Speculation: Success in Rogers Place?

tawheed

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
Okay, I'll preface this by saying this is a complete conspiracy, tin-foil hat wearing, tape over your webcam type theory.

I feel as if though the people at the top of the Oilers are planning / hoping for this team to become competitive just as they're getting into the new arena. How great would it be to get back into the playoffs as soon as you're in the bright, shiny building the owner of the team made into a reality?

As far fetched as this is, it brings me some peace as to why management make the ridiculous decisions they do.

:madfire: Flame on!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think you are giving far too much credit. What you see is what you get. Incompetence through and through.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
How great would it be to get back into the playoffs as soon as you're in the bright, shiny building the owner of the team made into a reality?

Significantly worse than having success now that carried over into the new arena.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Well management likes money, so I think they would take playoff revenue as soon as they could.

bucktown

Oct 27, 2009
Been saying this for years. Katz does not become as successful as he is without serious forethought and planning. The cupboards are being stocked while the kitchen is being built.

I would go as far as to say the continued level of managerial incompetence is a combination of deliberate design, and Katz having final say over a lot of the front office stuff.

I fully expect some major changes from the top down between now and the opening of the new building, including some major player pieces being (allowed to be) moved for the last ingredients in the recipe for success.

edit:
Well management likes money, so I think they would take playoff revenue as soon as they could.

The team is profitable without playoff revenue. Part of the reason why this plan (extended rebuild) is possible.

tawheed

Oct 4, 2010
Edmonton
Been saying this for years. Katz does not become as successful as he is without serious forethought and planning. The cupboards are being stocked while the kitchen is being built.

I would go as far as to say the continued level of managerial incompetence is a combination of deliberate design, and Katz having final say over a lot of the front office stuff.

I fully expect some major changes from the top down between now and the opening of the new building, including some major player pieces being (allowed to be) moved for the last ingredients in the recipe for success.

edit:

The team is profitable without playoff revenue. Part of the reason why this plan (extended rebuild) is possible.

Haha, I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way.. It really does all add up.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The real conspiracy is in 2013.

Steve Tambellini was replaced with Craig MacTavish when he was because Kevin Lowe thought the upward swing was beginning and he wanted to install his buddy as GM so that they could take all the credit.

In some ways I'm glad it backfired spectacularly.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The real conspiracy is in 2013.

Steve Tambellini was replaced with Craig MacTavish when he was because Kevin Lowe thought the upward swing was beginning and he wanted to install his buddy as GM so that they could take all the credit.

In some ways I'm glad it backfired spectacularly.

Completely disagree, but ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad