Boston Globe Sunday notes with Derek Sanderson

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wish we were allowed to post whole articles, this one is really good. Well, here goes:

Derek Sanderson recalls his playing days ahead of auction - The Boston Globe

Perhaps what we’ll best remember of Derek Sanderson’s playing days is something that can’t be tucked into an auction catalog. He was master of the sweep check, his devilish knack for leaning over, dropping his stick nearly flush to the ice, and filching pucks away from opposing forwards and defensemen.

“Oh, what I could have done with sweep checking today,” an ever-perky Sanderson said this past week from his home on the Cape. “I would have stolen more pucks, had more breakaways, than you could shake a stick at. Before I die, I would love to teach [Brad] Marchand how to do it. He’s got the skills to be really good at it”

Sanderson, age 74, has no plans on checking out in the near future. He is fully retired, still enjoys his rounds of golf, and is pleased to report that he is in “generally” good health.
“Stay healthy if you can,” advised the ex-Bruins great, whose adventurous trip to old age included overcoming a nasty addiction to drugs and alcohol. “Because being 74 really, really sucks.”

The Black and Gold glory days long behind him, Sanderson decided in recent weeks to auction off his career artifacts. The Derek Sanderson Personal Collection went up for bids Friday at classicauctions.net, hosted by the Montreal-based online auction house of the same name that last year handled Ray Bourque’s auction

Some of the key items in Sanderson’s lot include a game-worn No. 16 home sweater he wore for the Bruins in the playoffs in 1972, the year Sanderson and his Big Bad Bruins pals won the Stanley Cup for the second time. There is also a stick the Turk used in the 1970 playoffs, but it is not the one he used to dish the puck to Bobby Orr for the famous “Flying Bobby” goal that clinched the Cup Final.
“I wish it was,” said Juteau. “Although very similar, the wear pattern on the blade [as shown in a Game 4 photograph] doesn’t match the stick we have. Our research showed that he only used that model of stick during the 1970 playoffs, so we’re thinking it might have been used early in the game and maybe Derek got one of his extra sticks from that game signed after the game. But we don’t think it is the stick.”
So, why now to say farewell to a lifetime of goodies? Athletes are often compelled to sell their goods when financial times turn sour.
"No, everything’s tidy-tidy there, thankfully, " said Sanderson. “No, it was just time. The stuff’s been at home, filling closets and gathering dust, and what the hell, it’s the last hurrah.”
To see it all go, Sanderson added, brings a sense of sharing.

According to Sanderson, his wife Nancy [Gillis], for years insisted he hold on to the artifacts, but she relented after he recently gave his two Cup rings to sons Michael (age 29) and Ryan (27).

Decades ago, Sanderson lost track of both rings, and was unsure whether he lost or sold them. As hard as that might be to imagine, it serves today as a reminder of his state of mind during his days in addiction.
“When I was drinking, right?” mused Sanderson. “When I was out there pretty good, if I’d had my hands on those rings they would have been gone for another day, and cheaply. Because you’re just day to day when you’re drunk.”
Years into his sobriety, Sanderson met up with Joe Cimino, his former business partner at Daisy Buchanan’s in the Back Bay.
“So I meet him at Daisy’s,” recalled Sanderson, "and he hands me the rings and says, ‘I was wondering when you were going to come back.’ ”

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Years into his sobriety, Sanderson met up with Joe Cimino, his former business partner at Daisy Buchanan’s in the Back Bay.
“So I meet him at Daisy’s,” recalled Sanderson, "and he hands me the rings and says, ‘I was wondering when you were going to come back.’ ”

Over the years, I've had a lot of memories about Daisy's, some good, some bad, most hysterical, like the night my 6'2"-could-bench-400-lbs best friend got an 'L' for loser from the forehead of Cam Neely himself. But without a doubt, the fact Jimmy Buffet's 'Boat Drinks' was written/inspired by a night of debauchery with Derek was the best.

Not any longer. This little anecdote is now tops.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Over the years, I've had a lot of memories about Daisy's, some good, some bad, most hysterical, like the night my 6'2"-could-bench-400-lbs best friend got an 'L' for loser from the forehead of Cam Neely himself. But without a doubt, the fact Jimmy Buffet's 'Boat Drinks' was written/inspired by a night of debauchery with Derek was the best.

Not any longer. This little anecdote is now tops.

uhh, I think I can confidently speak for most when I say you're gonna need to tell the Neely story in more detail.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Wish we were allowed to post whole articles, this one is really good. Well, here goes:

Perhaps what we’ll best remember of Derek Sanderson’s playing days is something that can’t be tucked into an auction catalog. He was master of the sweep check, his devilish knack for leaning over, dropping his stick nearly flush to the ice, and filching pucks away from opposing forwards and defensemen.

“Oh, what I could have done with sweep checking today,” an ever-perky Sanderson said this past week from his home on the Cape. “I would have stolen more pucks, had more breakaways, than you could shake a stick at. Before I die, I would love to teach [Brad] Marchand how to do it. He’s got the skills to be really good at it”

Sanderson, age 74, has no plans on checking out in the near future. He is fully retired, still enjoys his rounds of golf, and is pleased to report that he is in “generally” good health.
“Stay healthy if you can,” advised the ex-Bruins great, whose adventurous trip to old age included overcoming a nasty addiction to drugs and alcohol. “Because being 74 really, really sucks.”

The Black and Gold glory days long behind him, Sanderson decided in recent weeks to auction off his career artifacts. The Derek Sanderson Personal Collection went up for bids Friday at classicauctions.net, hosted by the Montreal-based online auction house of the same name that last year handled Ray Bourque’s auction

Some of the key items in Sanderson’s lot include a game-worn No. 16 home sweater he wore for the Bruins in the playoffs in 1972, the year Sanderson and his Big Bad Bruins pals won the Stanley Cup for the second time. There is also a stick the Turk used in the 1970 playoffs, but it is not the one he used to dish the puck to Bobby Orr for the famous “Flying Bobby” goal that clinched the Cup Final.
“I wish it was,” said Juteau. “Although very similar, the wear pattern on the blade [as shown in a Game 4 photograph] doesn’t match the stick we have. Our research showed that he only used that model of stick during the 1970 playoffs, so we’re thinking it might have been used early in the game and maybe Derek got one of his extra sticks from that game signed after the game. But we don’t think it is the stick.”
So, why now to say farewell to a lifetime of goodies? Athletes are often compelled to sell their goods when financial times turn sour.
"No, everything’s tidy-tidy there, thankfully, " said Sanderson. “No, it was just time. The stuff’s been at home, filling closets and gathering dust, and what the hell, it’s the last hurrah.”

According to Sanderson, his wife Nancy [Gillis], for years insisted he hold on to the artifacts, but she relented after he recently gave his two Cup rings to sons Michael (age 29) and Ryan (27).

Decades ago, Sanderson lost track of both rings, and was unsure whether he lost or sold them. As hard as that might be to imagine, it serves today as a reminder of his state of mind during his days in addiction.
“When I was drinking, right?” mused Sanderson. “When I was out there pretty good, if I’d had my hands on those rings they would have been gone for another day, and cheaply. Because you’re just day to day when you’re drunk.”

Great guy!

At risk of boring the long - termers here with this story again, I’d like to share it for the newbies.

When I was 11 I was told that I had to have my kidney removed. My dad’s friend was tight with Russ Conway from the Eagle Tribune (Russ wrote the book that played a big part in taking down Alan Eagleson).

He told him that I was in rough shape and asked if he could give me a call or something to cheer me up.

A couple of hours later Russ showed up in my hospital room with Derek, They stayed for a solid 1/2 hour talking to me about the Bruins (this was 1981, BTW) and gave me an autographed stick.

7 years later during my senior year in HS Derek gave his anti-drug talk at my school. After the assembly was over I went up to him and thanked him for visiting me and to my surprise he remembered it clearly.

Mentioned my mom and aunt being there with me and told me he called Russ a couple of days later to get an update on how my surgery went and how glad he was that I was OK.

Class act who definitely helped make a tough time a little easier for a kid he didn’t know!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Great guy!

At risk of boring the long - termers here with this story again, I’d like to share it for the newbies.

When I was 11 I was told that I had to have my kidney removed. My dad’s friend was tight with Russ Conway from the Eagle Tribune (Russ wrote the book that played a big part in taking down Alan Eagleson).

He told him that I was in rough shape and asked if he could give me a call or something to cheer me up.

A couple of hours later Russ showed up in my hospital room with Derek, They stayed for a solid 1/2 hour talking to me about the Bruins (this was 1981, BTW) and gave me an autographed stick.

7 years later during my senior year in HS Derek gave his anti-drug talk at my school. After the assembly was over I went up to him and thanked him for visiting me and to my surprise he remembered it clearly.

Mentioned my mom and aunt being there with me and told me he called Russ a couple of days later to get an update on how my surgery went and how glad he was that I was OK.

Class act who definitely helped make a tough time a little easier for a kid he didn’t know!

thats a great story Al.

I’ll share one here too. In regard to KPD.
I dont always agree with his articles or takes. But years ago I posted here my oldest boy was sick. Real sick. I didnt know as he never publicly stated but his boy also had a health issue at the same time.
Anyway KPD actually took the time to hunt down my real contact info and called me at work.
He wanted to express his concern and support. He offered anything he could do. Signed jersey or sticks. Anything he could influence. Dad to dad.
That’s something I will never forget.
I still will post my disagreements with some of his articles. But I will never bad mouth him as a human being or dad.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
uhh, I think I can confidently speak for most when I say you're gonna need to tell the Neely story in more detail.

Not much, really. My buddy looked pretty imposing but was actually quite the opposite in demeanor. We were in Daisy's and Cam, Ken Hodge Jr. and a couple other Bruins were there. We walked by them, I just nodded because I'm not the "Let's bother the celebrity" type at all. However, my buddy started gushing like a schoolgirl. "Oh man, you are awesome, you're the best! I can't believe I'm meeting you! Can I get your autograph?" etc. Cam looked at me and asked "Is this your friend?", I said "Yeah.". He looked back at my buddy and gave him the "Loser" sign.

Reactions: NeelyDan

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
thats a great story Al.

I’ll share one here too. In regard to KPD.
I dont always agree with his articles or takes. But years ago I posted here my oldest boy was sick. Real sick. I didnt know as he never publicly stated but his boy also had a health issue at the same time.
Anyway KPD actually took the time to hunt down my real contact info and called me at work.
He wanted to express his concern and support. He offered anything he could do. Signed jersey or sticks. Anything he could influence. Dad to dad.
That’s something I will never forget.
I still will post my disagreements with some of his articles. But I will never bad mouth him as a human being or dad.

I’ll second that about KPD. When my best was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer in 2010, we had a fundraiser for his family.

KPD reached out to me here and ended up donating Red Sox tickets for the raffle we had during the Fundraiser.

He’s a good man!

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina

Turk and Eddie Westfall, night and day personality wise best penalty killing duo I ever saw.

I always wanted to know how, in that first vid, Derek ended up on the BENCH fighting Phil Roberto? This was a big brawl around 1970 and everyone was fighting on the ice, of course, then they cut to that scene with Derek and Roberto - don't know how or why he was over there? If I ever meet him that's the first thing I'll ask him.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Nice article GW, thanks.
Every time I see Sanderson's sweep check ion a video I wonder why Marchand hasn't incorporated it into his "toolbox." His prowess is already deadly on the PK, if he adds that he'll be uber- scary. He's definitely fast enough.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Great guy!

What an absolutely beautiful story. An example of the kind of heart and soul guy he is. There really is no better bunch of athletes than hockey players when it comes to class and having a heart. IMO all the rest are experts at lip service.

Reactions: SPB2776 and sarge88

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
I was an intern at NECN in the 90s. Bobby Orr came into the studio for an appearance and then sat on the set for like an hour telling stories. One of the coolest experiences of my life.

One of the stories he told was that there was only one hockey player alive who Gordie Howe was afraid of: Sanderson. He said Gordie never knew what Turk was going to do next and it unnerved him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad