Summer 2018 Prospect Poll: #12

Who is the Sabres' #12 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
All prospects who fit the HF prospect criteria are included.

ELIGIBILITY
-In his Age-24 season with fewer than 65 NHL games for a skater (or 45 games for a goalie).

-If signed out of Europe or the NCAA at age 22 or older, fewer than 65 (skaters) or 45 (goalies) games within three years of signing.

-Linus Ullmark is 25 and has less than 45 games, he won't be included.

-The following players' eligibility is based on the 22 and over rule: Casey Nelson (expires 03/22/19), C.J. Smith (03/30/20), Lawrence Pilut (03/15/21), Andrew Oglevie (04/11/21), Victor Olofsson (04/24/21), Brandon Hickey (07/01/21)

-Danny O'Regan will age out after this season.

-If I have made any mistakes with the list, let me know.

RULES
Each poll runs 24 hours and is public. Vote for your choice and nominate a prospect from the list below to replace that player on the subsequent poll.

If there is a tie in the Top 10, there will be a run-off and the losing prospect will be returned to the pool for the next vote. Outside the Top 10, the tie will hold, the two highest Adds will be added and we'll move on.

PROSPECT RANKINGS
In the past, we've also done skater-only and goalie-only threads, as well as aggregate-type of rankings. If someone is interested, they are welcome to inherit that responsibility.

Summer 2018, Top 20
1. Rasmus Dahlin, D (--) : by acclimation
2. Casey Mittelstadt, C (-1) : 10 of 11 votes (90.9%). Runner up, Tage Thompson (1 vote)
3. Brendan Guhle, D (-1) : 23 of 34 votes (67.6%). Runner up, Alexander Nylander (4 votes)
4. Alexander Nylander, LW (-1) : 61 of 147 votes (41.5%). Runner up, Rasmus Asplund (37 votes)
5. Rasmus Asplund, C (-1) : 72 of 138 votes (52.2%). Runner up, Tage Thompson (15 votes)
6. Tage Thompson, C (--) : 18 of 59 votes (30.5%). Runner up, Victor Olofsson (17 votes)
7. Victor Olofsson, RW (--) : 27 of 57 votes (47.4%). Runner up, Lawrence Pilut (16 votes)
8. Lawrence Pilut, D (--) : 32 of 64 votes (50.0%). Runner up, Mattias Samuelsson (11 votes)
9. Mattias Samuelsson, D (--) : 24 of 65 votes (36.9%). Runner up, Marcus Davidsson (20 votes)
10. Marcus Davidsson, C (-1) : 34 of 72 votes (47.2%). Runner up, Will Borgen (13 votes)
11. Will Borgen, D (-3) : 18 of 51 votes (35.3%). Runner ups, O. Laaksonen, U. Luukkonen, C. Smith (8 votes each)

Players Eligible to be Added
G: Jonas Johansson

D: Linus Lindstrand Cronholm, Ivan Chukarov, Casey Fitzgerald, William Worge Kreu, Miska Kukkonen, Brycen Martin, Philip Nyberg, Devante Stephens

F: Christopher Brown, Eric Cornel, Vasili Glotov, Connor Hurley, Vaclav Karabacek, Brett Murray, Andrew Oglevie, Danny O'Regan, Linus Weissbach, Maxwell Willman

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Add Casey Fitzgerald. A guy who will be outside our top 20 and still be an NHLer.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’m surprised Nelson not getting more love.
Yeah, Smith hasnt gotten much either but I never use these ratings for anything other to gauge where fans favorites lay. Most of these prospects are winning with under 50% of the votes and I whole heartedly disagree with where most of them sit currently.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
CJ smith is underrated. i know he's 23 years old but he had a good season in Roc and if he didn't get injured He'd probably would have been called up

Reactions: Reddawg and krt88nc

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
CJ! What has the midget defense done to deserve a ranking higher than CJ? Like anyone has actually seen his potential. Kid wasn’t ranked in his second draft year.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
CJ! What has the midget defense done to deserve a ranking higher than CJ? Like anyone has actually seen his potential. Kid wasn’t ranked in his second draft year.

If your talking about Laaksonen and his height I believe I heard he just had a growth spurt and is now 6’2”. Not that affects where he should be ranked by much though.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I’m surprised Nelson not getting more love.
I think a lot of people see Nelson as a decent tweener who probably looked a little better than he really is because of how bad the Sabres have been the last few years, in particular on the backend. Plus, he's older and has disappointed after promising stints in the past.

Just not as much to get excited about I guess.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
The older, AHL prospects tend to be, IMO, underrated in these polls. Personally, I lean towards the players who may only be depth players for a few years, but have a good chance of reaching that ceiling at this point.

I'd rank Nelson, Smith, Baptiste, Bailey and Malone (in no specific order) over any other choices here, but that's just me.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I hope some of the Swedes makes it to NHL but i cant resist the name Ukka-Pekka, thou being from our brotherland, the enoyingly great hockeynation Finland, i hope he makes it too.

Deleted member 27798

The older, AHL prospects tend to be, IMO, underrated in these polls. Personally, I lean towards the players who may only be depth players for a few years, but have a good chance of reaching that ceiling at this point.

I'd rank Nelson, Smith, Baptiste, Bailey and Malone (in no specific order) over any other choices here, but that's just me.
This. I cannot believe the support for Laaksonen. I wonder if he is coming over for training camp, because until I see it with me own eyes, I won’t believe it. I’ll stand by what I saw at prospect camp last sunmer. He was by far the worst player of those at the camp.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This. I cannot believe the support for Laaksonen. I wonder if he is coming over for training camp, because until I see it with me own eyes, I won’t believe it. I’ll stand by what I saw at prospect camp last sunmer. He was by far the worst player of those at the camp.

His late-season play in Liiga and then some positive summer camp performances gets him recency over 6K who again struggled in U20 evals and didn't have the sort of positive spin late in the regular season.

As for the ratings, it may have to do with older prospects aging into suspects. The range of their potential begins to narrow and that will glue them into spots deeper in the poll than perhaps they once were. It happens regularly.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Call it the Pronman effect...

Reactions: Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
His late-season play in Liiga and then some positive summer camp performances gets him recency over 6K who again struggled in U20 evals and didn't have the sort of positive spin late in the regular season.

As for the ratings, it may have to do with older prospects aging into suspects. The range of their potential begins to narrow and that will glue them into spots deeper in the poll than perhaps they once were. It happens regularly.
If 6K isn't his nickname, it is now. Props. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad