Strongest Teams That Didn't Win a Cup

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Everyone seems to have a hard on for the 2011 Nucks, I understand they had to deal with the salary cap but they are getting swept or close to it by the 93 Pens, 95 Wings, 01 Devils, 03-04 Avs without question. The teams from the 90's and early 00's are way to strong for the modern day teams. The Penguins team that won the Cup last season would have difficulty winning one game against any of the squads I mentioned. (and they were all cup runner ups)

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Wings missed Cups

95-Swept by Devils in Final
96-Lost to Colorado in conference final
99-Osgood breaks foot in first rd sweep of the Ducks, lost in next rd. to Colorado.
09-Fleury stones Wings in last two games.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Canucks weren't really that strong, they just managed to do everything right to get themselves to the final. Still should've won, not Boston.

Uh, yes they were... They were the best team in the league by far going into the playoffs.

You're acting like they were a 6-8 seed Cinderella team...

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
Everyone seems to have a hard on for the 2011 Nucks, I understand they had to deal with the salary cap but they are getting swept or close to it by the 93 Pens, 95 Wings, 01 Devils, 03-04 Avs without question. The teams from the 90's and early 00's are way to strong for the modern day teams. The Penguins team that won the Cup last season would have difficulty winning one game against any of the squads I mentioned. (and they were all cup runner ups)

03-04 Avs didn't make it out of the first round IIRC. Which is a shame since they loaded up with Kariya and Selanne.. what a team for NHL 2005 GM mode.

Jaromir Blogger

Oct 15, 2014
Came here to post this. They really could'e had at least one more cup

Ditto. What a phenomenal team, and they even lost in the Quarterfinals. That was Espo's 152-point campaign, if I recall correctly.

The 95-96 Wings were a great team, too. What a wonderful array of talent.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Most of these teams will be losers of the conference Final when two epic teams meet for the right to go to the Final. Plus any team with multiple Cups like the 80s Oilers and 90s Pens that lost due to some flukey reason.

I'll say the 86 Oilers.

Nuke

Mar 2, 2007
Here's an underrated one. The 92-93 Buffalo Sabres. Not the best team ever to not win, but a damn good one. Think about it....that team had what....4-5 Hall of Famers or soon to be HoF'ers on it?

Lafontaine
Hawerchuck
Mogilny
Fuhr

and Hasek

For most of that season they had Dave Anderchuck too. They traded him for Grant Fuhr. If they had played their cards right they coulda had Anderchuck on offense and Hasek in goal for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad