Super Smash Bros Ultimate (13.0 + Sora)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Someone noticed 35 tracks for Street Fighter but only 2 for Final Fantasy.

God damn it Square.

At least we will definitely be getting Guile’s theme.

I am also fully expecting Ken as a Ryu echo, and Shadow as a Sonic echo.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I really, really don't want Shadow as an Echo character. I want Tails, or at least the original Mecha-Sonic.

Shadow just reminds me too much of edgy turn of the millennium aesthetic and I hate him for that.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I really, really don't want Shadow as an Echo character. I want Tails, or at least the original Mecha-Sonic.

Shadow just reminds me too much of edgy turn of the millennium aesthetic and I hate him for that.
Tails is one of my favourite game characters of all-time. I want him as well.

Right now, I'll probably main Luigi.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Honestly, the amount of content in this game is on an absurd level of insanity. Heck it's a 100$ game in my eyes... obviously glad it's not.
Fantastic character additions and modes. Cant wait for this one to release.

If I had to wish for a crazy character reveal I'd be frikkin ecstatic if Doomguy came to Smash. Clearly wont happen but that reveal trailer would be something else hah!

Tails is one of my favourite game characters of all-time. I want him as well.

Right now, I'll probably main Luigi.

Sorry bro, he dead :S

A nice touch in the direct was that apparently Luigi was not featured in any other gameplay showings in the direct after the trailer where the reaper wacked him. :P
Unsure if intentional or just random.. but still quite fun :>

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Pour one out for my boy Luigi. (No, Nintendo has confirmed he's not dead)

That mock obituary on Kotaku made me laugh at least

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
It's likely a cutscene from the game. Happens all the time in story mode. You gotta rescue other fighters.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Pour one out for my boy Luigi. (No, Nintendo has confirmed he's not dead)

That mock obituary on Kotaku made me laugh at least

All Nintendo said was “Luigi is ok”, which cracked me up even more.

So Ridley killed Megaman and Mario, and now Death himself killed Luigi.

Also Dedede is the ultimate troll.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm probably going to buy this game, knowing full well that I'm going to actually play it just as little as I have every other SSB game.

Nintendo's charm is a powerful ****ing draw man, even when the gameplay isn't really my thing.

Reactions: H3ckt1k and Pilky01

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Couple of smaller things they revealed.

Zero and Ashley as assist trophies, which kills some dreams. Shovel Knight as an assist trophy as well, which is both awesome and sucks at the same time. Amazing for the developers to be an indie rep in Smash, but would be cool if he was playable.

I am still bummed by only two FF music tracks when FF’s music might be the best thing about it. With so many tracks from Street Fighter and Castlevania confirmed, we at least know Nintendo is willing to play ball. Hopefully Square plays ball as well and we get a bunch of tracks.

I don’t like anything to do with modern Sonic, but lots of people do like Shadow and it just seems to make the most sense. Especially with Simon getting an echo.

Ken just makes too much sense. He is the original echo fighter. I wouldn’t mind seeing Liquid Snake as an echo either.

As for brand new characters. I fully expect a Gen 7 Pokémon to be added.

Still kind of bummed Bomberman is only an assist trophy.

Edit; oh yeah and a boss from Monster Hunter and I guess we will get a Monster Hunter stage too because they weren’t joking when they said everyone.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I would not at all be surprised if they throw the monster hunter in there (or some form of representation as a character) as well. Similar to how they did it with the last Marvel v Capcom game.

The Rathalos trophy would be whatever by itself, but the stage raises questions.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Someone noticed 35 tracks for Street Fighter but only 2 for Final Fantasy.

God damn it Square.

At least we will definitely be getting Guile’s theme.

I am also fully expecting Ken as a Ryu echo, and Shadow as a Sonic echo.
The number for the “other” series was at 97 which seems pretty low given the amount of music planned for the game. But if it really is two again... come on square.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Squad Strike looks awesome, as does 'Smashdown'. So many seemingly small, but functionally massive announcements today. This game is looking like a masterpiece.

I think Squad Strike would be cooler if you were able to switch characters ala MvC and other fighting games, or choose which character you want to send out next (kinda like Pokemon for match-ups), but that probably requires too much programming.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
All Nintendo said was “Luigi is ok”, which cracked me up even more.

So Ridley killed Megaman and Mario, and now Death himself killed Luigi.

Also Dedede is the ultimate troll.

Isn't Dedede also dead? Not sure anyone could survive a claw swipe to the back of the head by King K. Rool.

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
I'm probably going to buy this game, knowing full well that I'm going to actually play it just as little as I have every other SSB game.

Nintendo's charm is a powerful ****ing draw man, even when the gameplay isn't really my thing.
Im gunna be the same way, Ill buy it and play it for an hour and then remember that melee is a game and never go back to it

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Maybe as a party game to play with friends, i highly doubt it will feel as good to play as melee does in a competitive setting

So of the 10 million or so people who are going to buy Smash Bros Ultimate how many are going to play 'competitively'? Now I understand that some people will get drawn to a more involved competitive aspect of a game, and in some genres/games it's all about that competition (MOBA's for example), but first and foremost Smash Bros is a Nintendo game that's about having fun. At some point this just starts becoming silly.

I'm not an expert here, I missed that initial smash bros train so my first experience in it was with Brawl on the Wii. And somehow I seem to be the only person that actually liked the 10 hour single player campaign, which people complained about so Nintendo left it out of Wii U smash bros. I suppose it's going to be the same with Ultimate? For a smash bros virgin that was a great way to learn the game, and adds value if you're not going to be able to get much local multiplayer in.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
So of the 10 million or so people who are going to buy Smash Bros Ultimate how many are going to play 'competitively'? Now I understand that some people will get drawn to a more involved competitive aspect of a game, and in some genres/games it's all about that competition (MOBA's for example), but first and foremost Smash Bros is a Nintendo game that's about having fun. At some point this just starts becoming silly.

I'm not an expert here, I missed that initial smash bros train so my first experience in it was with Brawl on the Wii. And somehow I seem to be the only person that actually liked the 10 hour single player campaign, which people complained about so Nintendo left it out of Wii U smash bros. I suppose it's going to be the same with Ultimate? For a smash bros virgin that was a great way to learn the game, and adds value if you're not going to be able to get much local multiplayer in.

Nobody is arguing any of that. H3 isn't saying melee is going to be the better seller (it already isn't the top selling Smash game). All he is saying is that as far as technical play, Melee will still be favored.
Brawl was actually initially just going to be a port of Melee with more characters and stages, but Sakurai wanted to appeal to the more party-style fanbase than the competitive scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: H3ckt1k

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015

I played the shit out of the campaign in brawl. Im not arguing that it wasnt fun, because it was. All im saying is that from a competive standpoint, melee will most likely stay as the better game. If you dont care about the competitive scene then thats fine, obviously it doesnt apply to you, but the competitive scene is what keeps the game alive even after the console stops getting support (which is why melee gets more viewers during tournaments despite being how many years older than the newest?)

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Because a broken game makes for better competitive play.

I have a bridge to sell you in brooklyn.
Not really understanding the second part. Do you not realize how popular Melee still is?
I type this as 50k viewers are currently watching Melee's Top-8 at smashcon.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly with the changes being made, the competitive scene should want Ultimate to succeed if they have any desire to expand viewership.

Watching Melee players use the same stages with the same characters is terribly boring.

Stage hazards being turned off should allow more variety in legal stages on top of the game’s robust list, and chargeable smashes bring in supers.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Honestly with the changes being made, the competitive scene should want Ultimate to succeed if they have any desire to expand viewership.

Watching Melee players use the same stages with the same characters is terribly boring.

Stage hazards being turned off should allow more variety in legal stages on top of the game’s robust list, and chargeable smashes bring in supers.

Melee has a huge dedicated fanbase with a ton of 3rd party sponsors. Why would they want to lose that? The tens of thousands of viewers every single tournament disagree with you.

Nintendo, yeah. They want Ultimate to succeed and they want control over the main tournaments. They probably despise melee but they can't do anything about it. It's one of the reasons why I doubt they'd ever remake a Melee HD in the eshop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad