year but unproven. Pavelec has been really inconsistent and has had health issues in his career. I don't expect Hutchinson to take the job but he has a slight chance if he keeps it up it is worth a late flyer on.

Svedberg- This is admitting you won't get a starter. Might not be viable in your league if roster isn't deep enough. Johnson had nearly 30 starts against weaker opponents. Boston doesn't need to ride Rask into the ground and Svedberg will have great stats. After my Halak/Elliot combo was broken up last season Johnson came in and saved my goaltending.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Laugh it up guys, haha.

I just felt Dubnyk could be the latest reclamation project in Phoenix, like Mike Smith and Ilya Brygalov. Dubnyk is a big goalie who is in the "shot blocking" mould like the previous mentioned goalies.

Now, if you're in a shallow league then I can't recommend Dubnyk, but if you're in a deeper one then why not take a flyer? He has been a number 1 goalie in this league and right now nobody in your leagues want a piece of him. If you can see past that in the last few rounds in your draft, you could be rewarded big time.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Laugh it up guys, haha.

I just felt Dubnyk could be the latest reclamation project in Phoenix, like Mike Smith and Ilya Brygalov. Dubnyk is a big goalie who is in the "shot blocking" mould like the previous mentioned goalies.

Now, if you're in a shallow league then I can't recommend Dubnyk, but if you're in a deeper one then why not take a flyer? He has been a number 1 goalie in this league and right now nobody in your leagues want a piece of him. If you can see past that in the last few rounds in your draft, you could be rewarded big time.

I agree.

Lets face it, Mike Smith has been known to get injuries from time to time. Phoenix is a solid enough team with a goalie-friendly coach. If given the chance, Dubynk can come in step up to the plate. He's done it before on a zero-defense Edmonton team.

He'll be there, in a deep league. Worth taking a shot.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Very deep in the draft, Svedberg. Should put up great stats but is a backup.

Viktor Fasth could be worth a gamble if Edmonton turns it around. He will be the backup to start the year but don't be shocked if he takes the starter job. You can get him pretty late and he could be a huge steal.

AFTeRMaTH*

Khudobin is being overlooked by many people this year. Hes a good one.
Stalock as well

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Our league is a weekly format, setting our lineups on Sundays. So backups don't really play a role unless there is a major injury to their respective starter, in which case starting that backup is a sure bet to get all the starts for the entirety of the week. Having an undisputed #1 is clutch in this league.

So who wins the starting gigs...

Hiller or Ramo?
Andersen or Gibson?
Khudobin or Ward?
Elliot or Allen?
Scrivens or Fasth?
Bernier or Reimer?
Minnesota, what happens there?

ChrisWinsor

Oct 21, 2010
Our league is a weekly format, setting our lineups on Sundays. So backups don't really play a role unless there is a major injury to their respective starter, in which case starting that backup is a sure bet to get all the starts for the entirety of the week. Having an undisputed #1 is clutch in this league.

So who wins the starting gigs...

Hiller or Ramo?
Andersen or Gibson?
Khudobin or Ward?
Elliot or Allen?
Scrivens or Fasth?
Bernier or Reimer?
Minnesota, what happens there?

Hiller
Gibson
too close to call (ward is default)
Elliot (but expect a 50/32 gp split)
too close to call (personally I like Scrivens)
Bernier 60-65gp
too close, whoever plays the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad