Summer Prediction: Does Jeff Blashill finish the 17/18 season as HC?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Many were calling for him to be fired last year. I personally wanted him gone right after the season ended. He will be back. I think he's done in season in 17/18. Any predictions?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
We are a terrible team again. Blashill continues to consistently mismanage his players while doing everything he can to stunt any prospect's development. He gets fired at the end of the season and is replaced by Nelson.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
I think it's pretty clear that the Wings organization has no interest in a massive rebuild or in making the team competitive again. They want to live on the past accomplishments and cash in on a the new arena. They don't care if Blashill wins or not. Holland will keep all the old vets around until they decide they don't want to play anymore. Then he will complain about the salary cap and the lack of draft picks and then do hey, don't forget we won a Cup a few decades ago

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we have a good season, Blashill makes it through.

If we have a bad season, Blashill will TANK us to high pick as a TANK COMMANDER. :nod:

So yeah, he will finish the season anyhow.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I don't believe Holland should be allowed to hire another coach, so he'll be here for the entire season.

Todd Nelson is an obvious choice. Holland's hiring of Blashill was fine too though. We all wanted it, let's be real.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Todd Nelson is an obvious choice. Holland's hiring of Blashill was fine too though. We all wanted it, let's be real.

Exactly. Another coach ain't turning the team around, and whoever they might decide to hire in the next few years will have very slim chances of long-term success if the only change is a new coach.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Assuming Holland is still the GM, I can't see Blashill being fired before his contract expires. Kenny doesn't have the stomach for it.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Exactly. Another coach ain't turning the team around, and whoever they might decide to hire in the next few years will have very slim chances of long-term success if the only change is a new coach.

If Babcock could barely drag this team into the playoffs, with Datsyuk, I fail to see how there's a coach available out there who could, sans Datsyuk, sans Kronwall's legs.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Players were high fiving hella hard when Blashill was hired. I think that means a lot to Holland. Blashill is part of the country club and his dues are paid in full. Holland will keep him until the very end.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We are a terrible team again. Blashill continues to consistently mismanage his players while doing everything he can to stunt any prospect's development. He gets fired at the end of the season and is replaced by Nelson.

Nelson's next gig in the NHL is probably his last crack for a while. I don't think he can afford to take the Detroit job given the current state of the team from a professional standpoint. He should bet on a better situation in my opinion.

I think Blashill sees out the year, but it depends how much heat comes down on Holland. He isn't off to a very good start today to avoid huge amounts of it with what he did today.

If Blashill buys him more beathing space with ownership he might dump him in season. I expect him to coach through the season and us to be a bottom five team.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
I've never been more sure as I am today that Blashill will coach here as long as he wants, so long as he toes the line. He takes some heat off Kenny-boy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the way my guess is what Jeff Blashill got out of Dylan Larkin at the Worlds probably has him in better standing with his bosses than he was at the end of the season.

Unfortunately DeKeyser was still trash for team USA at the tournament.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
This is an organisation that is completely satisfied with maintaining the status quo, despite an abundance of red flags.

Blashill will sign a 2 year contract extension.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson's next gig in the NHL is probably his last crack for a while. I don't think he can afford to take the Detroit job given the current state of the team from a professional standpoint. He should bet on a better situation in my opinion.

I think Blashill sees out the year, but it depends how much heat comes down on Holland. He isn't off to a very good start today to avoid huge amounts of it with what he did today.

If Blashill buys him more beathing space with ownership he might dump him in season. I expect him to coach through the season and us to be a bottom five team.

You act like Todd Nelson has been bad in the NHL when in 30ish games he had great success with a worse Edmonton team than this current Detroit team. If McDavid doesn't get drafted, and they don't do this brand new everything ********, Todd Nelson is still the coach there.

Todd Nelson deserves an NHL coaching gig.

By the way my guess is what Jeff Blashill got out of Dylan Larkin at the Worlds probably has him in better standing with his bosses than he was at the end of the season.

Unfortunately DeKeyser was still trash for team USA at the tournament.

Didn't watch but the World Championships are a completely different thing than to day in and out NHL schedule. He still managed to lose in the QF. Blash is a terrible coach.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
He'll be gone by New Year.

Absolutely no way do they keep a failing coach in place going into a new barn. He will be made to carry the can for Holland's abysmal roster management, and they will bank on the mid-season-coach-replacement-bump to squeeze into 8th.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Blashill will be KH's scapegoat at some point, so I don't buy that he's part of the country club. I guess it depends - will the Detroit media actually start asking the team tough questions, or will they keep letting Holland & Co get away with crap like 'get in and anything can happen' or 'kicking tires' or whatever? I assume there's no interest in asking Holland what he plans to do about his chronic inability to address the most important positions on the ice, so he'll have no pressure to make a move, so Blash will still be on the bench in April.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad