Summer Prospect Polls 2016

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
With the hopes of maybe some massive changes and the pursuit of big ticket free agent items, I have shelved the annual Prospect rankings for the moment.

Think we can start them at some point next week unless a massive amount of people want these to get underway. But it would give us some time to really discuss our picks, hopeful free agent acquisitions and hopefully a trade for a D-man (come on Fowler or Shattenkirk!) that could impact this discussion as well anyway.

So what I would like is for this thread to be a discussion of some of the timeline to start this. I would also like everyone to vote on who they think are the top 10 prospects in the system. This can also get the tricky conversation about who we consider prospects or not at this point as well.

For instance I see Marchenko as a flat out graduate, Athanasiou while I hope is actually a graduate could be sent back down and stranger things have happened...

For reference our mid-season vote went as follows.

Alright, here is the list for our top 20 prospects:
Rankings:
1. Anthony Mantha - 77.38%
2. Andreas Athanasiou - 63.04%
3. Evgeny Svechnikov - 77.05%
4. Xavier Ouellet - 69.70%
5. Vili Saarijarvi - 52.00%
6. Axel Holmstrom - 40.48%
7. Tyler Bertuzzi - 32.08%
8. Robbie Russo - 34.62%
9. Joe Hicketts - 32.43%
10. Ryan Sproul - 23.08% - 73.81%
11. Nick Jensen - 31.82%
12. Dominic Turgeon - 31.71%
13. Martin Frk - 36.36%
14. Tomas Nosek - 44.12%
15. Zach Nastasiuk - 40.48%
16. Christoffer Ehn - 36.00%
17. Jared Coreau - 43.48%
T-18. Adam Marsh - 28.00% - 50.00%
T-18. Alexander Kadeykin - 28.00% - 50.00%
20. Julius Vahatalo - 42.11%

So, now that voting is complete. What do your individual top 20 lists look like?

So the poll will include these and the first five selections of the mosts recent draft. In the event of a move from Holland for D :thumbu: if it includes somebody we will go to 11th place in the poll.

Please select up to 10 players

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is hard.

Kind of done with the Ouellet/Sproul/Jensen/Frk crowd. Have a hard time seeing how they fit in here.

Tempted to go with AA, Svech, Mantha, Russo, Saarijarvi, Bert, Turgeon, and the first 3 from this year. Those are the guys I feel good about at this juncture.

Really intrigued by Hronek. Pronman said he expects him to cross the pond next year, and I'm anxious to see if that means CHL, USHL, NCAA or what. Would like to see him go somewhere where he can play a lot of minutes, and think he will produce well.

Also expecting to see Sambrook climb up these in the near future.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This prospect pool seems underwhelming compared to a couple years ago. Remember all the hope and excitement over our defense prospects? Sigh...

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I still like ouellet. Don't know how any other d prospect from a while ago can get votes

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I didn't read the OP and only selected Mantha based off how we usually do these things.

But my top 10 is prolly:

1. Mantha
2. Svechnikov
3. AA
4. Cholowski
5. Bertuzzi
6. Saarijarvi
7. Russo
8. Holmstrom
9. Ouellet
10. Sambrook

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So for some names... I will start with one of my favorites, but is it time we kill off Jensen in terms of these votes??? He could still make it out of camp though that seems unlikely and he is up there in age. Does he join Callahan and McCollum in the also ran category??? Does Callahan stay in the also ran category it seems to play out that way in the mid-season? Also guys like Aubry would seem to be good to sum up this way...

EDIT: I do see Jensen getting some votes which is interesting. Actually finally took him off my top 10 choices to start the poll.

Who are some of the guys we should disqualify (for lack of a better term) from being in this process? I know that can get pretty mixed and people get upset when guys start to slide because some are flat out not including them when they vote, so maybe we could get that out of the way in the build up to doing the real thing this time around...

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
My top 10 went

1. Mantha
2. Athanasiou
3. Svechnikov
4. Cholowski
5. Ouellet
6. Bertuzzi
7. Russo
8. Saarijarvi
9. Turgeon
10. Hicketts

I waffled on including Gianni Smith, but I'd only be picking him because he's new, I really haven't seen any gameplay from him so I left him out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Crazy Nastasiuk was a 2nd rounder, I almost forget he's even one of our prospects at this point.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Jensen. Ehn and maybe even natasiuk. (Prolly spelt it wrong even though it's above me). Though I think he should get another year before thrown off

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think 1-3 there is a case for anyone of Mantha, AA and Svech being at any position. 4-10 the same with Bert, Homer, Saarijarvi, Hicketts, Turgeon, Cholowski, Russo and Ouellet.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No order:
AA
Mantha
Svech
Coreau
Lil Bert
Turg
Vili
Cholowski
Givani Smith
Russo

Not gonna lie, it was pretty easy to squeeze Cholowski and Givani Smith on there, coulda went another way from Turgeon but Hicketts is just a lil guy and Xavier is well and good but has kinda fizzled out in peaking my interest.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'm a little surprised that cholo wasn't closer to a consensus top 10 pick. The pool really isn't deep and he isn't a 1st round pick just a couple days ago. Last two years our 1st rounder has been top 5 right out of the gate unless I'm remembering wrong.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
No order

Mantha
AA
Svech
XO (I still believe in him)
Saarijarvi
Sambrook
Cholowski
Nastasiuk
Bertuzzi
Malmstrom

Aug 6, 2012
1. Mantha
2. Athanasiou
3. Svechnikov
4. Cholowski
5. Ouellet
6. Bertuzzi
7. Russo
8. Saarijaarvi
9. Holmstrom
10. Smith

1-4 is a lock, the rest is really up in the air. Plenty of different guys could have been included near the bottom.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm surprised Russo is only batting 65%. He had a great year.

On the other hand, I don't get why Cholowski is so high. Yeah, he's got a lot of potential, but it's probably not going to come to fruition until the second term of the Clinton presidency. Surely a part of this is how good of a player you are right now.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'm surprised Russo is only batting 65%. He had a great year.

On the other hand, I don't get why Cholowski is so high. Yeah, he's got a lot of potential, but it's probably not going to come to fruition until the second term of the Clinton presidency. Surely a part of this is how good of a player you are right now.

I don't think most of us look at it that way. To me it doesn't matter how long it takes. It's purely based on how good of player they have the potential to be.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
If I had to pick in order of my prospects it would be

1. Athanasiou
2. Svechnikov
3. Bertuzzi
4. Mantha
5. Saarijaarvi
6. Cholowski
7. Hicketts
8. Holmstrom
9. Nastasiuk
10. Smith

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Anyone else feel Sproul is kinda being overlooked? He's in a tough spot in terms of actually making it onto the Wings roster, very much trade bait.. but he had a solid year in the AHL, with a very good playoff run. Seems to have improved his defense while finding some of that offense again. Imo really shouldn't be behind a guy like Hicketts who is a massive long shot to make the NHL.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone else feel Sproul is kinda being overlooked? He's in a tough spot in terms of actually making it onto the Wings roster, very much trade bait.. but he had a solid year in the AHL, with a very good playoff run. Seems to have improved his defense while finding some of that offense again. Imo really shouldn't be behind a guy like Hicketts who is a massive long shot to make the NHL.

Hicketts has more time on his side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad