OT: Super Bowl LI - Patriots v Falcons

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Falcons play calling cost them the game. Why are they even throwing the ball when their already in FG range, knowing that a FG makes it a 2 possession game and pretty much seals it. Amateur hour at its best. People can praise Brady and the Pats all they want, but they had absolutely no business wining that game. Classic choke job by the dirty birds. And Matt Ryan is still horrible when the play breaks down, can't improvise worth squat.

Bingo.

Not sure why people are giving Ryan some blame for this loss because of the sack he took. Should never have been put in that spot in the first place. 8 point lead with 2 1/2 minutes to go and sitting 1st down at the Pats 22 yard line. All you need is a FG to make it a 2 score game. Run the ball up the gut 3 times, at worst, forcing the Pats to use their time outs, kick an easy FG and then Brady has to beat you twice. Cannot believe the coaching staff went to passing mode in that situation. One of the all time SP bungles, right next to Pete Carrolls call.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That was a pretty incredible game, but after it was over I was still left thinking "Where my front runners at" :laugh:

If Brady doesn't walk away after this, he's an idiot, it's not going to get better then this.

I think some said that after his 4th win 2 years ago, and here we are. He wants to play 5 more years, and is in better shape than he was in when he was 25 years old. I think he's got another SB or 2 win in him yet.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think some said that after his 4th win 2 years ago, and here we are. He wants to play 5 more years, and is in better shape than he was in when he was 25 years old. I think he's got another SB or 2 win in him yet.

He's 39, just won mvp, just won his 5th superbowl, 1st ever in OT, greatest comeback ever. This is the peak, there is nothing else to get to.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's 39, just won mvp, just won his 5th superbowl, 1st ever in OT, greatest comeback ever. This is the peak, there is nothing else to get to.

Go for 6. It's not like Brady just barely won this game and had to rely on other players... He threw for 450+ yards. He took a knife to the Falcons defense.

Cogliano13Gagner89

Nov 3, 2007
Oilers Misery

Nonsense. The guy is playing the best football of his life at 39. As Brady says "my favorite ring is the next one".

Nothing else to get? How about a 6th ring? Theres no such thing as winning too much...

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I dont think he cares about going out on top. (He already knows that hes on top anyway). I think he just likes to compete and play the game.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Falcons play calling cost them the game. Why are they even throwing the ball when their already in FG range, knowing that a FG makes it a 2 possession game and pretty much seals it. Amateur hour at its best. People can praise Brady and the Pats all they want, but they had absolutely no business wining that game. Classic choke job by the dirty birds. And Matt Ryan is still horrible when the play breaks down, can't improvise worth squat.

Pretty much. What a failure.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I don't believe he's playing to just get the records for wins, or championships, etc. I truly believe he just enjoys the game and is a huge competitor. It's probably why he takes a discount in salary to keep other parts in place. To outsiders, yes, it would appear to be the peak. But the man just wants to play more. Nothing wrong with that.

JSlick

Oct 17, 2016
Edmonton
Bingo.

Not sure why people are giving Ryan some blame for this loss because of the sack he took. Should never have been put in that spot in the first place. 8 point lead with 2 1/2 minutes to go and sitting 1st down at the Pats 22 yard line. All you need is a FG to make it a 2 score game. Run the ball up the gut 3 times, at worst, forcing the Pats to use their time outs, kick an easy FG and then Brady has to beat you twice. Cannot believe the coaching staff went to passing mode in that situation. One of the all time SP bungles, right next to Pete Carrolls call.

Shanahan got the hardest lesson of his life. I don't think he usually tries play the ground game and kill the clock with a lead in the fourth especially since Falcons fans have been complaining about that in the past. Don't understand why he's so stubborn when it comes to that.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I dont think he cares about going out on top. (He already knows that hes on top anyway). I think he just likes to compete and play the game.

His dad said it best (who is a regular on Boston local radio) asked after the Seahawks win he said (this is his dad btw that knows the kid I think pretty well) he said Brady will not ever want to quit. He's like Pete Rose/Brett Favre mentality he will die out there if he has too. He envisioned that Belichick will have to cut him before he quits.

The interviewers further pressed if he went down hill would he retire if he couldn't play at a high level he said he likes everyday the idea of fighting for his job, and playing the game and he would welcome a trade at that point.

This all makes sense too he was a third string QB in college, he was the 4th QB on the Patriots depth chart. The guy has talent, compete, and drive but he also has humility, braveness, and vulnerablity that makes him even more dynamic.

Guys like Peyton think of legacy and going out on top. Brady is in the Favre category where they don't care about stats or any accolades. This is a guy who values spending time with his family and being an inspiration to him. His personality has been characterized as a guy who only has football as his main drive and ambition. He's not a guy who has hobbies or things that he has on the back burner. He's an old throwback to QB's who were about the game. New guys get the endorsements, and have themselves defined by being cool, or being branded.

What will stop him is an injury - simply put. I am old enough to understand people's personalities and even Peyton had lots of pain from his neck, Favre was injury prone at that point. These guys don't go out unless it's an injury.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Shanahan got the hardest lesson of his life. I don't think he usually tries play the ground game and kill the clock with a lead in the fourth especially since Falcons fans have been complaining about that in the past. Don't understand why he's so stubborn when it comes to that.

As a Pats fan I thought they would have went for the field goal. Though there is a old mentality in old football religion if you want to call it and it's 'never leave the game up to the kicker'

It's odd because the last generation had Vinateri, but growing up (early 70's) kickers ALWAYS blew it, and I mean ALWAYS. I mean the last one in a meaningful game was Minnesota's kicker, and Gostkowski blew one in this game, but game on the line recent history says it doesn't happen as often.

You have ATL's kicker who's damn good, the Steelers kick is automatic. It's funny that Gostkowski himself may have played into the heads of the Falcons. Watch the highlights one missed, and another barely made the uprights.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00