Summer 2017 Prospect Poll: #7

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
All prospects who fit the HF prospect critera are included.

ELIGIBILITY
-In his Age-24 season with fewer than 65 games for a skater (or 45 games for a goalie).

-If signed out of Europe or the NCAA at age 22 or older, fewer than 65 (skaters) or 45 (goalies) games within three years of signing.

RULES
Each poll runs 24 hours and is public. Vote for your choice and nominate a prospect from the list below to replace that player on the subsequent poll.

If there is a tie in the Top 10, there will be a run-off and the losing prospect will be returned to the pool for the next vote. Outside the Top 10, the tie will hold, the two highest Adds will be added and we'll move on.

PROSPECT RANKINGS
In the past, we've also done skater-only and goalie-only threads, as well as aggregate-type of rankings. If someone is interested, they are welcome to inherit that responsibility.

Summer 2017 Top 20
1. Casey Mittelstadt, C: (NR) 88 of 102 votes, 86.27% (runner up: Alexander Nylander, 10 votes)
2. Alexander Nylander, LW: (-1) 87 of 104 votes, 83.65% (runner up: Brendan Guhle, 9 votes)
3. Brendan Guhle, D: (-1) 70 of 113 votes, 61.95% (runner up: Rasmus Asplund, 27 votes)
4. Rasmus Asplund, C: (-1) 68 of 92 votes, 73.91% (runner up: Victor Antipin, 16 votes)
5. Victor Antipin, D: (NR) 44 of 79 votes, 55.70% (runner up: Nick Baptiste, 14 votes)
6. Nick Baptiste, RW: (--) 33 of 80 votes, 41.25% (runner up: Hudson Fasching, 15 votes)

ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

F: Christopher Brown, Eric Cornel, Vasily Glotov, Seth Griffith, Brandon Hagel, Connor Hurley, Vaclav Karabacek, Brett Murray, Victor Olofsson, Judd Peterson, C.J. Smith, Linus Weissbach, Maxwell Willman

D: Jacob Bryson, Vojtech Budik, Ivan Chukarov, Oskari Laaksonen, Brycen Martin, Casey Nelson, Philip Nyberg, Austin Osmanski, Devante Stephens

G: Jonas Johansson, Jason Kasdorf, Adam Wilcox

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Perhaps going down a rabbit hole here, but what happened in the final month of the season to make Bailey go from defeating Baptiste-Fasching 57-9-2 (!) on March 9-10, 2017, to, less than six months later (and one month of actual hockey), being ranked behind both? Honest question.

I've always been a bit more skeptical of Bailey than most, and I didn't vote for him here, either. But I think this is...odd.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Perhaps going down a rabbit hole here, but what happened in the final month of the season to make Bailey go from defeating Baptiste-Fasching 57-9-2 (!) on March 9-10, 2017, to, less than six months later (and one month of actual hockey), being ranked behind both? Honest question.

I've always been a bit more skeptical of Bailey than most, and I didn't vote for him here, either. But I think this is...odd.

I always think there's a lot of groupthink going on in these polls.

When a few players are ranked closely together and there's not a strong preference between them, some voters will look around and see how other people are voting. It's a bandwagon effect.

Fasching was the runner up in Round #6, which maybe gives some people the cue to favor him over Bailey in Round #7.

Just my theory.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I always think there's a lot of groupthink going on in these polls.

When a few players are ranked closely together and there's not a strong preference between them, some voters will look around and see how other people are voting. It's a bandwagon effect.

Fasching was the runner up in Round #6, which maybe gives some people the cue to favor him over Bailey in Round #7.

Just my theory.

One has better physical tools, the other a better mind to use the tools available. Its close. I dont rate either particularly high personally but I dont watch Rochester so thats only based on what Ive seen in limited Buf games, prospect challenges, highlights, etc. Hard to separate them, if anything I am surprised there is a clear winner in any of the polls between them either way (March or now).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

In prospects camp (again, lol, latest showing), he showed no signs of getting his hands and head in the same gear as his feet. This has been the knock on him for years and his ceiling is based upon him getting them together. I still think his floor is an effective bottom-6 NHLer with those feet of his, which would give him my next vote after Fasching.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

I think people soured a lot on bailey after his call-up (which finished after his poll). I also think many (or at least I, personally, did) soured on fasching quickly at the beginning of the year when he was up with the sabres before getting injured spending most of the year on IR and that stuck in people's minds during the spring poll. But then he came back for a few games at the end of his year with a jump in his step which recalibrated me. And baptiste was in the AHL all year so kinda out of sight out of mind, but put up a big year so he's still got the most "potential" that hasn't been lowered by disappointing stints in the NHL (he did get a few games but not a lot of opportunity like Bailey/Fasching had).

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I have Bailey ahead of Baptiste and Fasching, but they are all behind Borgen. Basically, having a guy who is ranked low by many high on your own list can throw off numbers. Just one example. Not that people who vote like me would change an outcome by much.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think people soured a lot on bailey after his call-up (which finished after his poll). I also think many (or at least I, personally, did) soured on fasching quickly at the beginning of the year when he was up with the sabres before getting injured spending most of the year on IR and that stuck in people's minds during the spring poll. But then he came back for a few games at the end of his year with a jump in his step which recalibrated me. And baptiste was in the AHL all year so kinda out of sight out of mind, but put up a big year so he's still got the most "potential" that hasn't been lowered by disappointing stints in the NHL (he did get a few games but not a lot of opportunity like Bailey/Fasching had).

His "call-up" was almost half the season. Though I guess most people didn't notice him. Baptiste did more in his 14 games than Bailey in his 32 so I think it's very understandable why people are higher on Baptiste.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I've always bounced back and forth on Bailey and Baptiste but I've always had them ahead of Fasching.

But to answer your question.....

Narratives being repeated over and over go a long way.

Just ask Sean Hannity and Rachel Maddow

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I have Fasching here (7.2) just edging out Bailey (7.025) before a bit of a dropoff before my next tier, which includes Aspland, Pu, and UPL.

Add Christopher Brown, who I previously noted is totally flying under the radar as he puts together a very respectable co0llegiate career.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Personally, I give slightly higher shading to NHL readiness than I do a players ceiling/floor. (I believe Jame does too.) There's no right or wrong here. The injury limited his ability to build his resume last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad