Summer 2018 Prospect Poll: #8

Who is the Sabres' #8 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
All prospects who fit the HF prospect criteria are included.

ELIGIBILITY
-In his Age-24 season with fewer than 65 NHL games for a skater (or 45 games for a goalie).

-If signed out of Europe or the NCAA at age 22 or older, fewer than 65 (skaters) or 45 (goalies) games within three years of signing.

-Linus Ullmark is 25 and has less than 45 games, he won't be included.

-The following players' eligibility is based on the 22 and over rule: Casey Nelson (expires 03/22/19), C.J. Smith (03/30/20), Lawrence Pilut (03/15/21), Andrew Oglevie (04/11/21), Victor Olofsson (04/24/21), Brandon Hickey (07/01/21)

-Danny O'Regan will age out after this season.

-If I have made any mistakes with the list, let me know.

RULES
Each poll runs 24 hours and is public. Vote for your choice and nominate a prospect from the list below to replace that player on the subsequent poll.

If there is a tie in the Top 10, there will be a run-off and the losing prospect will be returned to the pool for the next vote. Outside the Top 10, the tie will hold, the two highest Adds will be added and we'll move on.

PROSPECT RANKINGS
In the past, we've also done skater-only and goalie-only threads, as well as aggregate-type of rankings. If someone is interested, they are welcome to inherit that responsibility.

Summer 2018, Top 20
1. Rasmus Dahlin, D (--) : by acclimation
2. Casey Mittelstadt, C (-1) : 10 of 11 votes (90.9%). Runner up, Tage Thompson (1 vote)
3. Brendan Guhle, D (-1) : 23 of 34 votes (67.6%). Runner up, Alexander Nylander (4 votes)
4. Alexander Nylander, LW (-1) : 61 of 147 votes (41.5%). Runner up, Rasmus Asplund (37 votes)
5. Rasmus Asplund, C (-1) : 72 of 138 votes (52.2%). Runner up, Tage Thompson (15 votes)
6. Tage Thompson, C (--) : 18 of 59 votes (30.5%). Runner up, Victor Olofsson (17 votes)
7. Victor Olofsson, RW (--) : 27 of 57 votes (47.4%). Runner up, Lawrence Pilut (16 votes)

Players Eligible to be Added
G: Jonas Johansson

D: Jacob Bryson, Linus Lindstrand Cronholm, Ivan Chukarov, Casey Fitzgerald, Brandon Hickey, William Worge Kreu, Miska Kukkonen, Brycen Martin, Philip Nyberg, Devante Stephens

F: Christopher Brown, Eric Cornel, Vasili Glotov, Connor Hurley, Vaclav Karabacek, Sean Malone, Brett Murray, Andrew Oglevie, Danny O'Regan, Matej Pekar, Linus Weissbach, Maxwell Willman

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Add Bryson

Also, since O'Regan ages out after this season, he should be listed in the add options.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I REALLY like Samuelsson - I think he has higher upside compared to Pilut - and a more projectable game.

Can someone sell me on Pilut over Samuelsson? Genuinely interested to hear opinions.

Thanks!

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Pilut, add Hickey

Pilut just seems so offensively dynamic, almost like having a 4th forward out there but he's not a liability. Samuelsson projects more like a rock-steady Chris Phillips-type defender, great to have on your side and in the locker room but he's not going to drive the offense. He'll still be in the top ten.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I REALLY like Samuelsson - I think he has higher upside compared to Pilut - and a more projectable game.

Can someone sell me on Pilut over Samuelsson? Genuinely interested to hear opinions.

Thanks!

Pilut is a perfect match for today's game....

If you think of prospects on a scale of both their potential and their floor... as well as their current development state, you could say Pilut and Samuelsson have similar ceilings (relative to their very different styles of play). However, Pilut is much further developed having played pro level hockey for the last 4 years. That significant difference in development levels, makes Pilut more projectable to the pros, and gives him a higher floor.

I have them in completely different tiers of prospect.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Smith, Add Pekar.

Getting tough now, could have gone with 5 different guys in this spot....

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Sept 7-10.

I know adds don't really matter that much in the grade scheme of this thing, but I'm really struggling with the idea that people are valuing Pekar over someone like Sean Malone.

Pekar has a unique aspect to his game that makes him stand out. Malone is probably a better hockey player, but may have a more difficult time carving out a niche.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Sept 7-10.

I know adds don't really matter that much in the grade scheme of this thing, but I'm really struggling with the idea that people are valuing Pekar over someone like Sean Malone.

I have Pekar #15 and Malone #21.
But #13 - #21 are all the same tier IMO.

I agree with @stokes84 that there is a grit/tenacity to Pekar that endears him as a fresh face prospect. It's not a huge factor overall, but when you think about a projection, Pekar has done nothing but make people say "ooooo". While Malone... is a 23 yr old, 6th rounder, who has a decent rookie season in the AHL.... is anyone projecting Malone to higher than 4th line/depth NHLer?

Pekar has a wider Floor/Ceiling spread... Malone's is narrow...
Pekar has a higher potential... Malone's is limited...
Malone has had a slow/steady development track...

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I agree with @stokes84 that there is a grit/tenacity to Pekar that endears him as a fresh face prospect. It's not a huge factor overall, but when you think about a projection, Pekar has done nothing but make people say "ooooo". While Malone... is a 23 yr old, 6th rounder, who has a decent rookie season in the AHL.... is anyone projecting Malone to higher than 4th line/depth NHLer?

I see Malone as a Carrier type. Good 4th liner who doesn't look out of place on a higher line when needed. He will have low counting stats but solid possession stats and constantly be the topic of debate among the fan base.

I have Malone at a 6.475 - 7 ceiling (shutdown center), 5 floor (4th liner), 5.5 projection (strong 4th liners), 9 readiness (near/possibly NHL ready).
Pekar I have at 5.4 - 7 ceiling, 4 floor, 5 projection, 4 readiness (multiple years in college or juniors)

For me, it's not even close, and I like Pekar.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I see Malone as a Carrier type. Good 4th liner who doesn't look out of place on a higher line when needed. He will have low counting stats but solid possession stats and constantly be the topic of debate among the fan base.

I have Malone at a 6.475 - 7 ceiling (shutdown center), 5 floor (4th liner), 5.5 projection (strong 4th liners), 9 readiness (near/possibly NHL ready).
Pekar I have at 5.4 - 7 ceiling, 4 floor, 5 projection, 4 readiness (multiple years in college or juniors)

For me, it's not even close, and I like Pekar.

Carrier and Malone are the same age/same draft... Malone's development has been slower. Carrier put up the same points/pts per game as an AHL rookie... but 2 years earlier.

My version
Malone:
Talent/Ceiling: 2.5 (Lower Non Top 6)
Development: 3.5 (Pro Level)
Floor: 2.0 (AHL / NHL Depth)
Projection: 2.0 (AHL / NHL Depth)

Pekar:
Talent/Ceiling: 3.0 (Upper Non Top 6)
Development: 3.0 (Proper rate)
Floor: 2.0 (AHL / NHL Depth)
Projection: 2.5 (Lower Non Top 6)

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

Eh, I get that but mid- to late-round Tier 1 guys aren't someone I'm going to have a ton of interest in until they've at least done something in college, or the WJCs. (Note, this is also my standing policy for European players who aren't in their countries top league as well, produce there before I start caring). Just my general preferences though, of course.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Pekar seems like he's got potential but I think people are overinfatuated.

He could pan out to be solid but is he getting all this attention if he doesn't annoy dahlin and have the between the legs goal?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Pekar seems like he's got potential but I think people are overinfatuated.

He could pan out to be solid but is he getting all this attention if he doesn't annoy dahlin and have the between the legs goal?

Mittelstadt had 1.24 pts per game in his rookie USHL season...
Pekar had 0.96 pts per game in his rookie USHL season... at the same age.

That's not to put him in Casey's class... just a little context...

I think, given the few conversations happening here, he's fairly underrated

While at a much younger age... Pekar was at near the top of rookie scoring in the USHL (#1 in points, #7 in pts per game). While Malone, granted in a pro league, was 69th in rookie scoring / 176th in rookie pts per game... at 23 years old.

It all comes down to how you see the balance of potential against development....

I have had a soft spot for him... I admit... he says he models his game after Ondrej Palat :heart:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad