Summer 2017 Prospect Poll: #7

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Personally, I give slightly higher shading to NHL readiness than I do a players ceiling/floor. (I believe Jame does too.) There's no right or wrong here. The injury limited his ability to build his resume last season.
who are you talking about? Fasching?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I always think there's a lot of groupthink going on in these polls.

When a few players are ranked closely together and there's not a strong preference between them, some voters will look around and see how other people are voting. It's a bandwagon effect.

Fasching was the runner up in Round #6, which maybe gives some people the cue to favor him over Bailey in Round #7.

Just my theory.
Your theory is concrete

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Perhaps going down a rabbit hole here, but what happened in the final month of the season to make Bailey go from defeating Baptiste-Fasching 57-9-2 (!) on March 9-10, 2017, to, less than six months later (and one month of actual hockey), being ranked behind both? Honest question.

I've always been a bit more skeptical of Bailey than most, and I didn't vote for him here, either. But I think this is...odd.

People are fickle with their votes, jumping on the next bandwagon or putting too much stock into short term results, especially on the younger and larger players. They also put way to much stock in how these players do against inferior competition and assume it translates to a higher level. But as the player matures and it becomes apparent that these players will not reach the unrealistic projections people had, they start to look at the intangibles and long term results, and right now Bailey has had more opportunities at the NHL level, but showed less than Baptiste.

I have Bailey above Fasching as Fashcing has yet to produce a solid professional season.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
People are fickle with their votes, jumping on the next bandwagon or putting too much stock into short term results, especially on the younger and larger players. They also put way to much stock in how these players do against inferior competition and assume it translates to a higher level. But as the player matures and it becomes apparent that these players will not reach the unrealistic projections people had, they start to look at the intangibles and long term results, and right now Bailey has had more opportunities at the NHL level, but showed less than Baptiste.

I have Bailey above Fasching as Fashcing has yet to produce a solid professional season.

And people make poor analyses of these players based upon the opportunities they've been given, which for Fasching has been a handful of 4th line minutes in a Bylsma system into an injury that derailed his latest entire season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad