News Article: Sunday notes

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Belanger stuff was interesting.

Fluto's take that the B's d system is hard to grasp, isn't really supported by his evidence. Yeah, Mez, Potter, Redden Zanon etc all failed.

But that's because they suck or were good but in their end of career suck phase.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Ken Belanger, now he was one tough hombre.

I remember him being an absolute wrecking ball in the 1998-99 playoffs when he started getting penalized on clean hits simply because he was so big and fast, then the Bruins went out with a whimper against Buffalo.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Chiarelli and Julien have given the Jacobs family exactly what they dreamed of since buying the franchise from Storer Broadcasting in 1975, a team built to contend and, unlike the Sinden-O'Connell regime, even win it all once in awhile.

Chiarelli and Julien have earned the opportunity to get the Bruins back on that track. If not, half the league's owners will drive off their own yellow-brick roads and give it to them.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I remember going to a "tshirt" day at a B's game. I opened my package up and my shirt was signed "KB #16". I was pissed.

I'm sure he's a good guy and I hope his new business gets going and that he's healthy and happy. But seriously, the league will be better when 2 goal scorers who do nothing but stage meaningless fights find other occupations.

Not his fault the league was the way it was, and good for him for capitilizing on the "skills" he did have, but it's just not what I want to see when I watch a game.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I added couple more links in op.

Interesting that the press seems to support giving the FO/coach another chance. For some reasons.

Why I find it interesting in usually in a situation like this the the FO is usually the injured widerbeast crossing the river while the press are the hungry crocodiles.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I added couple more links in op.

Interesting that the press seems to support giving the FO/coach another chance. For some reasons.

Why I find it interesting in usually in a situation like this the the FO is usually the injured widerbeast crossing the river while the press are the hungry crocodiles.

If Chia is gone who is going to give the press the good dirt to bury a traded player with after he leaves town?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I agree with Mick.

Chiarelli gets an F for this season, but there has been too much success on his watch to toss him after one bad year.

I feel like there should be some sort of repercussion for his lack of... iit feels like a lack of interest or worse, a lack of effort but obviously that's not it, it's just a lack of results. At the end do the day it's a results-driven business and he hasn't done ANYTHING to impact this team this season (other than make them weaker). That's the result of his efforts. Not good enough. Period. But how do you make the punishment fit the crime?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I agree with Mick.

Chiarelli gets an F for this season, but there has been too much success on his watch to toss him after one bad year.

I feel like there should be some sort of repercussion for his lack of... iit feels like a lack of interest or worse, a lack of effort but obviously that's not it, it's just a lack of results. At the end do the day it's a results-driven business and he hasn't done ANYTHING to impact this team this season (other than make them weaker). That's the result of his efforts. Not good enough. Period. But how do you make the punishment fit the crime?

It's not just one season though, dude. It's been years of sub-par drafting, a refusal to "go for it" in a "go for it" year (going into the playoffs last year with a near all-rookie defense) and ill-advised deals of Seguin and Boychuk. The result of all of these things have led to this incomplete team that we're currently watching on a nightly basis. Add to that, his bevy of excuses for not being "able" to do anything about the on-ice product and follow through on his promise to the fans and his roster? It's a recipe for his termination.

The big thing here, is that we have to have confidence again that he's the right guy to get the Bruins out of the mess they're in. Maybe he's struggled for the last little bit, but is he the right GM to fix it? He's done some great things in the past so it's not out of the realm of possibility. But he's back to a show me point in his career in Boston... And I'm frankly unsure if he has the ability anymore to show us anything at all.

The real punishment would be to the Boston Bruins and their fans if he's allowed to continue his "evaluation" and to grind this team further into the ground with every inactive day on the job. And again... It's not just him. But his entire management crew who as a collective bears the responsibility of this failure.

It's not the results of the current team. It's the ability and confidence you have in him to fix these problems.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That's how I feel. This year is not one bad year, self-contained. This year is the culmination of years of problems. This team won a Stanley Cup with the number 2 overall pick on its roster, and three number 9 pick in the following draft.

This should have set them up for a decade. But now? They are in trouble.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
It's not just one season though, dude. It's been years of sub-par drafting, a refusal to "go for it" in a "go for it" year (going into the playoffs last year with a near all-rookie defense) and ill-advised deals of Seguin and Boychuk. The result of all of these things have led to this incomplete team that we're currently watching on a nightly basis. Add to that, his bevy of excuses for not being "able" to do anything about the on-ice product and follow through on his promise to the fans and his roster? It's a recipe for his termination.

I don't think we can cry about the Boychuk deal just yet. The guy is looking at $5 million+, maybe even six as a second pairing defensemen. Himself a former second round pick, we got 2 second round picks in exchange with a potential- albeit unlikely- third on the final year of his contract. The problems on the team right now are far beyond that particular player, and if this isn't going to be our year, we should have gotten a return for this guy. If you think he is worth more than this haul, by all means let's talk about that, but this trade had to be made. He is a great player, he did well for us, but I think this is just "good old days" syndrome that criticizes this deal.

Tyler, one of the best players in the league, that we traded for a bunch of easily replaceable pieces is another discussion entirely, that I believe is no longer allowed on this board because the thread was closed.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't think we can cry about the Boychuk deal just yet. The guy is looking at $5 million+, maybe even six as a second pairing defensemen. Himself a former second round pick, we got 2 second round picks in exchange with a potential- albeit unlikely- third on the final year of his contract. The problems on the team right now are far beyond that particular player, and if this isn't going to be our year, we should have gotten a return for this guy. If you think he is worth more than this haul, by all means let's talk about that, but this trade had to be made. He is a great player, he did well for us, but I think this is just "good old days" syndrome that criticizes this deal.

Tyler, one of the best players in the league, that we traded for a bunch of easily replaceable pieces is another discussion entirely, that I believe is no longer allowed on this board because the thread was closed.

I lobbied for Boychuk to be traded as well.

The mistake though was (as with the Seguin deal) the return. The team had holes that needed filling and Boychuk could have been a part of that solution if he was traded for help in other areas. A good value return that I believe will hold up. But not the RIGHT return for a roster that lacked on the right side of the ice.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I agree with Mick.

Agreed.

Reading posts here you would think its a given Julien & Chia will be gone next year if the Bruins don't rally. I'd still be shocked if both were not back.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It's gotta be tough to deal with a cap,aging players and suspect effort all at once. How do you rebuild and stay immediately legitimate simultaneously? Not sure anyone has proven they can do it.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I don't know if it has been discussed MMB, but in reality how much of the sub-par drafting is truely PC's fault?

Yes, he makes the final decision, but it is the scouts' jobs to provide the details, and give him an honest analysis of the potential prospects. He may go and review some prospects when given the chance, but I truly believe for him to be successful in that arena, he needs to have trust in his scouting team.

This leads me to the fact that some of the scouts have indeed been replaced. PJ Axelsson is now only in his second year scouting amateur players in Europe, Blair Reid is now doing the Western Canada scouting, Keith Sullivan was added around the same time as PJ to add to the US amateur scouting, and Keith Gretzky is only in his second year as director.

A lot of the changes happened 2 years ago - when, coincidentally, it was brought to light some very poor drafting previous to that (eg. Hamill, Colbourne, and others who made zero impact to the Bruins).

Looking at the new scouting regime, the top two picks in each year have been Pastrnak & Donato (1 already up with the club) and Arnesson & Cehlarik (both looking good in their development).

All in all, I see it not as an issue with PC, but with the scouting staff - and this issue has already been addressed - let's hope this scouting group continues to provide the value they have already shown in just 2 drafts.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
The grass is always greener. If you list the regimes who have had more success than Chia/Claude it would be short. If you listed the regimes that had had less success you would be scrolling down a ways. Bluster about firing everyone sounds appealing when things aren't going well but it will probably result in a worse GM and a worse coach and worse results after the dust settles.

Certainly they aren't perfect, drafting has been weak but appears to be improving.

Even if/when this year doesn't end well, I'd give them the chance to improve next year.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Premature,but it was a stat thread and right now his stats aren't changing

trudatman*

It’s a very unique twosome they have there....They don’t care about the matchups. They don’t worry about the matchups. They play against the other teams’ best players. They still produce points. They play both ends of special teams and produce points. They’re like gold, those players....
he writer thought he meant Krejci and Bergeron-Cleary. he probably did, but he's wrong. the Bruins seem to really care about matchups. Krejci sees very sheltered minutes, lots of them though they may be. advanced statistics sites show that Krejci plays against a particularly weak quality of competition and isn't very successful at maintaining zone possession even though he very often starts in the offensive zone. he's not a very good defender and he plays against third lines quite a lot for a "first liner." the Bruins real first line has Marchand on it. if other teams really are under the mistaken impression that Krejci plays a great two-way game against other teams' best players, then they should set up a trade to capitalize on that misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's gotta be tough to deal with a cap,aging players and suspect effort all at once. How do you rebuild and stay immediately legitimate simultaneously? Not sure anyone has proven they can do it.

Good point.

Add to that important injuries; Chara in season, Lucic & Seidenberg off season. All had a huge impact on this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad