Subban & Markov: first-time 2 defencemen lead in points?

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Someone was saying on the mainboard that it never happened before. It would be pretty cool to see this, especially since teams are still having a really hard time against them on the PK. We saw that on Gally's goal yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
There's good and bad to this...we have two amazingly gifted blue-liners, but we also have no point producers up front...although in the future we'll be alright with the kids and if Patches can keep it going he'll most likely surpass Markov sooner or later. I can easily see Subban finishing 1st on the team in terms of points. If Chucky can produce like he is at 19, I'm salivating to see what it will be like when he is 23 and up.

As for the OP's question, I have no clue. It surely hasn't happened often

Pr3Va1L

Jul 2, 2008
I'm sure there were stretches in the past where Markov and (souray or streit ) were the leading scorers. Unlikely to finish the year like this though!

Edit: I'm sure looking at the total PP time will tell us why the stats are skewed towards the d-men.

Timelord

Stanley Cup polisher
Dec 18, 2011
I don't think I've ever seen such rear-heavy scoring before. I'm worried that it's masking deficiencies on offence. Both guys are piling on assists but none of the forwards are taking advantage of all that brilliant playmaking enough to be in the top twenty scorers.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
They're both excellent offensively but it just proves once again how our fowards sukk ballz

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
I'm sure there were stretches in the past where Markov and (souray or streit ) were the leading scorers. Unlikely to finish the year like this though!

I remember a few years ago Markov was leading the Habs in points with like 80 games played..but Kovalev ended up scoring a few points to finish the season as the points leader.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
No defenceman has led the Habs in points since Sprague Cleghorn did it in 1921-22. That's a long time ago.

Robinson got 82 points in 78 games in 85-86, which is pretty impressive too.

Odds are a forward will take over, but as it stands it puts Markov's and Subban's play into context as a dominant top pairing.

Last I checked they were on the ice for 70% of the Habs goals.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
I remember a few years ago Markov was leading the Habs in points with like 80 games played..but Kovalev ended up scoring a few points to finish the season as the points leader.

2008-2009. Kovalev went beast mode during that final stretch but was disappointing compared to the year before.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Maybe I'm the only who is pessimist, but I see it quite negatively......that means our offense is .....

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I think Zubov lead the Rangers in scoring during their stanley cup year... 89 pts for Zubov and 79 for Leetch .. tied for 3rd with Graves... Messier was 2nd with 84 pts

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I think Zubov lead the Rangers in scoring during their stanley cup year... 89 pts for Zubov and 79 for Leetch .. tied for 3rd with Graves... Messier was 2nd with 84 pts

1 Russian + 1 NA... with hopefully the same result in June.;)

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I went back and checked the log.

In 2008-9, Markov played his last game (injured) on April 4th and finished with 64 points. Kovalev played 4 more games getting two points to finish the season with 65 points.

But to be frank, I do not expect both to be top-2 scorer of our club.
Galchenyuk has shown in the past that he keeps improving during the season and Pacioretty is probably rise very fast to be among the top-5 in the team. Galchenyuk could very well get 65-70 points.

PK and Markov, for now, have a pace of 125 points.
Back in 2007-8, we had Markov and Streit who scored 120 points together.

Edit: Back in 1976-7, Robinson had 85 points and Lapointe had 76 points: 161 points together in 154 games (2X77 games).

Last edited:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
well id take the same results of the 94 Rangers.. like i posted just above!.. plus Leetch lead all scoring in the Playoffs with 34 points!

That Rangers team was a lot better than this team and almost didn't even win the cup that year.

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
I was so baffled last summer when some people here were claming it was time to trade Markov. I hope they realise now that it was a poor evaluation on their part. Giving Markov every opportunities to come back strong was a bet that habs management had to take.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Maybe I'm the only who is pessimist, but I see it quite negatively......that means our offense is .....

I don't understand we're one of the team in the league with the most stacked talent up front. OK there aren't big stars but why bother if we keep winning games.

Galchenyuk will eventually be a PPG+ player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad