Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Finally, a commitment to team D. Berehowsky has already earned my respect as a D consultant. D playing up taking at red or our blue and forwards are committed to back pressure/support. Slot was shut down. It can be done. Already, one more playoff win than last year….Go Wolfers

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
No wonder they are going to Brampton… home game to start the playoffs and it’s nearly empty.

Extremely disappointing because the team has done a good job with promotion and player interaction but people are completely apathetic to OHL hockey in Mississauga.

The worst thing is that I don’t see attendance improving at all in Brampton.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I think the apathy is in the entire GTA when it comes to OHL hockey sadly.

That’s not the case in Oshawa. Even with down years in the past two seasons, the Generals still had decent crowds.

Third highest attendance number they’ve ever had at 6200 in the last game against Sudbury and the previous game was over 6000.

I expect the place to be packed tomorrow night.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Extremely disappointing because the team has done a good job with promotion and player interaction but people are completely apathetic to OHL hockey in Mississauga.

I'm very familiar with the Mississauga / Brampton community. They might do slightly better being back inBrampton but as we know the battalion were in Brampton previously. Nice areana. I believe at least two rinks in the complex. The problem is location. There's so much other ways spending your money doing various events in the peel region

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That’s not the case in Oshawa. Even with down years in the past two seasons, the Generals still had decent crowds.

Third highest attendance number they’ve ever had at 6200 in the last game against Sudbury and the previous game was over 6000.

I expect the place to be packed tomorrow night.
Historically, Oshawa fans on here claim that they are NOT part of the GTA.

Just sayin.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

Just sayin.
And I can see why they say that. They're located east of toronto. Their neighbours being Whitby ajax Pickering etc. the region is named Durham region. Theyre approximately an hour and a bit from downtown Toronto on a good day

Last edited:
Reactions: djscooter

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Just sayin.

Oshawa is definitely part of the GTA.

It’s not nearly as diverse as the rest of the GTA and the downtown area is an embarrassment, but there’s no question that it’s included in the GTA.

IMG_1189.jpeg

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Not sure why Oakville doesn’t have a team. Pretty rich area from my experience and a good size for a city. Think they’d be way better off than Brampton personally.

Great win for the wolves tonight. Very impressive win. If vondras plays like that this playoffs you guys will go far. That was the big question about Sudbury coming into the playoffs here imo.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Not sure why Oakville doesn’t have a team. Pretty rich area from my experience and a good size for a city. Think they’d be way better off than Brampton personally.

Great win for the wolves tonight. Very impressive win. If vondras plays like that this playoffs you guys will go far. That was the big question about Sudbury coming into the playoffs here imo.

Oakville doesn’t have an arena, so that’d be the first obstacle.

If I was the owner, I’d prefer Belleville or even Cornwall instead of Mississauga and Brampton.

Whoppy52

Mar 6, 2013
Biggest difference in the Wolves play tonight was not allowing Grade A scoring chances. Vondras actually had a great defensive effort in front of him. Only had to make two big saves tonight. That was my take away.

WJ
Good game last night! Go Wolves Go!
Stay out of the box and we should do well!

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Vondras was good but he didn’t have many major saves to make thanks to the whole team finally paying some attention to structure and overall team defence. Goalies look a lot better when they aren’t hung out to dry like they have been most of the year.

Great overall effort, still some cleanup up to do with penalties but this is the group we’ve been expecting all year.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014

Chatham is going to get a team yet...

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I hope we can move on from the geography lesson in this thread and talk about the outstanding game our woofers played last night.

The full line up allowed us to have balance from 1st to the 4th line.

The defensive structure was evident and the back checking from the forwards was not seen for weeks. Could this be the influence of Drake B in just one week??? Regardless I thought the veteran experience of McCoy was pivotal last night. He controlled our D all night and was a true leader leading by example. Best deal for Paps at the deadline. Not a sexy move but his quiet leadership and maturity was so needed. And now his playoff experience is oozing out.

Vondras played well because he didn't have to face high end scoring chances every time the opponent entered the zone. OHL teams like Oshawa and London have great team defence and easily affects goaltenders GAA and Save %. If Sudbury can play this sound in their own end then they could possibly cause havoc.

The offence is there and if teams take penalties we will make them pay. Sudbury needs to continue to press the pace of the game and draw penalties. Funny to see Mississauga play three players high on the penalty kill to prevent the seam pass and limit Dvorsky from having a clear opportunity for a shot. Wolves will need to work the play down low and cause Missy to move down from that high coverage allowing space at the top end of the circle for guys like Dvorksy, DeAnglios and Goyette.

The crowd was purely a disgrace for a playoff game. Not surprising though. Funny to see more cheers from Wolves fans after they scored.

As for the Mississauga broadcasters maybe they should tame down on trying to guess that Vondras was fighting the puck. He came out with the shut out and made the 2 or 3 big saves when Missy was pressing late in the 3rd period. Didn't seem to be fighting the puck there. Yes I get it didn't have a particularly good second half to the season but bothers me when the game is not even 5 minutes in and these guys describe him as fighting the puck.

Hoping for the Wolves to come out in game 2 with the same jump and defensive responsibility. It really seemed to take Missy for a loop as they have had their way with us offensively the last couple of matches.

Not sure of the status of Villeneuve's injury. But to see him come back out the last shift of the game with a full cage just tells you his desire to play through injuries. Complete warrior.

WJ

Almost forgot they need to stay away from the scrums after the whistle. Guys like Leskovar will take dumb penalties if frustrated. Wolves need to take it and skate away with the PP.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I hope we can move on from the geography lesson in this thread and talk about the outstanding game our woofers played last night.

The full line up allowed us to have balance from 1st to the 4th line.

The defensive structure was evident and the back checking from the forwards was not seen for weeks. Could this be the influence of Drake B in just one week??? Regardless I thought the veteran experience of McCoy was pivotal last night. He controlled our D all night and was a true leader leading by example. Best deal for Paps at the deadline. Not a sexy move but his quiet leadership and maturity was so needed. And now his playoff experience is oozing out.

Vondras played well because he didn't have to face high end scoring chances every time the opponent entered the zone. OHL teams like Oshawa and London have great team defence and easily affects goaltenders GAA and Save %. If Sudbury can play this sound in their own end then they could possibly cause havoc.

The offence is there and if teams take penalties we will make them pay. Sudbury needs to continue to press the pace of the game and draw penalties. Funny to see Mississauga play three players high on the penalty kill to prevent the seam pass and limit Dvorsky from having a clear opportunity for a shot. Wolves will need to work the play down low and cause Missy to move down from that high coverage allowing space at the top end of the circle for guys like Dvorksy, DeAnglios and Goyette.

The crowd was purely a disgrace for a playoff game. Not surprising though. Funny to see more cheers from Wolves fans after they scored.

As for the Mississauga broadcasters maybe they should tame down on trying to guess that Vondras was fighting the puck. He came out with the shut out and made the 2 or 3 big saves when Missy was pressing late in the 3rd period. Didn't seem to be fighting the puck there. Yes I get it didn't have a particularly good second half to the season but bothers me when the game is not even 5 minutes in and these guys describe him as fighting the puck.

Hoping for the Wolves to come out in game 2 with the same jump and defensive responsibility. It really seemed to take Missy for a loop as they have had their way with us offensively the last couple of matches.

Not sure of the status of Villeneuve's injury. But to see him come back out the last shift of the game with a full cage just tells you his desire to play through injuries. Complete warrior.

WJ

Almost forgot they need to stay away from the scrums after the whistle. Guys like Leskovar will take dumb penalties if frustrated. Wolves need to take it and skate away with the PP.
Definitely the best post I have read this season,everything in a nut shell.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Before the playoffs started, I expected this would be the closest matchup of the first round.

There’s no question that Sudbury has the far better forwards and Mississauga is far superior in net - - classic matchup of top offense vs top goaltending . But if Sudbury can get anything at all from Vondras, this series won’t last very long.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I think only Hutchison and Burchell is worse than Ferguson and Burchill. That's horrible. Those bozos should not be getting playoff games.
The Saginaw vs Owen Sound game was way better officiated in comparison. Tell me there will be diff refs tomorrow pls…

Was not expecting a Vondras shutout to open the playoffs!
I was thinking how funny hockey is. There is no way I’d have taken that bet. That’s why I’m very reticent to bet on hockey.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well no talk of “sleepy Joe” today. Credit who you want but sure didn’t look like a team with no coaching last night.
Vondras was good but he didn’t have many major saves to make thanks to the whole team finally paying some attention to structure and overall team defence. Goalies look a lot better when they aren’t hung out to dry like they have been most of the year.

Great overall effort, still some cleanup up to do with penalties but this is the group we’ve been expecting all year.
No great saves needed..unless you count the last big one he made late which was deemed “the save of the night”. Maybe he plays his best when the stakes are high. I’ve always thought he was our best bet if he could get it together..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad