TV: Supergirl season 6

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That was probably the best season finale of the series. That song choice during the final fight felt like little wink towards Captain Marvel that there were other 90's song choices. ;) What is this Leviathan? Crisis is shaping up to be one impressive crossover event.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The new Catco boss subplot is another stupid, heavy-handed pandery plot. We get it, the dumbing of media is evil and makes people stupid. But so does treating your audience like its stupid and beating them over the head with the morality tale as if they won't understand it if you don't spell it out for them like a 3-year-old.

They did it last year with the political angle and aliens = immigrants and they're doing it now. Scifi works as a mirror to hold up to the world and tell those sorts of parables, but only if you presume your audience is smart enough to get what you're doing without screaming it at them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The new Catco boss subplot is another stupid, heavy-handed pandery plot. We get it, the dumbing of media is evil and makes people stupid. But so does treating your audience like its stupid and beating them over the head with the morality tale as if they won't understand it if you don't spell it out for them like a 3-year-old.

They did it last year with the political angle and aliens = immigrants and they're doing it now. Scifi works as a mirror to hold up to the world and tell those sorts of parables, but only if you presume your audience is smart enough to get what you're doing without screaming it at them.

The character was on Smallville already.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The character was on Smallville already.

That's not what I meant. That's not even relevant to what I meant. I don't mean anything about the character being new. I mean the fact that she's coming in and buying Catco in order to make it into a buzzfeed style shallow click bait outlet. It's a new subplot for this series.

And while I'm not against the plot on its own merits, I'm against how ham-fisted they deliver it with the boss basically being blatantly evil and antagonistic to the other characters' faces and the whole setup basically stopping just short of Kara and Jimmy looking into the camera and delivering a sermon directly at the audience saying "social media driven 'news' outlets are destroying the public's societal awareness and issue engagement by replacing real journalism with shallow, manipulative, engineered pablum and empty calorie content." verbatim.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's not what I meant. That's not even relevant to what I meant. I don't mean anything about the character being new. I mean the fact that she's coming in and buying Catco in order to make it into a buzzfeed style shallow click bait outlet. It's a new subplot for this series.

And while I'm not against the plot on its own merits, I'm against how ham-fisted they deliver it with the boss basically being blatantly evil and antagonistic to the other characters' faces and the whole setup basically stopping just short of Kara and Jimmy looking into the camera and delivering a sermon directly at the audience saying "social media driven 'news' outlets are destroying the public's societal awareness and issue engagement by replacing real journalism with shallow, manipulative, engineered pablum and empty calorie content." verbatim.

Well Catco or the paper are just tools or platforms for her tech.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Well Catco or the paper are just tools or platforms for her tech.

That's still not the point.

I don't know how much clearer I could've been about what my issue was.

My issue is not the subplot itself. My issue is not the character or their motivation. It's not that it's a thing at all. It's how terribly sloppily it was written with regards to how blatant and heavy-handed they were being about the moral stance of the plot. They could've made it a bit subtler. They could've done it in a way that doesn't so blatantly telegraph the writers' viewpoints. They did it last year with the whole aliens = immigrants thing and they're doing it again with this. And it's not even that I have a problem with the stance they're taking. It's that when you do it without any subtlety at all it treats your audience like they're idiots. Which is doubly stupid when the whole point of the moral is that the audience aren't idiots.

That's been my problem the whole time.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's still not the point.

I don't know how much clearer I could've been about what my issue was.

My issue is not the subplot itself. My issue is not the character or their motivation. It's not that it's a thing at all. It's how terribly sloppily it was written with regards to how blatant and heavy-handed they were being about the moral stance of the plot. They could've made it a bit subtler. They could've done it in a way that doesn't so blatantly telegraph the writers' viewpoints. They did it last year with the whole aliens = immigrants thing and they're doing it again with this. And it's not even that I have a problem with the stance they're taking. It's that when you do it without any subtlety at all it treats your audience like they're idiots. Which is doubly stupid when the whole point of the moral is that the audience aren't idiots.

That's been my problem the whole time.

I have no problem with any of that.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
so i just started season 1 of supergirl. its a bit cheesy at first, melissa is cute. maybe after a few more episodes then i will probably get into it? is netflix canada going to upload season 4 anytime soon.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Miss Tessmacher's actress was clearly pregnant in the latest episode. :laugh:

On a more serious note, #IStandWithMelissa. And f*** you, Blake Jenner. :madfire:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finally returned on Sunday. Directorial debut for Benoist and a fairly impressive one. Holy shit do they get Lex right. A true "evil genious". :amazed: And Jon Cryer... Best Lex ever. :bow:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I have to say I was not ready for the quality of acting in the past two episodes. Kudos to Jesse Rath and Katie McGrath. Their scene last week was just... :amazed: :cry:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad