Stuart Skinner worst playoff sv% since Cloutier.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Were those Canuck teams good enough to be final 4 in the league for the 3-4 window that Naslund/Bertuzzi dominated?

A better goalie than Cloutier would be important but was the team deep enpugh offensively and strong enough at defensr to beat Red Wings, Stars, Devils, Avs and other heavy contenders of that era?

I didnt watch those teams so was curious if those canuck teams were better than a fully healthy 2024 canuck team?

They were definitely must watch TV. I was not a canucks fan but even I felt compelled to watch if the Canucks were on TV.

2003 was a huge missed opportunity. The path had opened up to the final because of the number of upsets that had happened. Cloutier absolutely crapped the bed.

the top line was very dynamic, now imagine if the sedins had figured things out by then.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
They were definitely must watch TV. I was not a canucks fan but even I felt compelled to watch if the Canucks were on TV.

2003 was a huge missed opportunity. The path had opened up to the final because of the number of upsets that had happened. Cloutier absolutely crapped the bed.

the top line was very dynamic, now imagine if the sedins had figured things out by then.

The Sedins didn’t have their mojo until after the lockout. That’s when they officially broke out past the Naslund /Bertuzzi combo.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
For the life of me I cannot understand why they wouldn't give up a 3rd rounder to get Allen at the deadline as an insurance policy. At best it was a short-sighted decision.
Because they already have Pickard and Campbell waiting in the wings?

I agree that upgrading the goaltending position should have been strongly considered, but adding more "meh" to a stable already full of meh doesn't really help.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I say it every year and oilers fans roast me every year but they’re never going to win with their current level of goaltending. Ever.

Lots of goalies have won cups with D on par with the oilers’. When can we stop blaming the D and accept that they have (at best) mediocre goaltending?

Skinner might be a backup on a ton of teams. They can’t get a save
You either need great D & average goaltending (Colorado) or average D & great goaltending to win. Problem is the Oilers have average D and below average goaltending.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
meh would look pretty damn good right now
Agreed. But like I wrote, Oilers already have Pics and Campbell waiting on the bench / in the pressbox. Would having Allen sitting on the sidelines with them too improve the situation in any meaningful way?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Were those Canuck teams good enough to be final 4 in the league for the 3-4 window that Naslund/Bertuzzi dominated?

A better goalie than Cloutier would be important but was the team deep enpugh offensively and strong enough at defensr to beat Red Wings, Stars, Devils, Avs and other heavy contenders of that era?

I didnt watch those teams so was curious if those canuck teams were better than a fully healthy 2024 canuck team?
100%. They were damn close in 2003, and Cloutier just absolutely imploded against Minnesota. Then the one year where he was actually playing above average... he got injured, and the Canucks lose in 7 to the Flames who went on to the finals (and beat the Wings and Sharks in 6).

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Agreed. But like I wrote, Oilers already have Pics and Campbell waiting on the bench / in the pressbox. Would having Allen sitting on the sidelines with them too improve the situation in any meaningful way?
I think with allen series would at least be 2-1 Oilers so yeah

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Are people watching the actual games? The defense in front of him is below that of a WHL team. Guys wide open, pizzas right up the middle, every game.

Garland got him bad and now everything is a bad goal against. Play some defense.

What game are you watching?

The Oilers gave up less than 20 shots against last game, and only a couple of high danger chances...BOTH of which ended up in the net. Just because none of the goals last night were terrible, doesn't mean he's not the problem.

The last stats I saw, had Skinner near the bottom of the list in both goals saved above expected, and high danger save percentage.

No team can go an entire game without giving up a couple of decent chances against. The main difference is that most of those teams, get a couple of saves on those chances. Skinner on the other hand is a f***ing human funnel.

I'll die believing that the Oilers would have won the cup last year if they had gotten mediocre goaltending. This year, I'm not as convinced of that because Dallas and Colorado are both so good in the West, and the Rangers are freaking amazing, but it doesn't change the fact that once again, Skinner has been the team's Achilles heel.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

That 2003 team had no chance against New Jersey or Ottawa.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Normally I'm all for crucifying a goaltender, but the defensive breakdowns that led to the goals last night were hilarious. I think greaser fans are reaching trying to blame the goaltender because of how bad their defensive system are, and, how many high danger chances they surrendered. I'm not going to cry any tears for a team that has been gifted so many number one picks. I wish them nothing but failure in the postseason
It's funny you quote high danger chances and don't actually look at high danger chance statistics lol. Yeah they had a bad breakdown on the 2nd goal and Foegele has a terrible turnover on the 3rd goal. Hilarious that people think this doesn't happen at least a few times each night to most teams. Draisaitl had 2 breakaways last night is that not terrible defensive breakdowns?

Why isn’t there a more of a call out of the team in front of him.

Team defence, depth, strong defence corps, structured play, puck battles etc is a hallmark of all the remaining teams except the Oilers.
Because the stats don't support the idea that he should be letting in this many goals.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
What game are you watching?

The Oilers gave up less than 20 shots against last game, and only a couple of high danger chances...BOTH of which ended up in the net. Just because none of the goals last night were terrible, doesn't mean he's not the problem.

The last stats I saw, had Skinner near the bottom of the list in both goals saved above expected, and high danger save percentage.

No team can go an entire game without giving up a couple of decent chances against. The main difference is that most of those teams, get a couple of saves on those chances. Skinner on the other hand is a f***ing human funnel.

I'll die believing that the Oilers would have won the cup last year if they had gotten mediocre goaltending. This year, I'm not as convinced of that because Dallas and Colorado are both so good in the West, and the Rangers are freaking amazing, but it doesn't change the fact that once again, Skinner has been the team's Achilles heel.
Yeah, overall I have been really impressed with the Oilers defensive game in these playoffs. The amount of shots and lack of quality scoring chances they are giving up each game is pretty good. Of course they have given up some good scoring chances, every team does in the playoffs but the difference is those other teams have goalies who can actually stop some of the quality scoring chances and most of the routine shots. Skinner has not even been reliable enough to make the average saves in these playoffs. I am nervous about every single shot on net no matter how weak it is against him.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hate to pile on but Skinner never really passed “the eye test” to me. Very average lateral movement, reflexes, and athleticism for an NHL starting goalie.

The contrast is pretty stark to Sliovs, who looks like prime MAF in comparison
I don't disagree at all on your eye test assessment of Skinner, but when he plays with confidence he actually challenges shooters. Now he's just retreating in his net and making himself small to cover the "bad goals", but in the process he's giving shooters even more to shoot at which is supposed to be where his strength lies as a big positional goalie. For all the talk about how "calm and cool" Skinner is, he sure wilts under pressure and loses his confidence at the worst times where his game goes to complete shit.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Agreed. What was weird last year is that despite a horrible regular season, campbell was great i. Relief of skinner every time they inserted him mid-gane but despite this they kept giving the mext staft to skinner. I have no delusians of pickard being great, but theyd be dumb not to give him a shot at this point. Stu is clearly cracked under pressure. Pickard might at least be stable mentally. They just need close to avg tending

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I think with allen series would at least be 2-1 Oilers so yeah
I still don't think Knoblach changes goalies even if it's Allen as backup and not Pickard. It's pretty clear that Stu is his guy. Only now might we see a goaltender change. My guess is that we still don't though.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Sedins didn’t have their mojo until after the lockout. That’s when they officially broke out past the Naslund /Bertuzzi combo.
Yep, I remember them keeping possession endlessly on the perimeter but they hadn't quite figured the league out at the time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's been absolute garbage, I can't believe they started him in game 3.
Even putting him back in during the last minutes of the 3rd for the empty net I think was a jynx.
That was actually a pretty creative way to get an extra 30 seconds rest for McDavid's unit after they were just out there for 2 minutes to get the 4-3 goal.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Many Oilers fan believe their defenses is the worst the league ever had, It a way to cope for atrocious goaltending.

Every Defense make mistakes and give grade A chances, its easy to overlook the ones the opposing team make.

The reality is the Oilers defense ranked between top 3 and top 5 all year in a multitude of stats but I guess it better to blame Cody Ceci on goals where he sitting on the bench...

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That 2003 team had no chance against New Jersey or Ottawa.

I wouldn't have favored them but you're in the finals and are 4 wins away. I wouldn't rule anything as "no chance" and playoff history suggests the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad