Player Discussion Suggestions for Coaching Experimentation in Meaningless Games

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Now the Canucks are officially eliminated, what Coaching experiments should the Canucks take a look at as they play out the string?

The obvious ones are bringing up AHL players on an emergency basis to see how they look, for example, Karlsson, Bains and Woo.

The less obvious ones are trying players in new positions like Kravtsov or Podkolzin at centre; a position both have played before but not at the AHL or NHL level.

Given that Coaches are ingrained for conservatism and resist such changes, instead we will probably be fed a constant dose of 28-year-old Dries down the middle.

The other one worth trying is probably Pettersson between Kravtsov and Podkolzin for a five-game stretch to see if these players can produce with a top centre.

This is worth knowing, as it will help establish their ceilings.

Any others?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1 increase Hughes ice time to see how he handles it
2 double shift Pettersson to maximize his points driving up his value
3 limit the young guys ice time so they watch the pros on how to do it
4 no breaks for young guys, an error means benching
5 run Demko the remainder of the games

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
1 increase Hughes ice time to see how he handles it
2 double shift Pettersson to maximize his points driving up his value
3 limit the young guys ice time so they watch the pros on how to do it
4 no breaks for young guys, an error means benching
5 run Demko the remainder of the games

We need to prepare Hughes to play 40 min a night next year so we can use OEL and Myers 8 min a game.

Reactions: Breakers

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I think they should try playing with 6 skaters and no goalie. Rest Demko and guarantee losses.
But this team's goal is to try and get higher in the standings. 12th overall would be ideal so we can have 0% at Bedard. These points will translate to next season's success as Benning and now Tocchet have pointed out.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Maybe Tocchet will see things differently but I'm not sure if the team will experiment on anything major.

More likely they will just run similar lines with minor tweaks here and there, ignoring the possible benefit of letting some young guys getting true NHL experience in a situation such as this.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
This is going well..

Personally i would like to see some attempts at a bottom line checking line projecting to next year..

I would like to see PDG tried with Aman and maybe a garland or podkolzin on the right. This is while joshua keeps getting a look on the top line.

I also though like the idea of trying Joshua with Miller and Boeser and Garland on the left with petey and kuz

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I'm all for dangling the carrots in front of Podz and Kravstov. Let me play with EP and JT, and tell them exactly want the coaches want to see from them. Send them into the summer with some confidence and a list of what they still need to work on. Same with Hogz if they can call him up.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Try loading up a line and see if everyone else can be sufficient as depth pieces but with more responsibility, see how we fare as a one line team.

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Miller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad