Suggestions on helping pay for funeral expenses for a U.S. veteran

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I often joke that one way to make a statement - any statement - more acceptable is to use the phrase, "I'm asking for a friend." [The other is, "I mean it in the nicest way possible."] This one, I really am asking for a friend.

A friend of mine recently lost her spouse, who was a U.S. veteran. Don't remember the branch, specifics, etc. - just know he was older, served, died suddenly, and they kind of epitomized "dirt poor." She was able to get him buried but is struggling with the expenses from that. I know there have to be resources out there that can help her with this, but I have no clue where she should start. So, I turn to the masses here at HF to see who here knows anything and can offer productive suggestions. (I can offer lots of unproductive suggestions; right now, I'm trying to take care of a vet who served the U.S. with pride and dignity.)

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'm not a veteran, so this advice is purely logical while hopefully practical. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) leaps to mind as a primary resource. This USG webpage has brief explanations of benefits available to vets & their families in such situations: Burial and Survivor Benefits for Veterans | USAGov. You can help your friend by contacting the VA directly, explaining the situation, and getting their advice on her behalf. VA has gotten a bad rap in the past for being a bureaucracy machine, so be prepared with patience & resolve.

If your friend had her husband buried through services provided by a funeral home, someone there may also have advice re. benefits or other monetary support options outside of the military. Hopefully other members here will chime in with helpful info. Good luck, and may God bless the grieving widow.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad