Advice: Suggestions for learning to play roller hockey in Toronto

Monsieurturk

Jun 28, 2016
Hi guys, do anyone know if there's a roller hockey camp for adults in Toronto? Or some place where they teach the drills, stick handling etc? I can skate pretty good. I used to play ice hockey but I was a goalie and it's been a long time since.
Thanks

Last edited:

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I know the Mississauga Roller Hockey Association has learn to play programs for kids, I believe the Halton league does as well and Bob Acton sports in the beaches used to have roller hockey as part of his summer camps for kids, but I don't know of any adult programs. There are plenty of adult ice hockey programs though and things like shooting, stick handling, passing ect. are skills you can use in both ice and roller even if the puck is different (and some inline leagues use a ball).

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
What most people do is just start out in a low tier and learn by playing. There are usually a couple better players on each team that are playing below their skill level just so they can play with friends to learn from, plus you can watch and learn from higher tiers if they have games before or after yours.

Some general tips for roller vs. ice:

There are no offsides so you should never dump and chase. It's about controlling the play - the best teams are patient and pass it around until they get a great shot. In that way it has more in common with basketball or soccer than most high paced ice hockey games.

It's harder for a goalie to move laterally so setting up cross crease passes, one timers and back door plays is generally very effective.

Practice stopping - a lot of players can't stop (especially in the lower tiers) and if you can, it's definitely an advantage.

Buy the proper wheels for the surface - you'll use different wheels for sport court than you would for smooth cement or outdoors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad