Speculation: Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Not sure if it was mentioned in here, but Subban was supposed to have an on-air interview with Nilan at 1:30pm today, but said he couldn't make it -- via text message -- because he was one the phone with his agent. Not going to speculate anything because it really could be nothing at all, but it's a bit weird for someone to be on the phone with their agent in June.

For an event maybe? You don't have an agent to talk only about the negotiations.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No it's not. I truly believe that he's convinced having done the right thing and I agree with him. He will have had Subban at a discount for two years with the cap going down, knowing that the price will go up for his next contract, just like he did for others before. He also knows that if push comes to shove, Makov and Gionta's contracts will expire by then and it's very much likely that the cap will go back up, as it's already predicted that it will reach the same level it is today, around $70M.

Because some can't understand or simply turn a blind eye to the financial implication of the game doesn't make Bergevin's decision a bad one.

The financial implications are one of the reasons people think it was a bad idea. We ended up with over 3m in unused cap space last season so so far the cap space we've saved has dione nothing so far.

NewbieOfGames

Apr 10, 2013
Québec, CAN
Not sure if it was mentioned in here, but Subban was supposed to have an on-air interview with Nilan at 1:30pm today, but said he couldn't make it -- via text message -- because he was one the phone with his agent. Not going to speculate anything because it really could be nothing at all, but it's a bit weird for someone to be on the phone with their agent in June.

Subban had an interview yesterday night, i listenned to him at 98,5 FM around 11:30 pm. It was pretty awsome :yo:. Well he basically answer the same questions people ask forever....Do you think youre going to feel more pressure because now youre a Norris winner and people will focus you....Subban: No, i think iv'e always been a player that is part of the other team plans and i dont think it will change that much next year. They asked him if he feel a little bit like Carey Price, that he would not go out etc. He said : i think every person is unique, they all respond dirrently to a same situation. In my case, ive been growing up in a big city (Toronto) and watching the toronto leafs, so i dont think i feel anyway pressure from a big market, i just concentrate on my game and focussing been the best player i can... Then they asked him if the Habs are able to compete in term of physicality with such teams as the Bruins that are in the playoffs. He said that yes, everybody that goes on the ice know hes going to get hit and hes going to hit. He said in the past years, the match up between Bruins and Habs are been pretty fair and in the playoffs when Habs lost in 7 it could have went eighter ways.
maybe i forget some, but it was really a nice interview :)

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
PK will ink his long term extension next year, and for how much, I dont care!
We can only be so lucky he is a hab.

This post should be a thread closer.

PK had a season most DMen dream about. Pay him for it.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This thread has some interesting mental gymnastics in it.;)

Some people are angry that Bergevin cheated Subban out of money with the bridge contract and say that he should have been signed to a long term deal for less $$$ that what he will now get...........which would be cheating Subban out of money long term.

:laugh::laugh:

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I still don't see what the big deal is.. So he makes 6.5 mil a year for 7-8 years after this season who cares, instead of 5 mil starting this season past... It's 1.5 mil..

Calculated Five mil a year from last season to 7 years up to '19 season.. Which btw I don't think he would have signed more than 5 mil per for five or six seasons (MAX he would have brought himself to 28-29 UFA age which is the biggest payout) and then break down the 6.5 he'll get for 7 or ~6.85 for 8 years and stop at '19 season for arguments sake of a 7 year 5 mil per - which never would have happened - but whatever let's do it.

'13 - 5 mil Cap Hell
'14 - 5 mil Cap Hell
'15 - 5 mil
'16 - 5 mil
'17 - 5 mil
'18 - 5 mil (more likely scenario, a ridiculous contract)
'19 - 5 mil
***35 Mil
'20 definitely more than 6.5
'21 definitely more than 6.5

'13 - 2.875
'14 - 2.875
'15 - 6.5
'16 - 6.5
'17 - 6.5
'18 - 6.5
'19 - 6.5
***38.25 mil
'20 - 6.5
'21 - 6.5
32 years old slightly more manageable

With cap projected to go up from 64 mil after next season now we're not handcuffed to trade someone in off season or even last season ffor that matter becasue we were hard pressed with Gomez on books.

I really really really don't understand why this has to be a 4 month conversation.. Bergevin didn't do anything stupid.. I know some of you think he's going to get 8 mil plus but ain't happening. Karlsson won norris last year and signed for 6.5 roughly same age and closer comparable overall..

Just get over it really it's almost irrelevant

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No it's not. I truly believe that he's convinced having done the right thing and I agree with him. He will have had Subban at a discount for two years with the cap going down, knowing that the price will go up for his next contract, just like he did for others before. He also knows that if push comes to shove, Makov and Gionta's contracts will expire by then and it's very much likely that the cap will go back up, as it's already predicted that it will reach the same level it is today, around $70M.

Because some can't understand or simply turn a blind eye to the financial implication of the game doesn't make Bergevin's decision a bad one.

that is irrelevant since he showed last season that he was in no rush to spend to the cap, and he's already made it evident that he's not going to pursue UFA or trading picks for quick fixes in the short term.

he didn't need to save that cap space right now, given the level of the team, its cap situation, and his patient approach.

after next season, even with Markov/Gionta contracts expiring and hoping the cap will go up, we also will have Emelin, Eller & Diaz in line for significant raises (we hope), not too mention the roster replacements or extensions for Markov/Gionta, and any potential moves/signings this off season or next to improve the team.

really is no way, especially how things have played out, to argue that the situation turned out well for the team from a cap & roster building perspective.

cognitive disonance is a powerful thing, but if MB really believes he'd do the same thing over, we might, sadly, be dealing with another "Gainey-Type" whose supreme confidence in his "policies" do nothing but screw up our cap & ability to build on an organizational strength of strong drafting...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Don't worry...Bergevin will lowball Subban again and if Subban doesn't accept the offer, Bergy will blame it on a lack of character.

HabsRealist

Jul 23, 2009
PK will get more, he is better all around, hits, marketable and the biggest thing, a Norris trophy winner.

We better get ready for a big cap chunk, but a Norris winner is what we have dreamed about for a long time since Chesowaz.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Probably could have signed him for 5 yrs at 5mil per last year.

At some point, Molson has to question some of these moves.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
So, Letang at 8 years/58 million.

We can assume PK will be a comparable?

Subban has RFA years remaining so I would think $6.5 million would be about right. Letang isn't worth what he got, imo, not that that matters.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I don't think Subban will be as greedy but it definitely is a comparable.

Why would he play nice? Bergevin was a dick during negotiation...he will cash in his big paycheck and he deserve it. Bergevin shouldn't have given him a low ball offer in the first place.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This thread has some interesting mental gymnastics in it.;)

Some people are angry that Bergevin cheated Subban out of money with the bridge contract and say that he should have been signed to a long term deal for less $$$ that what he will now get...........which would be cheating Subban out of money long term.

:laugh::laugh:

I don't see what's so hard to differentiate.

People wanted PK signed long term before exploding and having another solid season (he exploded more than anybody imagined in already grabbing a Norris). So the comprise here is that PK gets dollars he hasn't really earned yet, he gets the faith of management in them offering him a long term contract, and he agrees to cheaper dollars than what he would likely ask in a couple of years. Both sides make compromises. It has nothing to do with cheating anybody out. Nobody was mad Bergevin cheated PK out of some money, they were disappointed MB showed little vision and faith in who many already saw as a star (and a superstar in the making).

PK is likely going to get around 2-3M more than what he would have signed for. He won't be getting the same deal than the one pre-Norris.

Not at all similar situations.

We kept hearing how we can't sign players for cheap here, how we always need to overpay, how we no stars want to play here. How we need a GM with vision, willing to take risks, and capable of locking up the younger talent for a long term at a cheap price. We had a chance to sign a sure star to a cheaper long term deal but played hardball with him. Now his cap hit will triple.

It's not the end of the world. PK will be worth his cash. But the point is we could have had him for cheaper, and it's always better to save cash any time you can.

It's pretty simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad