Sudbury Wolves 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I'd say better late then never, but feels too late to even say that, should have never been back behind the bench.

This article specifies he's stepping down as head coach. He was also listed as Assistant GM, anyone know if he's maintaining this position?

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
1 week later after that embarrassing sweep, and it still stings. Playoffs told the tale, and it's a very sad and depressing tale. Dario and the Sudbury Wolves really missed the boat. Goaltending, coaching, going half ass in on the deadline (and that VanVliet deal cherry on the top - Papineau). All this and in turn now they will feel the sting of how many season ticket holders opt out. Some people waiting it out until May 30th to see what Dario does. They blew it

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
"Well ya know, we had the most talented team in franchise history and I took them to a hard fought 5th place and 2nd round sweep. Remember me as a legend, my work here is done." - Ken MacKenzie, probably.

Harsh, I know. I actually applaud him for taking the job that literally no one else seemed to want. Zulich needs to pay for a good coach to come here unfortunately, and we need to be accepting that guys walk out on us for the pros like Stillman did, that's just how the business works. No more cheap local guys who are not attuned to the modern game and are way over their heads (Duncanson, KMac), that's all I want.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
I think they would be crazy to not look at all options, but I believe its Berehowsky's to lose. So, ya I'm thinking they're crazy.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
One down, one gm to go, only if Zuluch had a clue. All rumors point to Berehowsky another recycle from the past...wouldn't be my choice.
Not my first choice either but at least all of his coaching has been during the modern era...which just makes him a big step-up on MacKenzie by itself.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
They'll perhaps look at Drake but I know others are in the mix whom previously coached in the league. Wonder if that new coach will be the assistant gm or they'll hire someone seperate.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
1 week later after that embarrassing sweep, and it still stings. Playoffs told the tale, and it's a very sad and depressing tale. Dario and the Sudbury Wolves really missed the boat. Goaltending, coaching, going half ass in on the deadline (and that VanVliet deal cherry on the top - Papineau). All this and in turn now they will feel the sting of how many season ticket holders opt out. Some people waiting it out until May 30th to see what Dario does. They blew it
Give it time, changes are coming

Reactions: Wiserbud

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I'd say better late then never, but feels too late to even say that, should have never been back behind the bench.

This article specifies he's stepping down as head coach. He was also listed as Assistant GM, anyone know if he's maintaining this position?
The belief is that he is retiring.

Reactions: dirty12

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Wish the wolves would give us an Early look at the rookies like past year's. Doesn't seem to be the case this year as well.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Burgess owned team for 25 years, zilch championships.
Not good.
Even worse, the team has been out of a playoff position three times in seven tries since Zullich took ownership. It is 3 out of 6, all three ending in first or second round sweeps with Papineau running the show.
There seems to be ingredients missing with Papineau teams; character, chemistry, defense? At least he is good at trading OHL players for draft picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: djscooter

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Not good.
Even worse, the team has been out of a playoff position three times in seven tries since Zullich took ownership. It is 3 out of 6, all three ending in first or second round sweeps with Papineau running the show.
There seems to be ingredients missing with Papineau teams; character, chemistry, defense? At least he is good at trading OHL players for draft picks.
Papineau needs to go but he's better than Barclay Branch, who got fleeced on every deal he made.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Papineau needs to go but he's better than Barclay Branch, who got fleeced on every deal he made.
Cub, it just sucks to suck.
Six years of essentially aimless sucking under Papineau is not better than anything. He took it upon himself to rebuild a rebuilding team with the results so far being zero games won in the 2nd round with 3 sells, 3 lottery picks, and 3 coaches.
I'm expecting the owner to retain his GM so he can rebuild the rebuild of the rebuild with a 4th coach and 4th sell. The only way I can imagine the wolves getting interest from a good coach is if Papineau relinquishes a significant amount of player personell decisions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad