Summer Training

SnowBlue

Aug 10, 2010
I am curious, how much hockey is too much? This summer I would like to enter three leagues. So that would be atleast 45 games in 3.5 months. I know it depends on the individual, but does anyone have any similar experiences? What should I expect?

Renneys Revenge

Jan 7, 2010
well, like you said it really depends. how much hockey have you been playing up til now? depending on your age the extra experience is always beneficial provided it doesn't interfere with your work/school. after a week or two of playing game after game it will most likely just get you into better shape

HolyRollie

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
Well I do know guys that have gotten better playing a ton of hockey, but I'd keep it to twice a week personally and do some cardio/workouts to get stronger in the summer for winter league.

I agree. I would keep it to three times per week with cardio and strength training sessions. I did this over the summers and I benefitted greatly from the time away from the ice. If you play too much over the summer, you'll get burnt out and lose steam midway through the next season. Hit the ice a couple times per week to keep your legs and on-ice skills, but make sure you have time away from the ice to enjoy the offseason.

krax

Jul 25, 2007
I am curious, how much hockey is too much? This summer I would like to enter three leagues. So that would be atleast 45 games in 3.5 months. I know it depends on the individual, but does anyone have any similar experiences? What should I expect?

So it'll be 3 games per week. Any practices between games? How many lines is your coach rolling?
If you're playing with 3 lines, you'll get 1h of ice time per week. This is not too much. If you are having fun, I don't see a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad