Strome vs. Dvorak

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Hello Coyotes 2.0 fans :) (sorry, I had to)

Greetings from the Blackhawks board! I don't post too often but I have a question for you.

I really like the direction that the Yotes are heading in and I am wondering who you are higher on for point production, Strome vs. Dvorak?

Who has better odds this season of sticking with the club? PP time? Who will progress into the better forward?

I haven't had much chance to catch any preseason games but I was just wondering on your projections. I trust you guys more so than the "expert" hockey writers out there.

Thanks!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Hello Coyotes 2.0 fans :) (sorry, I had to)

Greetings from the Blackhawks board! I don't post too often but I have a question for you.

I really like the direction that the Yotes are heading in and I am wondering who you are higher on for point production, Strome vs. Dvorak?

Who has better odds this season of sticking with the club? PP time? Who will progress into the better forward?

I haven't had much chance to catch any preseason games but I was just wondering on your projections. I trust you guys more so than the "expert" hockey writers out there.

Thanks!

You're asking for us to play the expectation game. I am equally high on both players to meet their expectations as #1 line centers. We should end up with 3 first line centers when we get Clayton Keller after he gets his fill of coeds.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
You're asking for us to play the expectation game. I am equally high on both players to meet their expectations as #1 line centers. We should end up with 3 first line centers when we get Clayton Keller after he gets his fill of coeds.

Yes, I apologize if this is a big ask. I just haven't seen enough of either while in your organization to anticipate which is better. I wasn't sure if there was a distinguishable level between them from what you all had seen at this level.

Sorry if this thread is too "crystal-ball". Just wondered if you guys had any insight from what you'd witnessed so far.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Way higher on Dvorak. More complete player, less questions, adaptable game. Figure a really good #2 like Ryan O'Reilly.

Strome has higher raw upside. He could be a franchise game changer style center if he ever puts it together, but right now he's still trying to figure out the NHL game.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Interesting to hear your perspectives! Thank you. The poll is quite close. I've seen them both at the junior level but hadn't kept track.

So, is it safe to say that both will make it out of camp to stick with the team?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Dvorak will start the season better, and have a better first half overall, but I think strome will have a much better second half and overall will turn into a better player. I've never Ben quit as high on dvo as some on here though, full disclosure. I think he'll be damn good, just not a number 1 center.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
DVO for sure. As of right now, Strome has yet to show much for a 3rd overall pick that was expected to be an elite center. Especially when compared to other high draft picks that came from his draft and the ones before and after.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Interesting to hear your perspectives! Thank you. The poll is quite close. I've seen them both at the junior level but hadn't kept track.

So, is it safe to say that both will make it out of camp to stick with the team?

Similar to Duclair and Domi, roster space has been cleared to ensure they will be on the NHL roster this year. Guys like Dauphin and Crouse are on the bubble, Dvorak and Strome aren't.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It is way too early to write off Strome. Comparing him to McDavid or even Eichel is unfair. Those players both project to be truly elite centers. McDavid will probably be the best player in the league within a few seasons.

Strome has skating issues, and I'm sure he'll continue to work on them whether he's in Arizona or Erie this year. As it stands today, he might have the best vision and creativity on the whole team already. Not every top center in the league is a burner, either. Thornton, Spezza, Sedin, Tavares, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Johansen are all legitimate number one centers in this league, and none of them is especially speedy. Strome has enough going for him that if he can be even a mediocre skater (and with Dawn Braid, that seems more than achievable), he should be able to carve out a very productive career.

Strome seems to have underwhelmed many fans through camp and preseason. Some of us expected that. But "Strome probably isn't a point-per-game NHL center while he's still CHL-eligible" is a lot different from "Strome will never be a point-per-game NHL center." I'm increasingly bullish on Dvorak, but Strome still has a much higher ceiling.

It's also worth mentioning that, with Keller in the mix, only two of these guys need to turn into top six centers for this to work out. Keller seems to be the one most think would shift to the wing since he's smaller than the other two, but I think Strome's skating issues could be a bigger hindrance to playing center. As a future top nine, this doesn't look too bad to me:

Domi-Keller-Fischer
Strome-Dvorak-Duclair
Perlini-MacInnis-Crouse

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Way higher on Dvorak. More complete player, less questions, adaptable game. Figure a really good #2 like Ryan O'Reilly.

Strome has higher raw upside. He could be a franchise game changer style center if he ever puts it together, but right now he's still trying to figure out the NHL game.

XX pretty much hit it on the ball.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
From what I've seen from Strome, he doesn't really need to "put it together." He makes and acts on decisions at an NHL pace. His legs just don't move fast enough at top speed, and his first few steps need work.

Some of that is probably just raw strength, and some of that is a matter of form. Both of those should improve to some extent. He's probably already fine to break in as a wing, but if he wants to play center, his acceleration needs to improve.

If his skating improves enough, I think he's a heady enough player to make a Kopitar-like impact at both ends of the ice. If he can't get much faster, he can still be an impact player along the wing, along the lines of a Blake Wheeler, Brandon Saad or Corey Perry. He's already shown enough that I don't think there's any chance he busts.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I thought Strome played poorly against the Canucks and okay against the Ducks. Those are the only two times I've seen him this pre-season in game action so that really hasn't impacted my opinion on him.

So I still consider Strome the better prospect. People really sleep on Strome's shot and Dvorak doesn't possess that kind of weapon in his offensive toolbox from what I've seen. I don't think Dvorak ever has first line numbers at C offensively. Dvorak will probably be better this season but it also wouldn't surprise me to see Strome have a surge in the 2nd half.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm just really happy we have Strome, Dvo and Mac down the middle. You can number them however you want. The future is VERY bright.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So I still consider Strome the better prospect. People really sleep on Strome's shot and Dvorak doesn't possess that kind of weapon in his offensive toolbox from what I've seen.

Dvorak has an equally good shot which he used a lot in London. Considering he doesn't need a century to get it off, I'd say it's even better than Strome's.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I think that there is a very good chance these two end up being a 1A 1B centers. I very much so look forward to seeing their development. I think that Strome has a higher ceiling, but Dvorak has a higher floor.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Dvorak is better than Strome right this instant and should have more points this season. Strome may have a more productive career than Dvorak if you fast forward to 25 years from now, but you can't exactly do that, so we don't know for now.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I thought Strome played poorly against the Canucks and okay against the Ducks. Those are the only two times I've seen him this pre-season in game action so that really hasn't impacted my opinion on him.

So I still consider Strome the better prospect. People really sleep on Strome's shot and Dvorak doesn't possess that kind of weapon in his offensive toolbox from what I've seen. I don't think Dvorak ever has first line numbers at C offensively. Dvorak will probably be better this season but it also wouldn't surprise me to see Strome have a surge in the 2nd half.

DVO is actually known for having a very good shot and it's incredibly accurate.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Peering in to my (often hazy) crystal ball, I think that Dvorak will score more points throughout his career, but Strome will bring more intangibles to the team. I'm thinking Dvorak may not have as long of an NHL career as Strome, but at present, I think I'm higher on Dvorak (at least in the near future) largely because I think he has more offensive potential whereas Strome is a more "balanced" player

My guesses:
  • Dvorak will play roughly 500-600 NHL games and will hover around .8 to .9 PPG
  • Strome will play around 800-900 NHL games and will average around .6 to .7 PPG

NOTE: don't attack me for these predictions, blame my crystal ball instead :)

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
In my heart I want Strome ,, as I think all of our "hopes" are in him . But At this point Dvorak.

I think Strome's potential is higher but not sure he will reach it , I think Dvorak will get closer to reaching his.

That is how I feel at this point

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I can't believe how close this is. I appreciate everyone's input! Definitely going to be watching as to how these two progress this season. Best of luck to the Yotes in the Pacific but please keep the 2012 first-round shenanigans/Mike Smith god-mode for another team this year. My heart couldn't take another series like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad