NFL GDT: Super Bowl LIV: (NFC) San Francisco 49ers vs (AFC) Kansas City Chiefs

Super Bowl LIV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The NFL making absolutely no sense strikes again

49ers to wear white jerseys, gold pants at Super Bowl
I believe it’s the AFC’s turn to pick which colours they wear for the game.

NE prefers their white jerseys thus their last 3 opponents have worn their dark jerseys. Denver hoping to change their fortunes after losing to Seattle opted for white instead of going with orange against Carolina.
So it’s been a while since the afc worn their dark jerseys.

SF and KC don’t have contrasting colours so they both can’t wear red. KC got to choose.

Reactions: Voight

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I believe it’s the AFC’s turn to pick which colours they wear for the game.

NE prefers their white jerseys thus their last 3 opponents have worn their dark jerseys. Denver hoping to change their fortunes after losing to Seattle opted for white instead of going with orange against Carolina.
So it’s been a while since the afc worn their dark jerseys.

SF and KC don’t have contrasting colours so they both can’t wear red. KC got to choose.

SF wants to wear all white and the NFL won’t let them

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
SF wants to wear all white and the NFL won’t let them
Sounds like it’s more on SF than the NFL.

last time SF won the super bowl it was when they wore that red jersey and white pants look. Didn’t seem to fit.

How many times has SF even wore the all white look?

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Sounds like it’s more on SF than the NFL.

last time SF won the super bowl it was when they wore that red jersey and white pants look. Didn’t seem to fit.

How many times has SF even wore the all white look?

It’s just another example of the NFL micromanaging minute details

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
49ers will control the clock on offense. They won't completely shut KC down, but they'll limit their opportunities.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Ill probably be wrong, but I see this as a less bludgeoning version of Super Bowl 48. It won be over after the 1st play, but I see the Niners beating up the Chiefs.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Ill probably be wrong, but I see this as a less bludgeoning version of Super Bowl 48. It won be over after the 1st play, but I see the Niners beating up the Chiefs.

That DEN offense did not have a lot of speed, they relied on a lot of YAC as those passes from Peyton that could turn a 10 yard pass into a long play. They did not beat teams over the top.

Peyton was a statue from a mobile perspective. SF has had trouble at times with QB's who aren't statues and can move around a bit (Russell Wilson, Lamar, Kyler). And even against the not-so-mobile Drew Brees, they gave up a lot of points in New Orleans

Reactions: Voight

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
That Seattle defense was all time great. The Niners don't have an all time great defense. Furthermore, those Denver receivers were soft. And it's not like they were the best at their positions. Chiefs have the best QB, best WR, and top two tight end.

That DEN team relied on a lot of YAC (short passes that could turn into long gains).

KC has a lot more speed than those Broncos. Plus, Mahomes is not a statue ala Peyton. The types of QB's that SF has teed off on this year are statues (Goff, Rodgers, Cousins). The mobile types- Lamar, Murray, Russell Wilson- were the ones that made things tougher.

These defenses are actually opposite- SEA's defense was not a sack-happy squad, SF's philosophy is built around the front four or five

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Reminds me of DEN vs SEA..... elite offence vs elite defense.

Not quite the same: 49ers actually have better total offense and scoring offense than KC this year.

And the Chiefs actually allowed fewer points than SF.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
KC actually allowed fewer points than SF

KC had a much easier schedule when it came to teams with a good offense. They have the Broncos,Raiders, and Chargers in their division who they got to play 6 times. All 3 of those teams were in the bottom half when it comes to offense. And they also played the Bears. I think they gave up a combined 12 points against the Broncos and Bears in 3 games.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yup it’s absurd to think the Chiefs defense is in the same stratosphere as the Niners D based on points allowed just like it is equally absurd to think the Niners are going to be able to beat or compete with the Chiefs in an offensive shootout based on points scored. This little thing called Mahomes was either out or playing hurt a large chunk of the season.

I think the Chiefs defense and Niners offense are comparably solid units. If you think this Chiefs defense is “bad”, “terrible”, etc you haven’t been watching past quarter one of any game. They aren’t a record setting unit by any means and can be had but they are much better than last season, with legit difference making playmakers in Frank Clark and Tyrone Matthieu (significant upgrades over the likes of Dee Ford and the rotting corpses of Eric Berry and Justin Houston last season). But that’s ok, keep running with the narrative that the Chiefs defense isn’t good enough. It wasn’t good enough to stop Deshaun Watson. King Henry was going to pulverize them. Yet here we are. Your best laid conservative clock management offensive scheming will go out the window when Mahomes is pressuring your defense for a score every time he’s got the ball.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If KC stacks the box, they're going to beat them through the air. People rightfully have doubts about Garappolo but he absolutely can throw the ball and beat defenses with regularity. They ran in the playoffs because Minnesota and Green Bay couldn't stop it at all. If the Chiefs stop the run to some extent, they will throw the ball and likely have success since KC's defense is good but not great.

They have a meh group of receivers. So if they decide to go thru the air, theres no guarantee it'll work / be really effective.

Not quite the same: 49ers actually have better total offense and scoring offense than KC this year.

And the Chiefs actually allowed fewer points than SF.

KC is better at every position offensively except maybe RB. They definitely beat SF at QB, WR & TE.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad