Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
This is why you play the games. Winner's of 12 straight , gens lose 4- 2 at home. That's a big road win. I'd like to see the wolves win a big road game like this in these playoffs. Enjoyed watching this game.

Inexcusable loss by the Generals tonight. It’s not like Oshawa wasn’t ready and came out flat - - they just couldn’t seem to get the bounces and capitalize on their scoring opportunities. Oshawa is clearly the better team, but when you make dumb giveaways in your own zone this is how upsets happen.

As for Sudbury “winning a big road game in the playoffs” I’d say that’s exactly what happened in Game 1 at Mississauga. Unless you’re expecting Sudbury to win this series comfortably?

When I spoke with Musty after the game in Oshawa to close out the season, I said that I feel like you guys can beat Mississauga. Must replied so nonchalant and matter-of-factly “yeah we can beat them”.

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
Inexcusable loss by the Generals tonight. It’s not like Oshawa wasn’t ready and came out flat - - they just couldn’t seem to get the bounces and capitalize on their scoring opportunities. Oshawa is clearly the better team, but when you make dumb giveaways in your own zone this is how upsets happen.

As for Sudbury “winning a big road game in the playoffs” I’d say that’s exactly what happened in Game 1 at Mississauga. Unless you’re expecting Sudbury to win this series comfortably?

When I spoke with Musty after the game in Oshawa to close out the season, I said that I feel like you guys can beat Mississauga. Must replied so nonchalant and matter-of-factly “yeah we can beat them”.
I think we’ll beat them in 5, or sweep them tbh.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I think we’ll beat them in 5, or sweep them tbh.

With the way Vondras and the defense played in game 1, that’s entirely possible.

Will be interesting to see who Mississauga goes with in net for Game 2. Leenders wasn’t great so it would not surprise me if they come back with Ivankovic.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I hope we can move on from the geography lesson in this thread and talk about the outstanding game our woofers played last night.

The full line up allowed us to have balance from 1st to the 4th line.

The defensive structure was evident and the back checking from the forwards was not seen for weeks. Could this be the influence of Drake B in just one week??? Regardless I thought the veteran experience of McCoy was pivotal last night. He controlled our D all night and was a true leader leading by example. Best deal for Paps at the deadline. Not a sexy move but his quiet leadership and maturity was so needed. And now his playoff experience is oozing out.

Vondras played well because he didn't have to face high end scoring chances every time the opponent entered the zone. OHL teams like Oshawa and London have great team defence and easily affects goaltenders GAA and Save %. If Sudbury can play this sound in their own end then they could possibly cause havoc.

The offence is there and if teams take penalties we will make them pay. Sudbury needs to continue to press the pace of the game and draw penalties. Funny to see Mississauga play three players high on the penalty kill to prevent the seam pass and limit Dvorsky from having a clear opportunity for a shot. Wolves will need to work the play down low and cause Missy to move down from that high coverage allowing space at the top end of the circle for guys like Dvorksy, DeAnglios and Goyette.

The crowd was purely a disgrace for a playoff game. Not surprising though. Funny to see more cheers from Wolves fans after they scored.

As for the Mississauga broadcasters maybe they should tame down on trying to guess that Vondras was fighting the puck. He came out with the shut out and made the 2 or 3 big saves when Missy was pressing late in the 3rd period. Didn't seem to be fighting the puck there. Yes I get it didn't have a particularly good second half to the season but bothers me when the game is not even 5 minutes in and these guys describe him as fighting the puck.

Hoping for the Wolves to come out in game 2 with the same jump and defensive responsibility. It really seemed to take Missy for a loop as they have had their way with us offensively the last couple of matches.

Not sure of the status of Villeneuve's injury. But to see him come back out the last shift of the game with a full cage just tells you his desire to play through injuries. Complete warrior.

WJ

Almost forgot they need to stay away from the scrums after the whistle. Guys like Leskovar will take dumb penalties if frustrated. Wolves need to take it and skate away with the PP.

Wolves are my darkhorse for the Championship. I’ve been mocked for it so time to shine!

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
This team is looking like regular season hockey again. Bench needs to get them back into it.
Would not mind Dvorsky and Musty being glued to the bench for the rest of the first.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Wolves got bigger problems than biased announcers. Musty again on ice longer than he should be then turns it over. His play on the ice is concerning

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Well back to square one with idiotic turnovers and undisciplined after whistle and behind the play penalties. McKenzie get control of your bench.

Wolves beat themselves in the first period.

WJ

Really really bad so far. I will once again reiterate Zach Giroux is bad at hockey.
He has been uninspired to say the least. Really disappointed because his play with Flint appeared much more involved.

WJ

Awesome job to Goyette, absolutely pounded MacDonnel.
Have to love his intensity. Just wish we had someone else to do the nasty instead of our best player. Yearwood please stand up!!!

WJ

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Really really bad so far. I will once again reiterate Zach Giroux is bad at hockey.
He joins a long line of local born players who disappoint after the wolves trade for them. Really over local kids on the team, they always disappoint and don't seem to want to actually be here. Bradley Chenier was another in the same line.

Reactions: CTrain10

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
He joins a long line of local born players who disappoint after the wolves trade for them. Really over local kids on the team, they always disappoint and don't seem to want to actually be here. Bradley Chenier was another in the same line.
Don’t even get me started on Chenier. Bulitka was my favourite wolf for awhile, always 110% effort. Terrible trade for a terrible player.

Reactions: djscooter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad