Sunday Top 10 - Most Impressive 2002 Born Players

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - Most Impressive 2002 Born Players

One of the many annual traditions I have on this blog is to rank the new batch of OHL rookies in order of the impression they left on me. Only the "true" OHL rookies have been included, thus why it's labeled the "Most Impressive 2002 born players."

I always like to note that this isn't an early ranking for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. This ranking isn't the order in which I believe these players should be ranked for the draft, but an order of which players impressed me most. It's not a draft prognostication, it's an acknowledgment of the significant impact these players have had on their teams this season.

A quick note. This has been one of the best rookie crops that I have seen come through the OHL. The league has never had three 16 year old players hit the 30 goal mark and it looks like that could happen with Perfetti, Perreault, and Byfield hitting the mark. Not to mention Drysdale having one of the better statistical seasons of a U17 defender in the new millenium. As much as scouts are down on the OHL crop for the 2019 NHL Draft, they must be salivating over what could be available in 2020.

As mentioned, this is a tradition, so here are the previous year's lists.
2001's, 2000's, 1999's, 1998's. 1997's. 1996's. 1995's. 1994's. 1993's. 1992's.

Here is this year's list:

1. Quinton Byfield - Forward - Sudbury Wolves
Tough choice to put Byfield ahead of Perfetti, considering Perfetti has posted a top 10 ppg average of any rookie in the new millenium and put up the best statistical season of a rookie since Travis Konecny 5 years ago. But, any time that I've watched Sudbury play, I've come away absolutely enamored with Byfield's physical skills. He's an absolutely electrifying player to watch. 6'5, 215lbs and one of the best skaters in the OHL. He plays all situations for the Wolves and isn't surrounded by the same level of talent as Perfetti is (not to take away from his amazing accomplishments, however). It just seems like that at any given time, Byfield can do as he wishes on the ice. Coming into the league, there were some that felt his vision and playmaking ability were weak spots, but I've been impressed with the way he uses his teammates. Way less selfishness in his game than I was expecting. This kid is the real deal, complete package and could even enter the conversation for first overall next year (due to the physical gifts that he has over Lafreniere).

2. Cole Perfetti
3. Jamie Drysdale
4. Jacob Perreault
5. Jean Luc Foudy
6. Ryan O'Rourke
7. Antonio Stranges
8. Logan Morrison
9. Will Cuylle
10. Donovan Sebrango

See the link for full write ups and all the HM's.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Loaded class. Tons of guys with high potential could crack this list by next year. It'll be fun to follow.

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
Great list and IMO bang on ...with a few subtle changes. Some untimely injuries resulted in a few omissions from the top ten.
The 2003 crop will even be stronger.
I've been following your contributions for a while and personally want to thank you for the time/effort it takes to put this all together.

Reactions: Brock

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Great list and IMO bang on ...with a few subtle changes. Some untimely injuries resulted in a few omissions from the top ten.
I've been following your contributions for a while and personally want to thank you for the time/effort it takes to put this all together.

The 2003 crop will be even stronger? That is the first time I’ve read that. You are referring to just top ten?

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
The 2003 crop will be even stronger? That is the first time I’ve read that. You are referring to just top ten?

I was referring primarily to the top 10, however, there are several outliers that would match up with the '02s. Heck, the 03 DMF team has 5 out of the 10. Bottom line, it bodes well for the OHL if they decide to take that route.

Reactions: dirty12

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I agree about Byfield. His talent and size are so impressive. It's a rare combination. The kid is scary good.

Watching a lot of Bulldog games, I have to say that Morrison has really improved the second half of the season. He has a very solid 2 way game. He isn't an elite skater, but he's a very smart player.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Barring like 7+ NCAA commits deciding on the OHL instead, I can’t see the ‘03 crop being even close to the ‘02 crop

Reactions: ktownhockey

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Great write up. Alot of people think the Wolves are 100% UPL and that we'd be fighting for a playoff spot with NB/Barrie without him (which is flat out silly tbh), but anyone who has watched the Wolves regularly this season could vouch for how important Q is to our success. If we say something like Ukko is worth 20 of our points on his own, Byfield's been worth 10.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Perfetti has made his team better as well as putting up some awesome #'s. He plays well against good teams and has been the most dominant rookie and valued to his club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad