OT: Sudden Death film

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Didn't "Sudden Death" use a bunch of the Wheeling Thunderbird players for the actual hockey scenes? I think they wanted to use footage from an actual Pens/Hawks exhibition but the directors weren't happy with the results.

It was during the lockout year. So Bladwin setup a game between the Pens and the Blackhawks. Well, both teams phoned it in so the brought in ECHL players to reshoot the scenes.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I actually was there with my girlfriend for the filming.

They did it on a Saturday and wanted some live people there, and we had nothing better to do so said why not. They gave everyone a free hot dog and coke as payment. They still needed to have hundreds of cutout people in the stands, this was before CGI technology.

Was a cool experience, the Pens played WBS I think in what was like a preseason game.

Yup, it was a good time. It was actually the Cleveland Lumberjacks dressed as the Hawks.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
It was during the lockout year. So Bladwin setup a game between the Pens and the Blackhawks. Well, both teams phoned it in so the brought in ECHL players to reshoot the scenes.
The Cleveland Lumberjacks played the Blackhawks. Ian Moran was Chris Chelios. I read that Pat Brisson played someone also.

Also, I think it was originally supposed to be a Penguins-Kings game, because they wanted Gretzky.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
The Cleveland Lumberjacks played the Blackhawks. Ian Moran was Chris Chelios. I read that Pat Brisson played someone also.

Also, I think it was originally supposed to be a Penguins-Kings game, because they wanted Gretzky.

I thought is was right after Blackhawks vs Penguins Stanley Cup so it was the league's best 2 teams.

Never heard the Gretzky thing. Not saying your wrong just never heard that info before

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Was inside twice with the roof open - once for a Pittsburgh Triangles World Team Tennis match, and the other a concert, I think the PSO. I recall the sound similarly to how Jacob does above (although I only saw it working the one time, the other the roof was already open).

I vaguely remember the roof opening during a rock concert in the 70s. :yo:

The amount of smoke (much of it coming from an illegal substance) rushing thru the roof opening was incredible.

Then, again, that was the 70s, a long time ago. :sarcasm: I could have, however, been hallucinating.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Still holds up as a classic cheesy action film from the '80s/early '90s heyday.

Then again, Commando's probably my favourite movie of all-time, so take that with a grain of salt.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Still holds up as a classic cheesy action film from the '80s/early '90s heyday.

Then again, Commando's probably my favourite movie of all-time, so take that with a grain of salt.

I mean... Sudden Death is certainly no Time Cop or Hard Target.

Much less Commando. Or even Cobra, for that matter.

pensfansince88

Feb 5, 2012
Yeah, I actually got to witness the roof opening (part way) once. Same as Jacob... it was during a Phantoms game when I was quite young. Also, like Jacob, I was less-than-comfortable with the noises it made and the overall structural integrity of the building as it was happening.

me too, wonder if it was the same game

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, we might well have all been at the same game. They were only around one season and I'm pretty sure they only opened the roof once. Though I can't find confirmation of that. Anyway... I went up with my neighborhood friend, his dad and his brothers because we were all super into roller at the time. And the Penguins, of course.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean... Sudden Death is certainly no Time Cop or Hard Target.

Much less Commando. Or even Cobra, for that matter.

Great, now I have to plan an action movie marathon.

cobra3.png

Time to stock up on Pepsi and Coors.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
C Dub said:
Time to stock up on Pepsi and Coors.

...while eating cold pizza with a pair of scissors... as you investigate an axe-cult... that is murdering models who do fashion shoots with 80s robots for... reasons?

Also... so many RC Cola plugs. Jesus. There's even one peeking out in that picture you posted. You know... behind the giant plugs for Coors and Pepsi. Ol' Sly must have needed cash badly for that little project. Probably to get Red Sonja on board so he could, uh... woo her. Undoubtedly the entire motivation for Cobra in the first place.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
...while eating cold pizza with a pair of scissors... as you investigate an axe-cult... that is murdering models who do fashion shoots with 80s robots for... reasons?

Also... so many RC Cola plugs. Jesus. There's even one peeking out in that picture you posted. You know... behind the giant plugs for Coors and Pepsi. Ol' Sly must have needed cash badly for that little project. Probably to get Red Sonja on board so he could, uh... woo her. Undoubtedly the entire motivation for Cobra in the first place.

Glorious. :laugh:

Probably right about Brigitte...I imagine Amazons have big appetites. Alls I know is that Cobra set the standard for my product placement expectations. If it's there, it better be large and in charge.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I remember I got a free puck signed by one of the players, Brian Cook. I also remember there was a phantom mascot that was I presume a girl in a costume that came out and did figure skating stuff before the game but she hit a wet spot on the floor and wiped out.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I was at that game as well. My buddy and I even moved up to the top of the side of the arena that was open to experience it and look out the opening. Wish I had a smart phone with a camera like I do now. Would have been a great memory to document.

" On August 25, 1994 the Civic Arena roof opened to the Space Odessy theme song while the Phantoms played the Minnesota Arctic Blast. It was the first time the stainless steel dome was opened for a professional hockey game."

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I remember a Penguin player in an interview (can't remember which player) commenting on the team watching the movie and Jagr being pissed because he was a -3 or something in the film.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You ever notice that on any film where Stallone has at least partial control of the writing & filming, he insists on showing his bare ass?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad