Summer 2017 Prospect Poll: #10

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
All prospects who fit the HF prospect critera are included.

ELIGIBILITY
-In his Age-24 season with fewer than 65 games for a skater (or 45 games for a goalie).

-If signed out of Europe or the NCAA at age 22 or older, fewer than 65 (skaters) or 45 (goalies) games within three years of signing.

RULES
Each poll runs 24 hours and is public. Vote for your choice and nominate a prospect from the list below to replace that player on the subsequent poll.

If there is a tie in the Top 10, there will be a run-off and the losing prospect will be returned to the pool for the next vote. Outside the Top 10, the tie will hold, the two highest Adds will be added and we'll move on.

PROSPECT RANKINGS
In the past, we've also done skater-only and goalie-only threads, as well as aggregate-type of rankings. If someone is interested, they are welcome to inherit that responsibility.

Summer 2017 Top 20
1. Casey Mittelstadt, C: (NR) 88 of 102 votes, 86.27% (runner up: Alexander Nylander, 10 votes)
2. Alexander Nylander, LW: (-1) 87 of 104 votes, 83.65% (runner up: Brendan Guhle, 9 votes)
3. Brendan Guhle, D: (-1) 70 of 113 votes, 61.95% (runner up: Rasmus Asplund, 27 votes)
4. Rasmus Asplund, C: (-1) 68 of 92 votes, 73.91% (runner up: Victor Antipin, 16 votes)
5. Victor Antipin, D: (NR) 44 of 79 votes, 55.70% (runner up: Nick Baptiste, 14 votes)
6. Nick Baptiste, RW: (--) 33 of 80 votes, 41.25% (runner up: Hudson Fasching, 15 votes)
7. Hudson Fasching, RW: (--) 35 of 81 votes, 43.21% (runner up: Justin Bailey, 16 votes)
8. Justin Bailey, RW: (-4) 31 of 71 votes, 43.66% (runner up: Linus Ullmark, 15 votes)
9. Linus Ullmark, G: (+3) 22 of 74 votes, 29.73% (runner up: Marcus Davidsson, 17 votes)

ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

F: Christopher Brown, Eric Cornel, Vasily Glotov, Seth Griffith, Connor Hurley, Vaclav Karabacek, Brett Murray, Judd Peterson, Linus Weissbach, Maxwell Willman

D: Jacob Bryson, Vojtech Budik, Ivan Chukarov, Oskari Laaksonen, Brycen Martin, Casey Nelson, Philip Nyberg, Austin Osmanski, Devante Stephens

G: Jonas Johansson, Jason Kasdorf, Adam Wilcox

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Gonna go with the starter potential again, the rest have most bottom 6 ceilings pretty much and the D I have not seen enough of to judge if anyone has top 4 potential. Sue me

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Went with Erod here. He basically has already demonstrated he belongs in the NHL. Versatile, cheap, can move up and down the lineup, can play a two-way game, good skater, has a scoring flair, is skilled. That's a guy a lot of teams will want in their organization.

add Nelson (didn't realize he hasn't made the cut yet).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is an interesting tier. UPL, Davidsson, Borgen, Pu, ERod, Smith, and Malone all in the mix on my list, not separated by much.

Add Nelson here.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Went with Erod here. He basically has already demonstrated he belongs in the NHL. Versatile, cheap, can move up and down the lineup, can play a two-way game, good skater, has a scoring flair, is skilled. That's a guy a lot of teams will want in their organization.

ditto for me

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
because he is already in the NHL, these other guys are not.

Dont think thats how prospects shpuld be rated. If hes NHL ready and good, yes. ERod likely never becomes top6 F so why rate him high. You have to take into account ceiling and floor as you are comparing prospects at different stages im their careers. I do like ERod, just dont rate him too high in a prospect rankinfs as his celing is fairly low. Id take someone with semi realistic top6, top4 or goalie starter prospect over a NHL ready 4th liner limited upside any day. Now, if you think none of the rest of the players leff has that upside, fair enough. I have some hope for UPL and Pu personally although Pu ptobably ends up 3rd liner sort of guy more than top 6.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Erod is going to get the Chad Ruhwedel shaft these polls

24YO and has 8 points in the NHL, what do you expect exactly? He will be an NHLer, he is just not a top prospect which is what the poll is for. Griffith is no worse than him I think and hes not even in the poll list yet.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
24YO and has 8 points in the NHL, what do you expect exactly? He will be an NHLer, he is just not a top prospect which is what the poll is for. Griffith is no worse than him I think and hes not even in the poll list yet.

I don't expect anything, just pointing out the comparison. I liked ruhwedel and championed for him in the prospect polls a couple years ago for basically the same reasons given for erod. High floor low ceiling players don't really poll well in these things. Don't need you to tell me "what the poll is for".

I'm not particularly high on Erod myself. I expect him to get beat out by one of Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching/Nylander for the seemingly open RW roster slot out of camp. Kinda forgot he would even be in on that contested spot until just now.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017

Besides cheap and can skate, I've seen very little of all these abilities you're attributing to Evan Rodrigues. He's also 24 and this is the last time he'd be considered here as a prospect. He mostly is what he is.

If the upside of Pu and Davidson at age 24 is what Evan Rodrigues currently is (which possibly could happen), then I'd be slightly surprised and disappointed.

Also, Nelson is 25 so I don't think he qualifies. Nelson has looked totally lost the majority of his NHL time anyways.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Dont think thats how prospects shpuld be rated. If hes NHL ready and good, yes. ERod likely never becomes top6 F so why rate him high. You have to take into account ceiling and floor as you are comparing prospects at different stages im their careers. I do like ERod, just dont rate him too high in a prospect rankinfs as his celing is fairly low. Id take someone with semi realistic top6, top4 or goalie starter prospect over a NHL ready 4th liner limited upside any day. Now, if you think none of the rest of the players leff has that upside, fair enough. I have some hope for UPL and Pu personally although Pu ptobably ends up 3rd liner sort of guy more than top 6.

You have to consider ceiling AND a floor. The ONLY reason why guys like Pu and davidsson get votes ahead of a guy like E Rod is because they are less developed, and therefore are regarded as more likely to reach their ceiling.

The reality is, in this tier we can't assume that guys like Pu will even hit the NHL. Rod has played ~20 NHL games, scored 8pts, and has shown quality passing, PK, and depth scoring ability. That is more contribution than many players receiving votes ahead of them.

It's always easier to vote for players earlier in their development because of the "what if..." factor. What if Davidson translates to NA? What if Pu can better his skating? The reality is many of these players' "what ifs" never get much better.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
You have to consider ceiling AND a floor. The ONLY reason why guys like Pu and davidsson get votes ahead of a guy like E Rod is because they are less developed, and therefore are regarded as more likely to reach their ceiling.

The reality is, in this tier we can't assume that guys like Pu will even hit the NHL. Rod has played ~20 NHL games, scored 8pts, and has shown quality passing, PK, and depth scoring ability. That is more contribution than many players receiving votes ahead of them.

It's always easier to vote for players earlier in their development because of the "what if..." factor. What if Davidson translates to NA? What if Pu can better his skating? The reality is many of these players' "what ifs" never get much better.

Of course you evaluate both that is why I said realistic top6 upside. If his realistic upside in your mind is bottom6 and you already have a semidecent 4th liner like Evan then it makes sense to select the higher floor guy first.
Also for the record IMO Pu>Davidsson based on the little I have seen from both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad